Stand by mode

Hitman6267

Hey, is there a way for me to configure the stand by mode for my windows xp to do the following, turn off all unnecessary stuff like it does now but keep the internet connection active (the network connection that gives me internet - i have cable-) and to come out of stand by mode if any one talks to me on msn ? I don't think the msn thing is possible but may be the first part ? I mainly want that because when leaving my pc on at night to download stuff i think its best to shutdown anything except the necessary for the download process to complete like the VGA card it doesnt need to be running because i turn off the screen...

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In standby mode, the hard disk and display are turned off, and the CPU is throttled down to its lowest-power state.

However, memory is kept active, but at a very slow rate.

You would require ur HDD to keep working wen downloading stuff..

I dont see how u can have any application running with ur HDD turned OFF or CPU running at lowest power state.

Hitman, is it a desktop or PC? either way you can cut down power usage by lowering ur CPU clock and turning off ur monitor and disabling unused adapters in your PC, I do this using Acer power management that came installed on my laptop, I think you can find similar products for PC too, it allows you to create power profiles (windows can do this too) but acer gives you more control over the profile so you can change CPU speed, turn off ports..etc.

Archived