Antivirus for Windows Server 2003

johndoe

Hi, could I please have some expert advice on which is the best antivirus to install on Windows Server 2003 acting as a domain controller, file and exchange server. this is for someone on a shoestring budget so it would be most suitable for them if the antivirus suggested here is a licensed or cracked one that has a client module that can protect windows xp clients connected to the server and one that can be updated online daily. they were previously using symantec antivirus corporate edition but that is worse than crap...

Staff Note: Edited the title. ;)

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nothings best every AV has some benifit and drawbacks basically for server and clients most of the industries prefer mcafee enterprise,symantec enterprise editions but now days other leading AV companies also in the race like kaspersky and ESEt NOD32

go to there homepages and check all the things u need and then decide it would be good if u chek the comparisons to every antivirus software just google it or go here hope this will help u a bit :)

ok so the next obvious question, where can i find a freebie type (warez/cracked) working copy of nod32 that can do all of the above and also be safe to leave connected to the Internet as in, updating itself regularly and not get disabled cuz it reported itself as an illegal copy ? ^_^ :unsure:

Using ESET business in a setup like yours would require a license file. A file with an extension of ".lic". Not just the username and password. You need this file installed in the ESET Remote Administrator Server (included in the business package) so this server could replicate the update files and be available to your clients. You will also need the ESET Remote Administrator Console (also included in the business package) to manage the workstations you want to get protected/updated.

The role of the ESET Remote Administrator Server is to centralized the administration of all ESET products installed in your network. The ESET Remote Administrator Server will be the only one to download the updates from the internet and the clients will download the update from the server (through http) so can save bandwidth.

The ESET Remote Administrator Console can be installed on a server or a client so you can remotely administer all ESET products connected to the server. You can use this to remotely install ESET products to a client connected to your Network or Active Directory. You can also see various status of clients connected to the server like threats, firewall intrusions, clients with an outdated virus signature, etc.

Edit: I forgot to mention, since you also have an Exchange Server you also might want to install ESET Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server. This will protect your Exchange Server by scanning all incoming e-mails from viruses, spams, etc. to your server.

Unless you plan to use the ESET remote administrator server and console then there is no point in installing nod32 business editions. And as ck_kent mentions, the lic file is required, it's not easy to find a crack for eset remote administrator tools.

You could try out nod32 with some offline update solutions where you set the client computers to update from a folder on the server.

http://www.nsaneforu...-5791-20110116/

http://www.nsaneforu...te-definitions/

Hi, thanks everyone for the replies, sorry couldn't post and thank you guys earlier but its been kinda hectic past 3-4 days. actually what happened was, a liveupdate of the server and its subsequent updating of clients caused them to stop accessing the main network share on our server. at first we suspected it was a virus that had got past the antivirus cuz all of a sudden we started getting quota errors, could not service request errors, task manager and registry editor stopped working. we put standalone versions of avg on a client and avast on another client but neither could detect a virus. the domain controller was running a bunch of services and had been giving off a lot of eventlog erros the past few weeks and we suspected that might have gone bad on us. we switched to backup server but that didnt work out as well as we had hoped it would and people were getting permission errors... anyways, to cut a long story short, we eventually figured out it was the antivirus (symantec antivirus corporate 9) that was the cause of all the problems after it had been liveupdated as all the clients were able to get connected to the network share once the antivirus client was updated.

i really couldn't decide on which antivirus to replace SAVCE9 with that would fulfill all our needs. I believe all of the solutions suggested above by u guys need full-time hands on maintenance and monitoring to ensure that they don't get detected as cracked/illegal copies and get disabled while getting live updated. i'm not present always to do this and the people that are, wouldn't be able to handle the issue if it came up.

so what i eventually decided to do was uninstall SAVCE9 and replace it with SAVCE10. I downloaded the latest XDB and VDB and put them in the installation source of SAVCE so it would be fully up to date when installed and wouldnt need liveupdating (at least immediately after install). rolled out the antivirus server installation today and a couple of test clients as well. the clients that were installed today were successfully able to access the shared resource that was previously becoming inaccessible with SAVCE9. i've delegated switching over the rest of the clients to the new server over the next few days and they will keep me posted on how its going.

thanks again everyone for your input

Corporate Edition is no longer in production, if you want to keep using a Symantec product then you should use the latest version of Symantec Endpoint Protection which is the successor of SA Corporate Edition.

Archived