Folder Size View Reveals Query

anemones2

For xp http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/ there is this add on, but MS took out the interface.

So people can't make colum addons for Windows 7, so I found:

http://www.mindgems.com/software/FolderSize.exe (is the download link can't find the page link but see program in screen shot below)

Untitled.png

But what is the deal; i'm at school, copying a teachers data over for her before she moves, and I'm trying to find what is taking up 500gb+ on her maxima drive;

but yeah, only 2gb there :P funny thing is, MY folder on her drive is the largest. All my work for here >_< I've only been here 1/10 the time :D

Also, where do you suppose I would find the Application Data folder for Outlook, I know it is in Local Settings etc.

But in this instance where?

As you log on with this teacher's login, then open outlook on any computer and it brings up e-mail, I thought it would be in her Drive on maxima.

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Maybe she has something hidden, something huge in size? :P

ANW, try this Soft. Not a addon, but should help. :)

Maybe she has something hidden, something huge in size? :P

ANW, try this Soft. Not a addon, but should help. :)

Drive W: is the same, has about 2gb in it.

And nope no hidden files; this must be the smallest school server ever. ._o heap of students though. and staff.

but 2gb each haha, piffle. Assuming some of them don't actually have something on their drive.

Before I delete all the files i've saved to External HD from the School Drive, that says 500gb+ but only has 2gb, I thought i'd ask.

If there are no hidden files, and i've selected all and copied it over, should be safe?

I personally like DiskSpaceFan Pro...( alot more to it than the screenshot.. )

If she has a hidden Partition then it could be the problem.. Also if you used something like Unstoppable Copier.. It will take and created repetitive Folder structures for all Hard Links.. the odd shortcuts that deny access while in Windows...( how 5 - 10 Gb turns into like 200 GB ) Also the file table could have been screwed up on this drive in someway... and the drive itself only seemed to be empty...Then the only way would be to use some tools from Hirens to try to recover it .. or use a recovery software to to scan the drive and recover those files.. Once they are back off the drive.. Then kill the partition(s), repartition, reformat.. and then try this operation again.. Her drive is what's at fault... It could have happened because of several reasons.. Like the newest version of the Ransom encryption -ware that holds your system and file for ransom.. The latest one you must rebuild the partition table and edit the MBR or rebuild it... If she has no idea and has nothing hidden then I thats all I have besides the fact that she may have encrypted the drive but that would show itself..

I would also make sure you are showing all hidden files and folders in the system and software and change the size being shown.. in GB to MB.. that could reveal a lot especially when all of those MB's add up.. along with the differences in Size of File and Size on Disk come into play.. but a few things to think about... Rare would be if the drive is allocated as 1024 instead which would make a lot of small files take up large amount of space in disk..

I would say it would be a good idea to look into it farther.. and not necessarily Safe nor.. would you have all of them.. in fact this might be a sign of damage or corruption.. Could be a lot going here..

I doubt 3 Drives have exactly 586.49gb used, and 13.51gb free; it must be a server error.

The server is made up of a few drives; Resources with; Student Resources and Teacher Resources, Appliations with a few maths apps mainly, and Synergetic, drive.

and when you log in, your own Drive comes up; this drive is the one viewed above, for this teacher.

If there is a hidden partition, it would be something I.T handle. Not something for me to uncover, as I doubt the teacher would make a hidden partition,

she uses her laptop drive mostly, and saves the odd thing she needs to access all over the school to her maxima LAN drive.

So Idk.

That server is probably not a real Drive per person thing.. more like a Virtual Drive... and this could be the problem.. The size left on the drive that her Virtual Folders or drive is on.. actually only have 13 GB left.. and does have that much space used..

EDIT: I would have her look it over and see if it appears to have everything before you go and eradicate the originals..

Security Concerns, data access points, all of that has to be maintained in a situation like this.. Might be why it simply is not ' there '..

And I only recommend Unstoppable Copier if its a necessity.. Like blowing through permissions.. and recovering data from a crashed system.. You will have to dig through all of the duplicates.. and get all back into order later on if you do.. ( not fun )

That server is probably not a real Drive per person thing.. more like a Virtual Drive... and this could be the problem.. The size left on the drive that her Virtual Folders or drive is on.. actually only have 13 GB left.. and does have that much space used..

EDIT: I would have her look it over and see if it appears to have everything before you go and eradicate the originals..

Security Concerns, data access points, all of that has to be maintained in a situation like this.. Might be why it simply is not ' there '..

And I only recommend Unstoppable Copier if its a necessity.. Like blowing through permissions.. and recovering data from a crashed system.. You will have to dig through all of the duplicates.. and get all back into order later on if you do.. ( not fun )

U copier, only copied 2.141Gb. and like I mentioned, three drives have the same data details. Unlikely.

erd.png

But where do you think i'd find Outlook files, like the .pst file (different for Office 2010 on win7 I assume)

It must be on a network drive some where.

Mine exists in C:\Users\<account name>\My Documents\Outlook Files\ and other mail exists in C:\Users\<account name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook but this is for Windows 7 Ultimate with Microsoft Office Professional 2010... You have get all of those files or she loses all of here calendars, contacts and other information..

Personally I would have never put my data on the Server.. ever.. Without the authority to remove it... or destroy the drive itself.. the data will still be there.. even after she deletes it.. besides just getting a copy to-go.. LOL

Mine exists in C:\Users\<account name>\My Documents\Outlook Files\ and other mail exists in C:\Users\<account name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook but this is for Windows 7 Ultimate with Microsoft Office Professional 2010... You have get all of those files or she loses all of here calendars, contacts and other information..

Personally I would have never put my data on the Server.. ever.. Without the authority to remove it... or destroy the drive itself.. the data will still be there.. even after she deletes it.. besides just getting a copy to-go.. LOL

haha it is all school related data not personal anyway.

:P

But yeah I agree.

But it wouldn't be on C:] because that is the local drive for just this computer, I can log in to the pc next to me and open outlook at because I loged in with her pw and login it will load all her e-mails and contacts, ut I can't find outlook folder in her network drive .. maybe I should just search "outlook" haha in my computer

I think it does it through "Microsoft Exchange" add on, or some add on

edit

Hm it must migrate to C:/ but be linked/located somewhere else.

I found it in C:/ there is an .ost file there that is about 500+mb

I will use U Copier just encase.

Archived