Linux choise

Anteus

I need to install Linux on a P2 comp only need to surf, and use openoffice (basic stuff), any suggestions?

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what's the question? :unsure:

Regarding which, how, where to get one??

...uh tough one...

These entries were removed from the first post:

Lycoris Desktop/LX (let's not give people too many choices)

http://www.lycoris.com/

Desktop/LX is an operating system designed with your ease of use in mind. Desktop/LX loads ready for Internet access, office productivity, multimedia, entertainment, and more.

Desktop/LX presents you with a clean slate on which to work. A simple and familiar layout will help you start working right away. Desktop/LX uses drag and drop, so linking to and working from the desktop is a breeze.

Everytime you boot Desktop/LX or if you add a USB device, My Linux System automatically detects new supported drives. You can also use the Rescan Hardware link in the left pane to list new devices.

SmoothWall Linux (more appropraite for the server section)

http://www.smoothwall.org

A very lightweight and easy to install linux distro aimed soley for router boxes. It's only a small download (~20megs) and yet can be configured as a DHCP server, transparent cache, dialup server (automatically dialup when any PC on the network requests a net connection), broadband server (supports many ADSL modems and ISDN), has a firewall and is easy to configue after the initial install via SSH or it's web interface. Definately recommended for serving a net connection for a LAN. cool.gif

Turbo Linux (isn't this dead? maybe not but it isn't popular for desktops)

http://www.turbolinux.com/

Turbolinux is the leading supplier of Linux operating systems in Asia Pacific. The product portfolio also includes multiplatform clustering and distributed computing software to bring high-availability and high throughput to the enterprise. Turbolinux is now part of UnitedLinuxTM, a global, uniform distribution of Linux for business supported by a majority of enterprise system and software vendors.

PClinuxOS (we already have an entry for LiveCD distros, knoppix has used ALSA for some time now!)

http://www.pclinuxonline.com

PCLinuxOS is a Mandrake based distro that runs off of a CD. It is very good looking and easy to configure. PCLinuxOS has a Control Center which allows you to configure most settings. It has Mozilla Firebird, Java, Flash, and nVidia drivers all by default. It also doesn't have more than one program to do one task, so it is cleaner to navigate. "I use it whenever I install Gentoo so that at least I can listen to music and surf the web while everything is compiling. By the way, it uses ALSA, unlike Knoppix. It is the most advanced, yet easy to use live-cd that I have ever used."

Been lazy to type :unsure:

loonacycle

Try this one, run from cd see if you like it and then if ya do, install to HDD, can dual boot with Windows.

PCLinuxOS

Go to distrowatch.com for a complete selection, as well as comments, and links to downloads.

I prefer the 1 disc versions, that means just 1 cd to burn, the PCLinuxOS suggested meets all the requirements and is easy to use. If you can use Windows you can use this, all my hardware was found during the install, my internet connection, etc. I was online in linux in about 15 minutes from the cd door closing. Good luck in your search. :)

I'd second Ubuntu. Seems to be one of the most stable around with a long list of software (OpenOffice included) which is available.

Ubuntu - I'd recommend using the latest stable version though instead of any Alpha / Beta's that are currently available. Less headache should something go awry.

i dont think that computer can handle ubuntu?

System Requirements

Ubuntu is available for PC, 64-Bit and Mac architectures. CDs require at least 256 MB of RAM. Install requires at least 2 GB of disk space.

• 2 weeks later...
i was thinking more of the needed ram for install

Try Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Tribe 2 or Fiesty Dawn its great!! :)

• 1 month later...

Try Sabayon I would say. Latest version is much better, better driver support espically with audio. Run live cd via vmlauncher (Think thats right anyways, it will tell ya.) Install on HDD if you approve, otherwise Ubuntu is your equal, maybe better choice.

Oops, didn't notice the "P2". Better go with Ubuntu >.<.

I've already installed Slackware 12.0 on a computer I intended to use as a server... but the PCI slots on that motherboard isn't working properly i think. I searched all the bois settings but nothing worked. The wireless card flashes fast once when starting the computer.

Archived