Transferring Files - Different LAN Networks

hass71

i've two separate LAN networks, one for internet and one for my business, and i blocked usb devices on the business network, but i need a solution for transferring data from the internet computer to the inside network without connecting the two networks

Staff Note: Moved to Technology Talk. ;)

• Replies 4
  • Views 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

set up a folder that you can share between the two networks.. then put files you get from the internet into the shared folder then use your buisness network to access the folder and take them from there.

If you have Win 7 you can set up the homegroup for your buisness network then use the other network to transfer files into the homegroup folders for the buisness network to see

On an inter-office network you would only need to open one of your systems up to be able to communicate in one way or another to your Home Network.. In fact if you would want to get around creating a regular network share you could always setup something like apache and have it serve files out of the directory.. one way communication and all you need on the Business side is a web browser... use this same system on two systems I have setting right in front of me.. the problem may come when or if you decide o get files from the business network to go to the home network.. then you would need the same or similar... You could also protect the servers from being reached from the Internet by way of router configuration and routing/traffic shaping... Tenable Nessus could also verify for you at that point .. if any vulnerabilities exist on either system..

FTP Server comes to mind as well as WebDAV... which would give you much more control over the file-system and file operations.. Next to that you have encrypting and compressing files and uploading them to the Web then downloading them... or RDP which is available.. but I would recommend keeping something possibly that powerful turned off when not needed in any case..

i've a lot of data to transfer into the inside network, so can't use CD or DVD every time, all i can think of is manual transfer through USB, but i need something automatic without connection the 2 networks through network cable

Then I would say that a laptop.. would your best bet... or simply having to address your configuration and setup each time your in need of it.. This issue is one that is fairly simple and quite physical in relativity to getting the data from one to another..

The fear I think that you may have is getting the network infiltrated or infected in some way... so I would say having a laptop which is secure and free of said infection that can move between the two would enable the transfer of data, the ability to become a network resource to the systems which are on the business network.. and any settings changes you make temporarily can be switched back when the job is complete.. Then those resources can either be moved from laptop to other systems via network.. or from on single system that is part of that network... One machine is probably used as an Administrative workstation anyway which should have more capability than the rest.. Where things of this nature can be done..

Having one central location which data can be accessed from on the business network would decrease the need to set down at each one..

Archived