Avira Antivirus

SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Hey Readers,

I've been meaning to ask this a long time ago, but was just too lazy.

Anyway, as most people know, Avira has quite a lot of false positives.

But my question is... Apart from manually placing the "Infected" file in the Exceptions... Whenever it detects it or when I transfer to a Flash Drive, the pop-up alert shows up.

Now when it scans it and asks for an action, I select "Always Ignore" although it doesn't seem to ignore since the next time I use it, the alert shows up again.

And I've never quite looked into "Place into Quarantine before Action", as I wasn't too sure what it does.

So just thought to get a little insight on that, or to basically put an end to this nagging of false positives whenever the Guard is scanning files/ when I want ot use/ transfer the file.

Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Views 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Avira has the best detection but the high false positives got to be so bad that I moved away from it about two years ago.

I tried every setting to deal with the false positives and still it would give me alerts about them even when I put them in the exclusions.

The reason that Avira has such a high false positive rate is that it lacks digital file signature checking, so it is very common for small files under 600kb to be flagged as malware.

I switch over to Avast Free which has almost as good detection rate minus the high false positives.

I haven't had any infection since I moved to Avast Free, so it works for me, No complaints..

Thanks.:D

You could probably try disabling heuristics and all the other guessing mechanisms and rely on the virus definitions alone.

Thats was the very reason I removed Avira from my Mom and Dads Vista installation.. constant nagging.. and it would not pay attention to settings applied... I actually did it to minimize load on their system by only using the AV.. and actually found that with all that was going on it actually put more load on the system.. Eventually I got fed-up.. and switched the system back to ESS.. and never looked back... they seem to be happier with it too.. ( quite a few less questions to ask and OTHER nagging to go along with it.. :lmao: )

SacredCultivator

I guess for now, I'll just lower the heuristics to Medium and see how that works out, and if not, to low... Then finally just turn it off.

Unno, I've just grown attached to Avira is all.

Used to be an avid fan of ESET, forget what happened to make me switch.

Thanks for the feedback.

Archived