Want to give up on windows - Searching for Alternatives

miss_ayu

but im not really sure about it.

i use windows xp pack 3

had of course pack 2, but updated; used vista for some time, but my pc was reaaaaaaaaaaaally slow (need more RAM, only 512 atm >.> )

i liked vista a lot. but would like something else that doesn't require purchase. >.>

please give me your opinion on what should i do.

and if i do decide to switch, should i backup all my files on partition "D" considering i installed windows on partition "C"?

• Replies 12
  • Views 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you install Ubuntu you are going to have similar issues as well.. lags and so on.. consider getting an updated system which will run correctly with newer innovations and Windows 7.. if you can see to afford it..

Put the computer you have on your kitchen, or balcony, or other place where you hang out. Install linux on it, Kubuntu perhaps. Add 2 GB memory to it. (this might not be worth it, since older memory is now more expensive than the newer DDR2 and 3).

For your main computer build a new one or buy a laptop. At my firm we regularly build machines with Intel chips that are $500 or less. In United States this will be even cheaper.

@alexcmia

i liked your answer..

and the pc is in a place where i hang out, being my home pc...

i was indeed considering a laptop, and i dont really want to give this one up because it has 200Giga storage memory. :P i dont have much programs installed on it, i dont play videogames, so it moves fast.

i was thinking about getting linux, since i dont want to purchase any windows...

but if i do switch, do i need to backup all my files?

The day that linux fully supports windows software (no special codeing neaded) I will switch and never turn back.

Minimum 2 GB of Ram is recommended;

Never approach Vista......Win7 was some cover to hide Vista failure!

Ubuntu is another line to move;

with completely different rules from Windows that I don't want to go in currently and don't recommend it to you;

Stay with Win7 Ultimate....keep it Updated.....do know what's running in your PC to have a light system....not a mess....

and choose a suitable security setup;

It has big effect on the speed of different parts of your PC ;)

The day that linux fully supports windows software (no special codeing neaded) I will switch and never turn back.

:clap:

can`t wait that day!

With Linux guys sitting around saying things like , ' The problem you have is that you use Windows..' I doubt very seriously this will happen any time soon...

I'm one of the guys that finds Linux without any personal use (that's only for me!).

- cannot work in it (design&sound prod.)

- cannot play in it (...)

For everything else, Windows 7 is good enough. I'd actually like one of the experienced Linux guys 'round here to give me one reason I should try Linux... and no, I'm not going to use an OS for fun or to see how it is...

• 2 weeks later...

sadly, its most likely cheaper to buy a low end new computer or laptop. it will be at least 10 times better then the one you got which im guessing between 5 and 10 years old

True a low end replacement would be okay as for necessity.. BUT it would also still just repeat the same cycle.. so if you can afford something that is worth having that will be with you for awhile the put forth the investment.. IMO

Archived