FireFox Plugins...Can they be uninstalled?

BlueNoceros

74604962.jpg

Is it possible to actually uninstall unused plugins or is disabling the best that can be done? These "greyed out" plugins have no option to "uninstall" only to "disable" or "enable". Thanks for any input.

• Replies 5
  • Views 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Well I've never tried it myself, but you should try going into C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins. Hover on the dll files and see it's real name. Then delete the ones you don't want. Open Firefox and see if that removes it. :)

If that doesn't remove VLC, start the VLC installation again and uncheck the browser plugin thingy.

That seams to work...I deleted a few dll's and the corrosponding plugins were gone from firefoxs list. Some plugins have no dll's in firefoxs directory such as VLC. I was however able to uninstall the plugin via VLC's options. Thanks DKT27.

• Administrator

Welcome and glad to help. :)

Well, here's an article that should help you more incase you wanna delete some more. :D

Some plugins will be indicated in the registry... for various programs. Like Adobe's Contribute Toolbar.. and the files themselves will exist within various directories which can be found and researched using the MrTech Toolkit extension, other means of researching on the Internet, or the Plugin Manager. Some may have to be manually removed/deleted/backed-up then the registry cleaned to see the effect within the browser or system.. but there is always a way to remove them.. I prefer cleaning the registry afterwards that way there are no missing files that the browser is looking for or any other program.. and usually none of these will truly impact the ability for a program to function properly.. and most are not needed..

Archived