Benefits of 64-bit Browser

SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Hey Readers,

Me again =P

Hmm, anyone know if I were to switch over to Java / Adobe Flash 64-bit as well as 64-bit Firefox, if I can safely uninstall the 32-bit counter-parts without losing functionality of other programs I may use that are 32-bit?

I guess more or less, my question would be if there is much benefit in using a 64-bit browser over 32 excluding the over 4GB RAM... Since I never even get near using that high of Memory.

Searching on Google and I don't come up with too many Tests that show if there is... And the 2 that i did find, showed that the 32-bit browser actually did better.

But it sparked my mind to wonder if it is worth it.

Thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's recommended yet... Flash square is not yet ready from prime time and you will probably get some problems. Just wait for a official release of both apps in x64.

As for benefits... meh. I tried hard to find a single scenario where a x64 browser would be really useful... maybe if you use it with a few hundred tabs open? Or if you are using web apps that really need the extra memory? Truth is, x32 is pretty enough for now in browsing. I'll switch to x64 myself, when Opera/Flash put out a stable releases, for the sake of having everything in my computer running in x64.

Hey,

Using x64 softwares on x64 Windows is very recommended, you will get higher performance than emulated x86 programs, but, we have a tech named WOW64, it's a standard for coding x86 programs that allow people to use them on x64 and get higher performance, like Nero and Firefox x86 (till now), but we see some programs change to x64 versions completely like Firefox.

But for now, I do not suggest you to use Firefox Pre-release x64 and even Square x64, but we have already stable version of x64 version.

Thanks,

Nima

SacredCultivator

Thanks for the input guys.

Guess I'll just wait on it then.

• Administrator

I believe that 32bit programs have a 2GB max RAM allowance limit. Not sure though. As you know, the final version of Firefox 4 wont be available in 64bit. So even if you switch to 64bit now, you'll have to return to 32bit when final arrives.

SacredCultivator

I have been using Tinderbox builds for I don't know how long now....

So when Firefox 4 goes final, I'll already be usign teh next build that they're working on.

But yeah, if only benefit is the RAM usage, then I definitely haveno purpose in switching.

BUt if ther eare actual performance improvements, then I coudl switch if need be.

• Administrator

Commonly, it should perform better but surprisingly, as you've mentioned in the first post, the 64bit version of IE9 that I had tested, performed worse than the 32bit version.

SacredCultivator

As stated in teh first post though, as i don't really want to test it on my Primary PC, if I were to switch over to 64-bit, and grabbed the 64-bit counterparts of Java/Adobe Flash, would uninstalling the 32-bit versions break any sort of compatibility with other programs I may be using?

• Administrator

Not sure about Flash (64bit) (beta). But Java 32bit and Java 64bit can be installed side by side on the same 64bit system. :)

SacredCultivator

Yeah, Java I know can coincide with each other.

I'm just picky/weird in which I prefer to only have "one" of something installed and not 2 (32/64 bit).

So was only curious about that.

• Administrator

I misunderstood your question. Well, depending on your needs, you may need a 32bit flash installed. Some non browser programs also need flash, and most of them are in 32bit. It would also be needed if you use some other browser. Though, I don't understand why not to have them both. There are no problems that I've heard about.

SacredCultivator

I see.

Nah, I guess I'm a bit paranoid about having installations of the same product when I can just have one (32-bit).

But I do see how there can be conflicts with other programs that are only 32-bit.

Java x32 and x64 is designed to work OK when both installed on a system. Guys at Sun know that the x64 browsing is in it's infancy. Same goes with Flash. You have nothing to be worried about.

The best x64 browser now is maybe IE9... lots of improvements. Very possible things will change very much though until IE9 launches as Final. Also Adobe works hand in hand with Microsoft on the x64 IE9/Flash thing, so you can expect the highest performance/stability from Explorer in the rich flash media out there.

Archived