How to Get the Flash 10.2 Beta Working in Google Chrome

tysroby

500x_flashbetachrome_02.jpg

Adobe just released a beta of the newest Flash player, complete with lower CPU usage and full screen dual-monitor playback. Chrome, though still uses its built-in, stable version of Flash. But even after installing the 10.2 beta, Chrome will default to its built-in version of Flash, even though it detects the 10.2 beta just fine. To use the beta instead of the stable version, follow these simple steps:

1. Download the Flash plug-in that you'd like to use with Chrome (10.2 can be found here).

2. Fire up Chrome and type about:plugins into the address bar; hit enter.

3. Click on Details in the top right of the window to expand the plug-in details.

4. Find the Flash plug-in that's listed as being in the Chrome directory and hit Disable (shown above).

5. Check which version of Flash you have by heading here.

Note that using the Flash beta likely disables Chrome's new sandboxing abilities in the Dev channel, so you have to choose which is more important to you.

That's it! Now you can jump on over to Adobe's Stage Video demo and watch as your CPU basically idles as you play HD video. If you want to reverse the procedure, just re-enable Chrome's built-in Flash plug-in and it'll take priority over the pre-release version.

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't have this problem with SrWare Iron.. ( thinking maybe you have remnants left over in the system? ) Or is Chrome completely different.. The only thing mine came with was Google Gears but I disabled it like 4 versions ago and it held...

EDIT: The reason I say remnants is because I have observed this for many years in other browsers.. I always clean them and double-check because it makes the browsers run more efficiently in most cases.. Same thing for other plugins as well..especially Java..

I am currently running Canary build, and before that I had Chromium as default. Maybe this Flash issue only occurs with Dev releases of Chromium based browsers. Anyway this article was helpful for me. Hope others will find it to be the same for them.

Could be... is there a way for you to find the plugin directory its in?

EDIT: I actually see the directory in the shot above.. If the 9.0 version isn't the build your using then its probably left over.. r if you just installed over it.. has something to do with it.. definitely comes with it though, like you said.. Did not think about looking before.. LOL.. Maybe something they can work out after it gets released... :dunno: I actually hate it when plugins are included with browsers.. Almost like Portable oes where you have to manually update the files.. but it has to be done..

Archived