Event Viewer Help

HX1

Event Viewer Helpev.png

This will be a thread dedicated to helping/assisting with Event ID's and Solutions to eradicate errors in your Operating System. Addressing these issues and being aware of them and what they mean, can help your system run more efficiently and smoothly, as well as chase down mysterious problems which can happen randomly. The Event Viewer is a useful tool for Troubleshooting and can help you get the most out of your system by eradicating these problems...

You can confront..

• Slow boot times

• Missing Services

• Bad or Corrupt Hard Drives

• On-Board and Peripheral Device Problems

• Performance Issues

• Source of program crashes and system errors

• Problematic Software

• ..More

Please post your OS, a copy of the error(s) you are having, and any other pertinent information to the problem you are experiencing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 9
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Windows Event Viewer PlusWEVP.png

A little tool I ran across the other day.. may be useful to some of you.. ( I personally have to have the long drawn out version. ) Can help in seeking online help and quick and easy access to exporting helpful information.

The Windows Club is pleased to release Windows Event Viewer Plus, a portable freeware app that lets you view Event Logs faster than the default in-built Windows Event Viewer and do more with them!

Simply download and run this portable app, select the Log you want to view and you will see the list almost immediately.

Double-click an entry to view detailed information about the entry. You can also export the Entry to a text file, select the Web Search Button to look up the entry online to find out more information or troubleshoot errors.

Features:

• You can view logs from Local Computer or you have the option to connect to Remote PC to view logs.

• The Tools Menu includes easy access to some built-in functions to solve PC problems as well as resource links to help you research. You can search Microsoft Support, Bing, Google or Yahoo for further help. Clicking on the buttons will launch your browser and search the internet for the Event Type and Event ID.

• Eliminated the sorting order that default Windows Event Viewer uses, thus allowing logs to load much faster than using the Windows Event Viewer.

• You can export each entry to a text file.

Windows Event Viewer Plus v 1.0 has been developed by Lee Whittington for The Windows Club.

If there are any problems, please do report them and offer any suggestions if you have any at TWCF Feedback thread. More features are planned for the next release as this is intended to be a quick access tool to help users easily manage their PC problems.

Original Article

Homepage:The Windows Club

Download: WEVP 1.0

• Administrator

Seems to be a nice one. :)

Hangs too much (while scanning). :(

Yeah when I was posting this to get a possible screen shot.. I noticed when loading 23,000 Security entries.. it sort of hung.. Almost like the Regular Event Viewer for Windows does on startup...

If you have never cleaned out your logs... You might want to .. so the files are smaller and faster to load.. it also doesn't take away from normal writing performance.. I would do this if you are looking to clear out and notice recent errors... cumulative errors from the time your system has been installed should not be necessary unless your investigating an issue from way back.. but you can use this tool..Run as an Administrator... Advisable to clean out Security every now and then.. lots of entries.. may help.. very useful.. May see a few invalids run across but its only if the log doesn't exist.. I think this may be okay for use on Vista systems as well.. but not for sure..

Clear ALL Logs 7

Its a simple TXT file that I found that was written to clear ALL logs.. ( turned into a .bat ) instead of one at a time... which takes hours... The last issues I had I finally cleared by res-hackng the files themselves.. Come to find out that some SideBySide errors are there because of improper notation in the files themselves.. such as either invalid 'headers' or wildcards left in place of actual entries... I think possibly okay for 64 bit but not for 32 bit.. not for sure but nevertheless I have finally hit a place for 0 Errors and a few warning levels.. that are unavoidable.. like DNS Entries.. so on.. occasional Schannel failure though..

• Administrator

Well, I never actually thought about clearing the events before, and come to think of it, would be taking huge amount of space on my HDD. :think:

But before I run the bat file, do you know where these logs are kept?

I do know, but its not coming to me ATM.. I sort of skipped looking.. and went looking for something to help me clear them all.. I noticed a bunch of holes in my UD Diagram afterwards... not for sure how much space was cleared.. I always though the Disk Cleanup did it.. but it only clears out other logs... So I will have to run a search and you may want to try this.. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315417

I am facing an issue which I have searched everywhere for a resolution to.. I have it in both version of Windows 7 Ultimate that I maintain.. one mine and one someone else's.

Event ID 6

An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably.The Registry could not flush hive (file): ''.

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-General

Date: 19.12.2010 13:14:52

Event ID: 6

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords:

User: SYSTEM

Computer: 0-PC

Description:

An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably.The Registry could not flush hive (file): ''.

This bothers me but I have ignored for so long.. is like the only thing left to get rid of... I cannot find documentation about it. If anyone knows anything about it.. Would be nice..

• 1 month later...

Well, I never actually thought about clearing the events before, and come to think of it, would be taking huge amount of space on my HDD. :think:

But before I run the bat file, do you know where these logs are kept?

Logs... I just found by accident.. C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs simple enough..LOL

• Administrator

Nice. :)

Well it's 78MB after 2 months of logs. I had used that BAT file about 2 months ago. :)

Somehow don't I feel looking at logs and the Windows firewall settings as they seem more harder on Windows 7 compared to previous OSs. That's why I don't look into logs unless really needed, like when bluescreenview can't properly identify reasons behind BSOD or when I do a checkdisk...

When I do an installation, notice undesired program activity, or I am doing my normal system maintenance cleaning and so on.. I have a look.. before I clean them out.. To make sure there are no issues I need to clear up or fix.. Usually pretty helpful in finding a few problems... just using and watching the logs from the first page and watching for Errors.. and Failed Audits.. Then I clean... :) and hope it holds for a month.. LOL.. I ts good in my case where I have most of the software installed and pretty much have everything I need .. versus constantly installing and testing software..

Archived