Need help picking a Blu-Ray player.

Nemesis

i need some help in buying one, the most I can spend is around 250. anyone have any suggestions? i need one that will be tolerant of burned media, i have a large collection of burned movies (some single layer, but mostly +R-DL) and i would hate to go and buy one just to have it not play my DVDs.

EDIT: it sucks that we cant just trust that the device will simply do what it says on the box. :closedeyes:

• Replies 20
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear Samsung is good. I use my ps3 but sometime ago I was playing an MP4 file, a blu ray rip stored on my flash drive and somehow Sony figured out it was pirated and they muted the sound in the movie, lol. I have no idea how they knew but Sony does that apparently. I'd say look for a Sony or Samsung player, I don't think the dedicated players are as smart as the ps3 so you should be good.

I really don't know what features you are looking for but here is a good suggestion for a model. Samsung BD-C5500. Retails online for around $110 USD.

The Samsung BD-C5500 Blu-ray Player offers Internet@TV, which delivers the best of the web, straight to your HDTV, with downloadable widgets and apps like BLOCKBUSTER®, Facebook®, YouTube™, Twitter™, Flickr™, Pandora and more. You can shop online, share pictures, catch up with friends and connect to a wide range of streaming digital content at the touch of a button. It is also wireless LAN ready (wireless LAN adaptor not included). Add to that AllShare™, which enables content to be seamlessly streamed between DLNA® devices, allowing you to play files stored on your PC through your Blu-ray player.

Key Features

• Internet@TV: Connect to an ever-expanding portal of your favorite digital content. Customizable widgets give you access to BLOCKBUSTER, Facebook, YouTube, Flickr, and more – all on your HDTV.
  • BD-Live ready: Get more out of a Blu-ray Disc than what's on it. BD-Live 2.0 lets studios future-proof their Blu-ray titles, so they can add content to BD-Live Ready discs even after they have been shipped. Simply connect your Blu-ray player to the Internet (through the included Ethernet port or using an optional Link Stick USB wireless dongle) to download images, subtitles and more. Text-chat with friends during a movie, or play against others in online trivia games to unlock exclusive video content and earn discounts on other products.
  • AllShare: Sync up your entire household. A wired or wireless DLNA connection lets you stream your PC audio and video files to your HDTV using your remote.
  • Wireless LAN-ready (Wireless LAN adaptor not included, to learn more or to purchase: Click Here)
  • Screen fit, ultra fast play
  • Full 1080p Picture Quality
  • Sleek, slim design (39mm)

Connections

• 1 HDMI
  • 2 USB
Audio
  • Advanced HD audio (Dolby Digital TruHD, DTS-HD Master Audio)
  • 2 channel audio out

Product Description

The BDC5500 can also wireless LAN ready (wireless LAN adaptor not included). Add to that AllShare™, which enables content to be seamlessly streamed between DLNA® devices, allowing you to play files stored on your PC through your Blu-ray player.

I hear Samsung is good. I use my ps3 but sometime ago I was playing an MP4 file, a blu ray rip stored on my flash drive and somehow Sony figured out it was pirated and they muted the sound in the movie, lol. I have no idea how they knew but Sony does that apparently. I'd say look for a Sony or Samsung player, I don't think the dedicated players are as smart as the ps3 so you should be good....

Are sure that that is problem or could it be in not following the correct Encoding rules set out by each container? Reason I say this is because of the fact that I have run into the same problem on systems.. and that was the only cause.. and the fact that it would need a codec pack to play it... With all of the features and parameters .. including the DNAL3 I would guess that it could be pretty specific..

I hear Samsung is good. I use my ps3 but sometime ago I was playing an MP4 file, a blu ray rip stored on my flash drive and somehow Sony figured out it was pirated and they muted the sound in the movie, lol. I have no idea how they knew but Sony does that apparently. I'd say look for a Sony or Samsung player, I don't think the dedicated players are as smart as the ps3 so you should be good....

Are sure that that is problem or could it be in not following the correct Encoding rules set out by each container? Reason I say this is because of the fact that I have run into the same problem on systems.. and that was the only cause.. and the fact that it would need a codec pack to play it... With all of the features and parameters .. including the DNAL3 I would guess that it could be pretty specific..

I'm 100% sure. There was a message on the screen informing me of such. LOL. It said the movie was copyrighted material and they muted the sound because of unauthorised playback.

@69-stang: These burned DVDs you have, are they in MKV format? If yes, then you're going to need a player which supports MKV playback. I think not all blu-ray players out there support MKV playback so you're gonna have to double check its specs. I also read certain players like some models from LG are able to play MKV but limited to a 4GB file size only.

