Wireless Router

Sonar

I want to spend around £0-30 on a wireless router but unsure what brand or what router.

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

Edit

Yes I too like Buffalo. My first wireless router was a Buffalo, before their lawsuit. Well I should say my first real wireless router, I did have a Netgear before and after that I realised Netgear was shit and did some research and ended up with Buffalo.

A comparable model to the ASUS RT-N12 is the Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N. Both have similar features and range and 32MB of ram. Asus uses Broadcom cpu and this Buffalo is using Atheros cpu. Up to personal preference from there on.

Only reason to stick with a brand is if your wireless clients make use of a propriety technology, for example Broadcom cpu supports Afterburner. Atheros has their own one called Super-G. This is assuming you still have some wireless g devices. If you have all 802.11n then it won't matter what brand you pick here.

Went out and bought the Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N.

Thanks Leet for the suggestion.

Alot more options to play with then a Virgin Netgear...

Keep the topic going.... keep on suggestin guys...

• Replies 16
  • Views 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Linksys = crap

Netgear = junk

Belkin = rubbish

I rarely see routers from any of these three last longer than 2-3 years.

I am on my fifth year with my Buffalo router, though I did mod it my cutting a big square out of the casing and adding a large heatsink to the main chip.

ROMANTICGUY50

See if you can get a free one from your internet provider.

I was able too get one Netgear wireless from Comcast. If it breaks they have to replace it.

I have a netgear one from virgin media already but the coverage is crap.

my friend only lives a few down from me and i get a week signal.

Edit

I checked out the ASUS RT-N12 Didnt liek the look of it :P

Yes I too like Buffalo. My first wireless router was a Buffalo, before their lawsuit. Well I should say my first real wireless router, I did have a Netgear before and after that I realised Netgear was shit and did some research and ended up with Buffalo.

A comparable model to the ASUS RT-N12 is the Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N. Both have similar features and range and 32MB of ram. Asus uses Broadcom cpu and this Buffalo is using Atheros cpu. Up to personal preference from there on.

Only reason to stick with a brand is if your wireless clients make use of a propriety technology, for example Broadcom cpu supports Afterburner. Atheros has their own one called Super-G. This is assuming you still have some wireless g devices. If you have all 802.11n then it won't matter what brand you pick here.

• 6 months later...

Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N does look smart. Its gotta come all the way from hong kong!!! geeeeze lol... ebay....

• 3 weeks later...

2 weeks later the router arrives... It has many more options then my netgear to play with ahhhh!

I'm on it now running smoothly, 2 laptops & xbox 360 both connected to wireless.

Thanks once again for the suggestion.

grouchysmurf

Azio AWR214N 802.11n 300Mbps 4 Port Wireless Router-2T3R Ret

around 41 dollars online. I have no idea what that converts to in Europe money.

I have had mine..as a matter of fact, since I had to replace the linksys crap, about 4 years.

Mine is actually a lower end than the one mentioned above, but I can stay connected 4 houses down and across the street.

I don`t know if you can find these in your country :

- D-Link DIR-615

- TP-LINK TL-WR841ND

- TP-LINK TL-WR941ND

- TENDA W307R

I don`t know if you can find these in your country :

- D-Link DIR-615

- TP-LINK TL-WR841ND

- TP-LINK TL-WR941ND

- TENDA W307R

yes they are in my local computer shop - but there cheap routers.

In the first place you said ``I want to spend around £0-30 on a wireless router`` - and that`s why I recommended those routers , with functions comparable to the one LeetPirate recommended you - but maybe that ASUS RT-N12 it`s the best choice you have at that price .

In the first place you said ``I want to spend around £0-30 on a wireless router`` - and that`s why I recommended those routers , with functions comparable to the one LeetPirate recommended you - but maybe that ASUS RT-N12 it`s the best choice you have at that price .

I wanted something different to play with instead of the cheap local shops junk :D - I may try an asus in the future (by then there will be soemthing better then mentiond).

I know theres probly 1000000's guides out there - but none are on nsane. I think some 1 should create a guide over in the right forum on some of the current leading routers.

Archived