Virus Bulletin - Test performance in Windows 7

Siddharta

VB100 - Windows 7

This month the VB test team put 64 products through their paces on Windows 7. John Hawes has the details of the VB100 winners and those who failed to make the grade (See below link).

The following chart shows the RAP results obtained over the last four tests, with average reactive scores plotted against average proactive scores for each product. (The detection figures from any test during which a product generated false positives are omitted (for that product) from the average calculations.) This chart is updated on a bimonthly basis. Virus Bulletin subscribers have access to the detailed results of the RAP tests, including a per-test RAP quadrant.

fcec2e.png

Site or full page

If you get registered in virusbulletin you may see this month result here. For instance Comodo, Lavasoft,McAfee....and a few more failed in their tests.

• Replies 29
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to these results perhaps it would be convenient to remove Comodo from the frontpage.... :think:

According to these results perhaps it would be convenient to remove Comodo from the frontpage.... :think:

i think most people here just use their firewall..

hmm, where is norton ?

edit: ok, found it :)

Comodo is a great firewall / HIPS. Just AV module which sux...

Like dcs18 said, they are testing AV engine here. Not HIPS/FW one...

++

There is another way to read that report and it is "COMODO SECURITY SOFTWARE IS THIRD RATE". Besides any Host Intrusion Prevension System starts with your own antivirus.

Both Trustport and GDATA are using other AV engines and two of them to do what/get where they are... I wonder how they actually perform as far as resource usage is concerned.. Each time I have used dual engines it has been quite a bit of a problem.. AVG performing that well is bit of a surprise as it has been complete crap most of the time.. Then we have cloud based products.. As far as I am concerned with ESET your better off with one engine... lower false positives.. and something that doesn't rely on being online to work correctly.. while the performance may be good and these products good.. I feel I am going to stick with ESS .. though it does look appealing to upgrade... for my system needs.. I think its the best choice as far as a purist is concerned.. using an actual program/suite .. which doesn't have to be coupled with another product to actually be good.. and as far as that is concerned the only competitor which is standing on its own or coming close .. would be AVIRA..ESET.. then AVG ( surprising.. again )

I found a link for Coranti ( Linked removed for being complete BS ) ..BTW.. someone check it out and tell me whats up.. 4 ENGINES.... Downloaded but I don't have my 7 VM to check it out nor the resources..

Coranti Home Page: http://www.coranti.com/

Let's learn a bit about G-Data then to start with:

G Data AntiVirus 2011

G Data, a big security player in the company's native Germany, is now pushing to grab some U.S. market share with a stateside office in North Carolina's Research Triangle area. Their G Data AntiVirus 2011 has some nice features, but in testing its protection didn't pan out.

Like Double Anti-Spy Professional v2 and TrustPort Antivirus 2011 G Data uses two antivirus engines. The company doesn't advertise which vendors it partners with for detection, since the partnership agreements change from time to time. At present the component engines come from Avast and BitDefender.

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Virus Bulletin has given VB100 status to G Data in nine of the last ten Windows-based tests. G Data's most recent failure this August was caused by false positives, not by failing to detect the malware samples.

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

G Data's window includes a CPU Load meter that shows CPU resource usage overall for the system and usage specific to G Data. You can really see usage go up during an antivirus scan using the default high process priority. If you choose to reduce the scan's priority the meter will let you see how the product's CPU usage goes down

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

AV-Comparatives.org, a European testing lab, includes G Data in their periodic tests of on-demand virus cleanup and proactive non-signature detection. The app scored ADVANCED+, the highest rating, in the most recent test of each type. The same lab performed one-time tests to evaluate dynamic protection and performance impact last year; G Data rated ADVANCED in both.

AV-Test.org recently tested almost 20 security products under Windows XP and Windows 7, assigning each a score from 0 to 6 in three categories: protection, repair, and usability. For certification a product needed a total of 12 points. G Data passed handily with 14.5 points under Windows 7 and 15 points under XP. No product scored higher than 16.

The repair score was G Data's lowest in both the Windows 7 and XP tests, meaning it didn't do a great job cleaning up the malware it detected. That finding is in line with my own tests, which require successful repair for full credit.

Read full article here

I liked the suite I tried of GDATA.. all of the tools you need to clean something up.. registry cleaning and the whole nine... Was a nice package overall.. even addressed backup.. but I feel I need a more powerful system to run it... I feel some of these are too heavy for a system.. the protection should be un-noticable... Not like the only thing running...

Still you may have two antiviruses protecting you: two partitions with different AVs>>>>cross scanning is powerful + additional elements in each one ie. SuperAntispyware, Malwarebytes, etc!!! The first partition light in programs of course, perhaps a testing partition with an older O.S. (XP).

