90% of Microsoft Customers in China Using Pirated Software: Ballmer to Chinese President

nsane.forums

2r7VZ.jpg

While Chinese President Hu Jintao knew he'd face some tough questions when he came to the United States this week, he probably figured most of them would come from Barack Obama and members of Congress. But you can add Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to that list.

Ballmer used Hu's official visit as an opportunity to point out that 90% of Microsoft software users in China didn't pay for it. The comments were part of a discussion about intellectual property protection.

Ballmer's exact quotes were not released, but President Obama discussed Ballmer's concerns during a press conference.

According to a White House transcript, Obama said:

"We're making progress on making sure that the government procurement process in China is open and fair to American businesses. And we've made progress as a consequence of this state visit.

"Some of it has to do with intellectual property protection. So we were just in a meeting with business leaders, and Steve Ballmer of Microsoft pointed out that their estimate is that only 1 customer in every 10 of their products is actually paying for it in China. And so can we get better enforcement, since that is an area where America excels -- intellectual property and high-value added products and services."

Pirated copies of Windows and other Microsoft products are a financial threat the company fights on a regular basis, and as Ballmer's comments point out, the rate of software piracy is particularly high in China. One consequence of people using pirated software is that they fail to update their software to newer, safer versions. This perhaps explains why nearly half of Chinese Internet users still use the 10-year-old Internet Explorer 6, rather than more modern browsers.

Obama didn't detail any specific measures the U.S. and China would take to help Microsoft and other vendors fighting software piracy. "The Chinese government has, to its credit, taken steps to better enforce intellectual property," Obama said. "We've got further agreement as a consequence of this state visit. And I think President Hu would acknowledge that more needs to be done."

Microsoft has long jealously guarded its patent portfolio, which is expanding all the time. Microsoft earned more than 3,000 new U.S. patents in 2010, behind only IBM and Samsung.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

only 90%???

Wow.. so like what 10% of people are buying their computers OEM.. Odd.. I wonder what percentage has downgraded and back peddled to now defunct XP.... on a newer computer and hacked in support for newer things like DirectX? OR is it that only 10% actually go out and purchase OS installation disks....or for an upgrade to the OS...

I wonder how many of these users actually aren't in the pool itself..

The reason that radical factors comes to mind you are talking about millions of people in one country that is stacked tight from the floor up... there has to be something wrong somewhere... or possibly in the demographic pool in which the tally was from... what about HideIP which always throws your IP into China... and bot networks...

In China's defense..I think something else is amiss here.. those numbers cannot be right... and I think that this could really be a problem... I mean imagine world trade being effected by one simple little program... widely used for privacy, safety, and security.. :rolleyes:

I always thought China and several other countries were advanced for their time.. and that users would know about have the ability to spoof all information.. maybe that was a time passed... That is just some crazy heat though...

Wow.. so like what 10% of people are buying their computers OEM.. Odd.. I wonder what percentage has downgraded and back peddled to now defunct XP.... on a newer computer and hacked in support for newer things like DirectX? OR is it that only 10% actually go out and purchase OS installation disks....or for an upgrade to the OS...

The reason that radical factors comes to mind you are talking about millions of people in one country that is stacked tight from the floor up... there has to be something wrong somewhere... or possibly in the demographic pool in which the tally was from... what about HideIP which always throws your IP into China... and bot networks...

In China's defense..I think something else is amiss here.. those numbers cannot be right... and I think that this could really be a problem... I mean imagine world trade being effected by one simple little program... widely used for privacy, safety, and security.. :rolleyes:

I always thought China and several other countries were advanced for their time.. and that users would know about have the ability to spoof all information.. maybe that was a time passed... That is just some crazy heat though...

there is the www internet and then there is china internet

defunct XP

Defunct?, I still use it, because Win 7 slows computer down too much (I have aged hardware, Dell Inspiron 1521 and a PC with 3-5 year old parts), can't affort better atm.

hello dude the place where tally came selling and distributing the pirated copy or holding it will lead you in very famous becoz assembled pc selling there is very low only company pc and laptop preferred so basically OEM is running or else linux will be running better than the m$ crap

What to expect?? The OS cost more than the PC.

With the low pay of the ppl there.......how to purchase something which they cannot eat?

If I were there, I would pirate too.:rolleyes:

What? Were you born yesterday? Do you know anything about China and/or most places in Asia? Time to open your eyes if you think China's advanced. I'd recommend you save up and take a little vacation so you can smell and see the roses.

ll master j - Okay.. well by defunct XP.. I didn't mean jacked-up.. I meant.. Microsoft has left it out in the cold and it will not be supported in a few years... no longer maintained.. I still use XP as well.. its just not the same when you have full support ... IMO as a User.. and Windows 7 is a better kernel.. if you optimize your system down to the essentials and the things that only you need.. instead of having all of the new features turned and the extra crap.. you actually will see something running smoother than XP.. I sort of have the same exact issue.. on two machines.. in fact on a HP 360n... with 512 MB RAM.. I have better performance out of the system then having XP installed.. now the only time I have real issues... is when it comes to multimedia and a few other items such as Games.. which require DirectX.. Vista I could tweak in to run well.. got better with SP1 with a few changes.. but Windows 7 is a massive improvement over that... if you ever get a chance to play around a bit on an older system some you can see where it really gets held back and by what and how to optimize it.. I think you would be surprised.. but it could just be me..

KotaXor - You know that is true.. many things you don't realize at first.. but I mean.. I used to think that way... and you do see problems with the standard of living as well.. that can be maintained...( however you do have to think about and see how many countries also have slums and lower standards of living.. I cannot think of one country right now who has a system in place.. and no homeless people.. and nobody is starving and being tortured by horrible living conditions - so I think that is a point to think about ). I think my opinion was formed many years ago though.. and it always suits to be an overtone in thought.. I could make a few statements about some other things as well.. Like toy manufacturing that would actually back your statement 100%.. and a few other conditions.. I guess when we think of chips being manufactured there which are always smaller and more advanced in design.. supposedly.. it doesn't always attest to the overall country or the people.. and it doesn't always mean that it all is coming from there.. however low production costs may be exploited.. many things really... They were one of the first to try the electronic militia though.. LOL

Firsts and breakthroughs... may not always necessarily be those things as pictured though..

davmil - You know I have never been to the countries themselves.. all I know is what I have seen on TV and in other instances... I do know that centuries old traditions, ways, and practices of doing things still exist... ( as well as methods not known to this side of the globe.. ) but I think my focus was more on the manufacturing and production of technology related goods... and I think I sort of covered how and why I usually get that perspective above... but yes you do have a point... However .. I would also like o say that some of the old ways are not to be abandoned ... some are quite well ahead of their time.. and have been proven for years... so a sum of a country is not always measured by the amount of tech.. or mystery of it.. Sometimes a smarter method of living.. compared to other places facing the same issues... The motivation and focus of some and endeavor to achieve can be quite aggressive.. versus other culture that set around ... frivolously chatting on their Blackberry whining about.... 'do I have to.. ' - other things being a point to be made... being that it is so very hard to fight to survive or become.. I think its something to be said..

Main point being that it may not be all bad... and in some ways you have to admire them for that...

Maybe the numbers are believable.. I do know if I was Bill Gates and seen the number I would have it torn apart and looked at again.. because thats a lot of people .. Like a number in the millions.. just coming in underneath the full populations.. and what of businesses? Do they all really scoff.. at the idea? :lmao: maybe the motivation itself to follow through as efficiently as possible may truly push them to do so... maybe this picture does fit well..

• 1 month later...

Archived