I saw this one while browsing: OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray Player but the price is double your budget.

I have that Samsung BD-C5500 (mentioned above) and I play mkv, mp4 and avi files from a 4GB USB Drive and it does a great job.

@69-stang: These burned DVDs you have, are they in MKV format? If yes, then you're going to need a player which supports MKV playback. I think not all blu-ray players out there support MKV playback so you're gonna have to double check its specs. I also read certain players like some models from LG are able to play MKV but limited to a 4GB file size only.

I saw this one while browsing: OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray Player but the price is double your budget.

nice unit, but yes expensive. the movies I have are just plain Dual layers, however some dvd players are especially picky about dual layer discs. I use verbatim blank media and my movies work on most dvd players but some wont accept them for some reason. A few buddies blu-ray players wont read them (100% of them actually :dunno: ) so thats why i thought i should ask.

I'm 100% sure. There was a message on the screen informing me of such. LOL. It said the movie was copyrighted material and they muted the sound because of unauthorised playback.

was your ps3 connect to the internet at the time? that is so f!@#$%^&*()_ wrong. was it working beforehand? a firmware update that cause it? still doing the same if you test it now?

whatever you choose- dont Sharp... useless crap!

thanks for the tip. I saw a harman/kardan blu-ray player that looks good to me. i love most HK stuff. Its more than my budget allows but may be worth saving for.

Harman Kardon product page

They do look good B)

was your ps3 connect to the internet at the time? that is so f!@#$%^&*()_ wrong. was it working beforehand? a firmware update that cause it? still doing the same if you test it now?

I have not tried it again but yes the wireless internet was enabled on the ps3 at the time. I dunno if it's firmware update related but new games update firmware as required anyway so that cannot be helped. The file was a blu ray rip of "The Losers". Possibly it was able to detect it from some data on the ripped file itself. I never got the problem with lesser quality rips or avi files so I believe it could be some extra data in the MP4 container format that gave me away.

I don't see the point in buying the Harman/ Kardon, they are overrated. Did you know they were the first company to boldly adopt positive feedback on their amps boasting about how great it was at reducing intermodulation distortion without doing proper scientific research to realise positive feedback was unstable and caused more problems. LOL It was an epic fail in audio engineering and they covered up that embarrassing mistake over the years and silently went back to traditional negative feedback systems.

I don't see one single feature on that Harman Kardon player that warrants the high price as compared with a Samsung or Sony unit. At that price you better off with a PS3, it is probably the only system that uses 2 separate lenses, one for Blu ray and one for everything else so you don't have to worry about wearing down the lens or whatever by playing regular dvds. The best part is the PS3 remote control is bluetooth so you don't have to worry about pointing it at the device, just press buttons.

I could never trust H/K because I know of their engineering mistakes, bose is another rip off but I don't want to get into an audiophile discussion so I'll leave it at that.

I have not tried it again but yes the wireless internet was enabled on the ps3 at the time. I dunno if it's firmware update related but new games update firmware as required anyway so that cannot be helped. The file was a blu ray rip of "The Losers". Possibly it was able to detect it from some data on the ripped file itself. I never got the problem with lesser quality rips or avi files so I believe it could be some extra data in the MP4 container format that gave me away.

I don't see the point in buying the Harman/ Kardon, they are overrated. Did you know they were the first company to boldly adopt positive feedback on their amps boasting about how great it was at reducing intermodulation distortion without doing proper scientific research to realise positive feedback was unstable and caused more problems. LOL It was an epic fail in audio engineering and they covered up that embarrassing mistake over the years and silently went back to traditional negative feedback systems.

I don't see one single feature on that Harman Kardon player that warrants the high price as compared with a Samsung or Sony unit. At that price you better off with a PS3, it is probably the only system that uses 2 separate lenses, one for Blu ray and one for everything else so you don't have to worry about wearing down the lens or whatever by playing regular dvds. The best part is the PS3 remote control is bluetooth so you don't have to worry about pointing it at the device, just press buttons.

I could never trust H/K because I know of their engineering mistakes, bose is another rip off but I don't want to get into an audiophile discussion so I'll leave it at that.

the h/k av player i gotten from circuit city back in 98 lasted like 3 years. ribbon for the digial audio burn out. i even had it placed well for air flow etc. had gotten $899 versioin back then

Ok I should warn you guys that this DRM is coming to standalone Blu Ray players as well so be careful in your purchases. I did some research and found out the DRM is a Cinavia watermark encoded on the audio track.

