PerfectDisk Professional 11 Build 182

jalaffa

• Replies 40
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah you know the thing running in the background if you don't know how to really disable it.. keeps fighting you on location of the files on the HD.. that thing... Especially when I first adopted Vista.. and First tried UD ver.2 way back.. on XP... Windows 7. am not for sure about the defragger.. if it still does that or not.. To me it would seem that Microsoft wold invest in improving there Defrag Module to address these newer methods which can improve time.. their OS... They may already have I mean it can depend on how its being looked at too..

DKT27@ 150%? Nah, spend 2 hours configuring UD for a gain that's not even noticeable? No thanks, what you see is just a placebo effect. Defragging apps will become basically obsolete sooner or later though - Ext4 + SSD.

• Administrator

Well, I wont be buying SSDs till SSD DRAM drives get cheap, but yea, sooner or later HDD will get low in usage. But Windows Defrag is nowhere compared to other defrag apps. See how it works, it finds a fragmented file, finds a free space, and then joints that file while moving it to that free space, one file of a software in one side of the drive, and another in the other side of the drive, now what UD will do, it will arrange all the files in the folder next to each other, hence speeding up the reading, infact, saying 150% increase would still be a start, also, because you wont need to access the files in the inner side of the disk, and only access the files on the other side of the disk, it reduces the wear and tear on the drive, hence, improves it's life. If you still don't think so, just ask the disk experts.

I first used perfect disk then oo defrag for months.. But I don't use them anymore and i don't see any performance issue with the built in one in Windows 7.

@dc18, your test isn't a real life scenario... if you analyze your HDD after a windows defrag, with perfect disk it doens't detect fragmentation (about 0.1%). Offline defragmentation, is that so important ? not anymore.

@hannubys:

I beg to differ. When dealing with a large and fragmented pagefile, Offline Defragmentation is a must.

@hannubys:

I beg to differ. When dealing with a large and fragmented pagefile, Offline Defragmentation is a must.

Someone need to explain me how to configure Perfect disk then. Because i when i choose the auto configuration i don't see any difference.

Do i have to do more config ?

@hannubys:

The great thing about PerfectDisk is that you don't need to configure it much.

You can also choose which method of SMARTPlacement would suit a drive.

And when you need to do an Offline Defrag just tick the check box under Boot Time.

@hannubys:

The great thing about PerfectDisk is that you don't need to configure it much.

You can also choose which method of SMARTPlacement would suit a drive.

And when you need to do an Offline Defrag just tick the check box under Boot Time.

Thank, i'll check that.

There is "SMARTPlacement Classic (Default", smartplacement Classic Alternate, smartplacement Performance, smartplacement Performance Aggressive and finally smartplacement Conservative to choose from.

Click on Learn More to find out more....or you can also Customize your Strategy.

@dcs18

Nicely put!

Boot time defrag messed up my pc, just a warning. It wouldn't boot afterwards. Although I had done it successfuly many times before :rolleyes:

Yeah I have seen this happen before a couple of times... Some files with some systems just simply should not be moved... and some will go wrong in the middle of.. seen that twice.. One thing that is killing me right no is that Acronis's Boot Time Recovery installation leaves the files fragmented all over my drive.. instead of being able to move it all... Also seen more than one thing try to take over at Boot Time and kill a partition... leaving it un-bootable... but I believe some moving was involved at some point.. only a few things you can do to resolve it though... I was lucky when mine did it.. all I did is reboot a few more times.. but with more recent systems.. I think that it will be more of a Hiren's BootCD issue to be resolved and recover..

Archived