I need help on internet speed issues with AVs

ROMANTICGUY50

ROMANTICGUY50

I have comcast cable and my download speed is 50mbs or higher. When I put a antivirus program on it slows it way down to like 20mbs.. Right now I am using Comodo as my firewall and Maywarebutes and Superanti spyware only and my speed is excellent.. can anyone recomend a antivirus program that will not cause me to lose speed.... I was not sure where to post this,,,, If u have any suggestions please let me know...I have tried a number of the antivirus programs listed her and internet security progams with the same result......Slowdown big time. Thanks for your help.

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Moved to Security & Privacy Center. And renamed the title to make it clear. :)

ROMANTICGUY50

Right now I don't have a anti virus program on my computer just right now and trying to find the right one use the right on that wont show my internet speed.

I experience only light differences in mine.. BUT not being able to reach maximum speeds on your lines could be quite another issue... and a combination of issues.. which would be pretty simple to track down bottle necks or even upgrade your system to be able to handle.. If you have low system resources and are running newer OSes and Programs on an old system.. I would say that this is more than likely.. as well as deterring the actually real time monitoring of said bandwidth numbers ( because of lag and update ability or speed )

I have quite a few drivers loaded on my connections and I have 2 GB of RAM.. but I have tweaked my system to be as efficient as possible as well... running a great deal of programs and do SEVERAL downloads at once.. to max out the 50Mbps...would probably most definitely render problems if you have lower RAM numbers...

What method did you use to test this? exactly... and what other drivers do you have loaded on the connection itself... Did you try this on a Home Network to test speed and were the test repositories from and to.. from EHD's or Local Drives? ( data transfer rate of USB 2.0 is not that good.. faster from Local Drive but it will and can still depend on the Data Transfer Rate of the drive as well.. as several other things.. Could be a few other factors involved.... But what is stated above can be totally true... Each protection can be as god/bad as its user's settings.. ( not saying they are all equal IMO .. but.. )

If you use Avast, you can choose to not install the network filtering components from the start, that should avoid these issues since the network filter driver won't be installed on your system.

I think most of the other AV programs install everything and then you have yo go disable the features affecting you but Avast you can just install the file scanning module alone and not worry about configuring any other settings. Not sure if this option is available in any other AV program.

ROMANTICGUY50

I pay for the extra speed of 50mbs. I tried Avast, turned off the network shield and it still slowed down to 20mbs down. Tired Panda free and my speed was where it is supposed to be.. I really don't know what to do. Which one will keep my download and upload speed are what we pay for. Any suggestions welcome please.

What about Nod32 v2.7 with the configuration as suggested by dcs18?

Try Microsoft Security Essentials v2.0. Don't worry it's very good, detection rate is top notch.

I believe you should use an AV that grants you your full connection speed. You sure the problem is not related to having multiple software firewalls installed simultaneously? You mentioned earlier that you have comodo installed as well. Why not remove everything then try an AV program?

You really don't need a secondary firewall as much as you might think (or rather as much as the companies would like you to think).

ROMANTICGUY50

What about Nod32 v2.7 with the configuration as suggested by dcs18?

Try Microsoft Security Essentials v2.0. Don't worry it's very good, detection rate is top notch.

I believe you should use an AV that grants you your full connection speed. You sure the problem is not related to having multiple software firewalls installed simultaneously? You mentioned earlier that you have comodo installed as well. Why not remove everything then try an AV program?

You really don't need a secondary firewall as much as you might think (or rather as much as the companies would like you to think).

I have Comodo and the windows firewall is turned off. I only use the firewall on Comodo and use mallwarebytes foe spyware

I tried ESET AVAST and Kaspersky® Anti-Virus and did everything that was suggested and the speed was still slow. With my firewall,Malwaarebytes and super-anti spyware My speed is awesome

Even though you turn the Firewall off.. you may want to disable the service for it as well... Mine still runs and its turned off.. There is actually logging which proves it in the Security section of the Event Viewer.. be a good way to double check.. denied packets/blocks..

try shajt`s prevx. maybe you`ll find it usefull. here`s the link!

if do not want an antivirus to slow down your internet speed use avira free (it doesn`t have an web filtering engine) and for that extra security use sandboxie

The most effective anti-virus on planet earth (which I use) is not FrontPaged - in fact, there's not even a single post, here - on it. If people are really really interested, I'll post it on my next login. 8)

don't tell me that is dO cOMMON sENSE 18

ROMANTICGUY50

I also tried G Data Anti virus and it totally froze my computer Had to power it off with a hard stop

I never did make one of these.. I was supposed to download and install something and afterward.. I still got some stupid error .. so I said forget it.. and I was going to do it later.. but never did..

Yeah, have observed that hardly anybody's tried this one - no wonder it's neither FrontPaged nor mentioned in any post, here.

Archived