Do We Really Need A Firewall?

nsane99

The main purpose for a firewall for most people is to keep things (applications, connections..etc) from getting OUT not as a form of protection from cyber attacks.

Whether you need an firewall or not depends on your skills and requirements.

• Replies 35
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are thinking inside the 'PirateBox' too much.. Reason I say this.. is that I could assume by what your saying that a program polling out... for a connection.. or sending information out of the system which contains data which can lead to the system being hacked or even your identity exploited is not a protection..."main purpose for a firewall for most people" Thats a fairly LARGE assumption...because I think that would depend on the pool of individuals you are talking and the focus of the perspective.. or study group..

The main purpose for a firewall for most people is to keep things (applications, connections..etc) from getting OUT not as a form of protection from cyber attacks.

exactly ;)

Jordan de Souza

I use and recommend firewall cause:

• I got attacked very very often.
  • I don't won't some programs sending information out ou my rig.
  • It doesn't really SLOW my pc. At least not KIS.

That's exactly me. :D

Well, I think most of internet users don't have enough computer's skills and they don't even really care about protections.

Yes, Firewalls and Antivirus software is needed.

Even an experienced user can benefit from having both. Firewalls are important because they can help prevent viruses from uploading sensitive information onto the internet. Keyloggers will attempt to record information typed on the keyboard and relay it to another person.

Closing protocols and ports not used by verified software is a good measure to take to help prevent malicious connections being made.

Having a virus scanner is important because even experienced users can sometimes become infected. You would be surprised how easily malicious code can infect your computer. Using Internet Explorer is an invitation for something to sneak into your computer without any visual indication that you have been infected until its too late.

An experienced PC user will tell you that most viruses and malware can be avoided with common sense but a Professional PC user will tell you that there is no such thing as too much security.

Security software packages greatly reduce the amount of infection and slows down the spreading of viruses, especially for novice users.

I'm sure that everyone here has had at least a few infections since they have started using computers.

Yes, Firewalls and Antivirus software is needed.

Even an experienced user can benefit from having both. Firewalls are important because they can help prevent viruses from uploading sensitive information onto the internet. Keyloggers will attempt to record information typed on the keyboard and relay it to another person.

Closing protocols and ports not used by verified software is a good measure to take to help prevent malicious connections being made.

Having a virus scanner is important because even experienced users can sometimes become infected. You would be surprised how easily malicious code can infect your computer. Using Internet Explorer is an invitation for something to sneak into your computer without any visual indication that you have been infected until its too late.

An experienced PC user will tell you that most viruses and malware can be avoided with common sense but a Professional PC user will tell you that there is no such thing as too much security.

Security software packages greatly reduce the amount of infection and slows down the spreading of viruses, especially for novice users.

I'm sure that everyone here has had at least a few infections since they have started using computers.

+1 !

++

• 3 weeks later...
Jordan de Souza

look at this website: http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

It shows you the results of firewalls when they were tested against threats. Pc tools didn't do well. I use my router firewall + Windows XP Firewall.

Thank you for sharing this report... i'm abysmed with Comodo at first place with 100% SCORE! That surprized me a lot... thinking of changing my concept about it.

Anyways... sticking with: avast! antivir + malwarebytes anti malware + ad muncher.

look at this website: http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

It shows you the results of firewalls when they were tested against threats. Pc tools didn't do well. I use my router firewall + Windows XP Firewall.

Thank you for sharing this report... i'm abysmed with Comodo at first place with 100% SCORE! That surprized me a lot... thinking of changing my concept about it.

COMODO is not bad at all actually. It is fairly light and effective. I was also surprised when I saw the results the first time.

Archived