Test Your Computer's Reboot Time

Brrownie

How to Test Your Computer's Reboot Time

This works for both XP, Vista and Windows 7

Open Notepad and copy everything in the code box below and paste it in Notepad.

Code:

Option Explicit
On Error Resume Next
Dim Wsh, Time1, Time2, Result, PathFile, MsgResult, MsgA, AppName, KeyA, KeyB, TimeDiff
MsgA = "Please close all running applications and click on OK."
KeyA = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RestartTime\"
KeyB = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\RestartTime"
AppName = "[GeekPolice] Reboot Time"
Set Wsh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
PathFile = """" & WScript.ScriptFullName & """"
Result = wsh.RegRead(KeyA & "Times")
if Result = "" then
MsgResult = Msgbox (MsgA, vbOKCancel, AppName)
If MsgResult = vbcancel then WScript.Quit
Wsh.RegWrite KeyA & "Times", left(Time,8), "REG_SZ"
Wsh.RegWrite KeyB, PathFile, "REG_SZ"
Wsh.Run "cmd /c Shutdown -r -t 00", false, 0
else
Wsh.RegDelete KeyA & "Times"
Wsh.RegDelete KeyA
Wsh.RegDelete KeyB
TimeDiff = DateDiff("s",Result,left(Time,8))
MsgBox "Your computer reboots in " & TimeDiff & " seconds", VbInformation, AppName
end if
wscript.Quit

2. Save the file as Reboot Time.vbs on anywhere, your desktop for example. You can choose to save the file as any name you want, just make sure the file ends with a .vbs extension.

Got it from another site..

Enjoy!

Or

For lazy ppl like me :P

Site : http://www.mediafire.com/

Sharecode : ?2m69n8r16qla4bx

• Replies 23
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should have posted the rest of it..

How to use:

• Double click on the script file you saved.

• Close all the running applications and click the OK button in the dialog box.

• The computer will reboot and when Windows and a dialog box will open displaying the time your computer took to reboot.

How it works:

In order to calculate the time of rebooting Windows, we will use a VB Script (Visual BASIC Scripting Edition). Let us learn first how it works. The script writes a value in the registry (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Current Version\run) so that it can be started again when booting. Later, another value containing the time is written in the registry when the reboot starts. While rebooting, the script records the hour in a variable then checks if the first value containing the time exists. If so, it is then enough to compare two times in order to obtain the time of rebooting. Then, the two keys added to the registry are removed (the run key and the key where the time is stored).

If you wan to learn how to get a boot up time like mine, check this tutorial out: Use Multiple CPU's at Startup

Script Source

Nice find Brrownie, and thanks for the share!

here is my result.

PWGQB.png

oh also keep in in mind that your firewall will have a impact on those times.

I had to run the file twice to get that 57 sec (first time i got 93 seconds) reading because comodo defense+ asked me permission to access some files which had a big delay. Make sure to disable your firewall or make an exception before running.

My first one ran a 168... But that was with me going.. ' Oh I have to put in my password now.. ' but nevertheless for whatever reason I have been having some small issues with the position of my files on the HD since last upgrade of UD.. and for some reason I get this lag in the black space before the Logon Screen.. Usual Suspects show no problems.. but Diagnostic Performance showed cFos as taking longer to startup.. had some lingering entries from the Acronis Update.. Small thing to cleanup..

Anyway.. regular maintenance performed.. everything back like it was supposed to be.. rendered 90 secs.. with my crappy hardware.. LOL

though i have good hardware still it takes almost 1and half minute to reboot

@ heath i guess u r correct with cfosspeed, its taking time to load its drivers

here is the results my computer reboot time verification

7aTEv.png

What is odd is that I never got his message until after I upgraded to 6.04.. version 5 was fine.. never showed up the Diagnostic Logs... Guess the new version needs an update... or to be fixed.. may even downgrade.. boot times were a lot better..

@Kotaxor

can u pm me the hardware info of ur lappi?im plannin to buy new one :)

Send! But its already 9 month old.

@Kotaxor saw ur pm

pretty handsome H/w though its 8 mnth old still beats everyone

well i guess i am going to make some changes for my lappi which i am planing to buy

Somethings definitely has you slowed up.... I get surprised when better hardware boots slower.. or only slightly faster.. LOL.. Also one of the reasons tweaking for clean operation sometimes get evaded.. because it seems acceptable when it could be cut in half.. at minimum.. and the whole system running lighter and more efficiently..

84 seconds on my netbook - Win7 Home Premium x86

@Kotaxor saw ur pm

pretty handsome H/w though its 8 mnth old still beats everyone

well i guess i am going to make some changes for my lappi which i am planing to buy

At that price (when I bought it)...can get an i5 now.:frusty:

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

i have ASUS ExpressGate sooooo.... i boot up in like under 5 sec! 8)

Well, it can be helpful but I advice you to uninstall it. Will hog about 2GB of your hard disk space, for something you'll never use daily. The only second bad thing about Asus, first it's softwares, second it's indirect claim that Expressgate comes embedded in the MOBO. But no, it comes in DVD, installs it with other softwares and hogs 2GB of your HDD. If there's something wrong with Windows, you can always use Hiren or Ubuntu.

• 1 month later...

29yf77q.png

I thought my system was fast but some of you are faster. Still not bad for me considering when I was using XP it took pretty long. Windows 7 is just awesome in comparison to all older version of win.

Oh boy. I thought I'll post a 2 minutes result or something with AIDA64 OSD, proceXP, StrokeIt and Kaspersky IS, not to mention other services all starting up. But incredible enough, here's my result, nop SSD, not a fast HDD, and merely a Core 2 Duo at 3.16 GHz.

Edit: The script gives a result of 61 secs.

2nd edit: 48 secs with the script after turning off unnecessary entries from the startup.

post-2350-0-95475100-1298841391_thumb.pn

Archived