G Data is the best by far with 99.99% detection according to AV-Comparatives. Trustport is also good but both slow down the system because of the dual engines but it is a small price to pay for excellent protection. Coranti is also good but it has work to do on RAM usage. I tried it once and it was using more than 200,000K.

I wonder how these 4 engines ( * BitDefender, * F-Prot, * Norman, * Lavasoft) can work simultaneously!!!!

Those four engines I would say aren't that great. Bitdefender is a good one, Norman not really because on most of the tests it misses many things, depends which lavasoft engine, and F-Prot is okay. This is my opinion, what's yours?

I support ESET.. Like I stated above.. really, I find the rest that are involved.. a problem.. and I know I don't like BitDefender from years back.. To me though.. Bundling all of these engines together is a mistake.. instead of creating an engine that is great for what it is designed for.. is wasteful in my opinion... I think that might be one point of that I mention .. of being a Purist... There should be a tool.. that is at the top of its game and all encompassing.. if no competitor can top that.. with its own creation .. instead of just plopping on more slop to cover it.. ( about like the paranoid who install three AV's and have unstable systems.. ) ..BUT I have mentioned a few had other tools and addressed other areas.. where some don't even look or mention.. These are great idea and options.. but I think it would be better to back up and take another look and another run from another angle.. work on that instead.

Analytically speaking.. I think that if you take four different engines which seem to pick up in areas the others don't ( individually ) with some types of infections.. because of the way they are written or with definitions... I would say... that run simultaneously and only then so.. would the coverage and protection be what it is stated.. other wise each and every one that is left out is a hole in said theory or method... Within that and being said and understood for what it is worth.. you have all of the processing power associated with as well as memory usage... and lag...

Take three 4 cylinder Honda motors and put them together.. and called it a twelve cylinder.. then put it up against a Lamborghini V12... While you might squeeze the same output out of it... You will not have the engineering and pristine design of the engine..nor the experience with..or other aspects of the vehicle, to cover the needs of the desired operation.. Period.. They were designed to operate differently and even when addressed you still have design aspects which will take so many changes.. when you get done.. you have something completely different all together..

It can advertise all of it capabilities at best and score well.. but how is it in the 'field'.. is it something that actually be used as tool in the field.. or is it just another TVR Speed Twelve? ( The Devil's Car ) Prototype that was created with so much low end HP and TQ that it twisted the shaft off the Dyno in the facility while testing and was so unreasonably powerful and awkward to control.. that Wheeler himself... killed the project... and proved to be worthless after spending quite a bit to design the car.. not being able to initiate the Road Car sales which killed the company financially..

Sorry for so many car references.. but they are examples.. I guess as best I can make one to go along with what I am trying to state.. Fact is.. there should be a faster and better way to address the issue.. I think it will come in time... as other advances come along.. and other changes take place.. I personally see no point in using any of those unless you have a very powerful system.. extra RAM.. Quad Core Processor... and Windows 7 64 Bit...

EDIT: Even at that I don't want to waste any more of anything I have if I buy a system like that on something that should be getting accomplished more efficiently or as efficiently as possible.. or with the same results.. with a few habit and settings changes... There is no program to protect you from idiocy.. and perspective.. so we all have to keep that in mind

Disappointed. The position of Symantec (which I use) is too low, it does not meet the expectation. But there is a Vietnamese Antivirus - BKAV Home Plus with high position. Is there anyone try it before?

It looks to have its own engine.. BUT it is cloud-based.. While this makes it excellent light and fast.. ' Bkav 2010's signature database constitutes of as many as 6.3 million virus definitions. ' It also means its useless if your offline... But its used by about 74% of all businesses nationwide... in Vietnam.. First of its kind to be successfully integrated there.. It would seem all of this is from their own.. But I would be willing to bet that it would be something like Hitman Pro.. where you have several vendors of the definitions which are able to be updated to the minute... 6.4 MILL definitions is quite a bit.. previous versions were not so lucky in their results but the switch to Cloud-based systems improved it to where it is today.. been around for about 8 years according to the site..

I would have to do some digging in the forums to get more information on where its definitions come from and all of that.. Thing is I don't know if they are in English or not..

I haven't seen any reviews so it's hard to tell if it is good. 6.4million definitions are good but you never know.

@heath28m: It have both 2 languages: Vietnamese and English

In Vietnam, BKAV is used widely but just in the companies. Most of home users still use the foreign security software such as: kaspersky, bit defender, avast, symantec etc.

I used G-data for about 18 months and was very pleased until I came across a number of zero day threats- it really didn't fare well against those. As to Comodo (which I currently use), although the AV certainly isn't the best, the Firewall-HIPS-Sandbox functions more than make up for it.

Archived