New Cinavia DRM takes aim at pirates

Written by Andre "DVDBack23" Yoskowitz @ 03 Mar 2010 17:37 User comments (68)

Posted Image FileShareFreak has a very interesting report out today about Cinavia DRM, which is a new audio watermarking technology that takes aim at pirates, and those trying to playback movie downloads via their PlayStation 3s. The site says the watermarking works by "comparing the source of the audio to the format in which a movie was released (ie theatrical or commercial disc), and if the watermarked audio source detects a difference, the movie will either be mute (but most likely not play at all)."

To date, it has been found in a TS version of "The Wolfman" that has been popular via P2P and torrent sites.

"Movies protected by Cinavia technology carry inaudible codes embedded by the copyright owner in their audio tracks that indicate where and how they are allowed to be used. For example, movies that are being released to theaters can carry a Cinavia code that indicates that they are supposed to be duplicated by professional replicators and played back on professional projection equipment only," reads the official site.

The TS version of Wolfman, which uses "line" audio recorded through a headphone jack, had the watermark, and when added to the camera source, the audio did not match (it was searching for theatrical release) and is therefore muted when played back on Blu-ray players and the PS3, which have Cinavia DRM supported.

You can check if your Blu-ray player has the DRM check built-in here, but be noted that ALL new BD players will have it as of the Q1 2010.

Of course, if you are playing the files back on your DVD player or PC, you won't have a problem, as there are none that have Cinavia detectors.

Likely, hackers will find away around this watermark DRM, but for now, the cat-and-mouse game is on.

Source.

Sony Adds Cinavia DRM Protection in as Automatic PS3 Download

A few months back Sony updated their new Terms of Service to include "automatic updates or upgrades which may change your current operating system, cause a loss of data or content or cause a loss of functionalities or utilities" and with the recent PS3 Firmware 3.41 it appears Sony has added in Cinavia DRM Protection as an automatic PS3 download.

For those unaware, Cinavia DRM technology is an audio watermarking technology that takes aim at pirates, and those trying to playback movie downloads via their PlayStation 3 consoles, and is part of the content protection system included in Blu-ray Disc players.

According to the official site, the watermarking works by "comparing the source of the audio to the format in which a movie was released (ie theatrical or commercial disc), and if the watermarked audio source detects a difference, the movie will either be mute (but most likely not play at all)."

To quote on a temporary 'fix' from alexsaeed8 via YouTube:

Recently PS3 has come out with this new update that automatically downloads and installs this program called "Cinavia" which protects against piracy movies by analyzing the sound of the movie that is playing and compares that to the original version to see if it matches and based on that it will allow or doesn't allow the PS3 or BRDvd players to play the movie.

You will get 2 most common messages:

1: It will say it can't play the movie because of a copyright violation.

2: It will say the audio for this movie has been mute and it won't play any more sound, just the picture, it all depends.

So based on this information I have made a short video of how I have been watching movies on my ps3 and by passing the cinavia technology.

The only way I been able to watch movies is to speed it up by x1.5 or higher Cinavia can't pick up the sound at that speed, and it's not so bad once you get use to it.. at least for now until someone come out with another solution."

Source.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI3bvBQEvrc&feature=player_embedded

• 2 weeks later...

i need some help in buying one, the most I can spend is around 250. anyone have any suggestions? i need one that will be tolerant of burned media, i have a large collection of burned movies (some single layer, but mostly +R-DL) and i would hate to go and buy one just to have it not play my DVDs.

EDIT: it sucks that we cant just trust that the device will simply do what it says on the box. :closedeyes:

You should check LG ones. I'm running full LG at home for my home cinema, and it absolutely rocks.

Worth mentionning that one of the neat features is the ability to watch Netflix through the LG BR player (no wifi though, through ethernet).

It's pretty cheap also and available at your Walmart for sure :)

PS3, u'll get a console too -> bargain :P

I thought of getting a PS3 for gaming and blu-ray etc... but too much DRM and i don't feel like going through the hassle of modding it.

even with the illegal unconstational dmca in the usa this is wrong. a user should be able to backup their paid from move and play on a backup. all this with cause is a more cleared audio file will be the rules or it gets nuke. i cant wait for a nice blue ray to coem out and it fails this test because of a goof by the makers.

... honest advice?:

forget Blue-ray for another year at least, or if you getting one- get one for PC. Why?- prices are going to halve and DMR $hit will be solved with newer hardware, so PS3 as half solution, bargain, start BR user- best option for now IMHO

Archived