Disable Font Cache Rebuilding in VLC

DKT27

• Administrator

9paW2.png

VLC is certainly one of the greatest media players around, but some people have been noticing an annoyance in which it "rebuilds the font cache" nearly every time you start it up. Here's how to disable that behavior.

Rebuilding the font cache not only takes time, sometimes it can make VLC hang completely, which can get old quickly. To make it stop, just open up VLC and go to Tools > Preferences. Hit the "All" radio button in the bottom left hand corner, then go to Video > Subtitles/OSD in the left-hand pane. In the Text Rendering Module dropdown, pick "Dummy Font Renderer Function" and hit save. The next time you open VLC, you should be free of that annoying cache-building dialog.

NJ6b0.png

How to Disable Font Cache Dialog of VLC Player

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SacredCultivator

Thanks for this, as that definitely bugged the heck out of me everytime I use it (portable).

• 2 weeks later...

But by changing this setting subs were not shown in the movie I was going to see now :blink: Reversing the changed setting subs are there...

• Administrator

Well the tweak is to disable Subtitles completely.

But I finally found a workaround. The website that had posted this article, had a comment saying this:

I solved this by running the VLC.exe in Vista Service Pack 1 compatibility mode. I am running Win 7 64-bit. Browse to where you have VLC installed to (C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC) and right click on the vlc.exe file, select properties and choose compatibility mode. Ensure the “run this program in compatiblity mode” check box is selected. Choose Vista SP1 and click apply. You will need Admin rights to do this obviously. Anyhow, the program starts instantaneously and the completely annoying and seemingly useless font cache “feature” disappears. Who ever decided to include this functionality should be ridiculed mercilessly. Can you imagine if you loaded a web page in a browser and before you could use it, you had to wait 10 minutes before “the font cache” was rebuilt? Ya, you get my point…how stupid!

And it works. Subtitles are fine and no more Font Cache Rebuilding. :D

Thanks I have experienced this a few times, although annoying I've learnt to live with it as is one of few minor snags vlc has.

Archived