Browse the internet while playing a game

ck_kent

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if there is a possible chance that a person could play a game (NBA 2K11) on another monitor (extended) using a gamepad while another person is surfing the web or doing something else (Excel) on the main monitor?

Thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Views 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. Windows 7 supports multi monitor & also windows vista (not sure).

You just need 2 video output from your motherboard or graphics card.

My motherboard intel has 3 outputs, vga, dvi & hdmi- i can connect up to 3 monitors using 3 connectors.

My graphics card have vga & dvi output & i actually using 2 monitors now.

In screen resolution, you will see the options, mirror, extended monitor.....select extended.

Then just drag the application or game window to the right or left corner depending on the monitor u selected in screen resolutions.

U can change the monitor form left to right

after u try to move ur mouse of ur 1st monitor u can see ur application started appearing on 2nd monitor.

Just drop the window to the 2nd monitor.

I don't think so no.

To the above reply; he's not just asking for multi monitor support, but also multi-mouse or multi-keyboard (or both), because he wants one person to play a game and another to browse the internet on the same computer whilst not 'switching' between the two.

Wait, I said no a little too early. I think it is possible if you have 2x mouse and 2x keyboard, plug them both in, disable one keyboard and one mouse on the main system but enable them within a VM. I'm not sure whether this all is technically possible, but this is the only way I can think of this working.

So you need VMWare Player, install a virtual OS, disable one keyboard and one mouse on the host system (somehow) and enable them on the virtual system.

Edit:

This says it will work for Linux: http://www.userful.com/products/downloads/free-2-user

Haven't found anything for Windows yet.

play a game (NBA 2K11) on another monitor (extended) using a gamepad

Since he said clearly he need to play not any game but NBA 2K11 that too on game pad, what i said will help.

But if you want to use another keyboard & mouse, then go for thin clients.

I am selling thin clients with my friend by which you just need a monitor, key board & mouse.

You connect monitor, key board & mouse to thin clinet, using usb or ps/2 & connect the thin client to host or your main computer using usb or ethernet.

You can use up to 24 bit true color in ethernet & 32 bit true color in usb.

But you MAY need a graphics card if your system configuration is less for the game to run.

You can use windows 7 aero in thin clients.

Thanks for the answers.

Shought is right on what I wanted to achieve. I already have 2 monitors setup on my computer. Though this is really not a big deal to me I just wondered if there is now a simple solution (software-based) without adding additional hardware or thin clients. Because the other night while my wife was browsing the internet I thought I could play a game on the 2nd monitor using my gamepad but it occurred to me that it's not possible as the input device (keyboard, mouse or gamepad) will only work on the active window. :)

@Shought: Thanks for the idea. But, like I said, this is really not an important thing to me right now, was just wondering. :D Maybe someday if I have the time I'll try that approach using VirtualBox.

I guess, all I can do for now, is just watch a movie while she's browsing the internet :lol:

You cannot map different inputs to different applications like that, it does not work in windows. It's like trying to connect 2 mice, no matter which one you move they both control the same cursor. This kind of computing exists in mainframes or client server models where each terminal can run their own isolated applications. Even if you use virtualization technology it cannot be done using the same computer, take Zen on Linux for instance, it presents virtualization down to the kernel level, the lowest and most secure form of resources segregation and yet it cannot do what you want unless the second user logs in from another terminal then they can have their own root access.

Same thing for windows server 2008, to use separate resources you need to log into remote desktop from a second computer.

Browsing the internet does not require plenty resources though, you could get an old pc you had lying around and just make it work for internet browsing.

Monitor spanning will work in Windows pretty much like what dishwara said but what won't work is the isolation of input signals, when the next person is typing or clicking things it could affect your game because there is no way to force the game to stop listening to keyboard inputs and so on even if you are playing with a game controller. (Well unless there is some feature to disable all keyboard inputs in the game settings but highly unlikely.

@heath28m: :lol: Well, not really. Like I said, I just wondered if it is possible now using a simple solution (without using thin clients or additional hardware) or maybe somebody may have already developed a new software that I may not have already known. I already know that it's not "possible" since the day multi-tasking on computers was developed. But, I appreciate all of your answers. :)

Cheers!

Turn 1 PC into 5 PCs!

Thinsoft BeTwin

BeTwin is a easy to use PC Sharing Software that allows two to five users to share the computing power and resources of a single computer.

BeTwin 2000/XP is the software that allows multiple users to simultaneously and independently share a personal computer running Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional (32-bit) or Home Edition. Installation is simple. Install a second display adapter (video card) and connect it to the second monitor. Plug in a USB mouse, USB keyboard and, optionally, USB speakers. Finally, install the BeTwin 2000/XP software.

Software Features :

Support Multiple users to surf the Internet and access emails at the same time using with unique customized desktop and network login.

Supports displaying of information directly from DOS, Windows and Java applications of the Host PC

Supports centralized data storage for Host PC and BeTwin station users

Supports multiple users to share the same peripheral devices.

try and download here: http://rapidshare.com code:/files/123676471/ThinSoft_BeTwin_2.00.243.rar

you could always get a remote controller for your computer, They can use that to surf the web or a xbox controller for the game..

Archived