BSOD's everywhere.

elohelomg

So, im trying to install windows XP, and, to be honest, this is the FIRST time i've come across this error. Every time it loads into the hard drives available, the computer gets a bsod irq not equal to blah blah blah. I figured, usually, this error is caused by the ram. So,i test them, and whattya know, they're bad. Get fresh ones, put em' in, and this time, i get to SEE the disk im using, but then it goes into a bsod.

It keeps telling me to disbale cache's and shadowing. problem is, there is no option within in the bios. The computer does load up normally, but needs to be wiped out.

Ideas?

• Replies 17
  • Views 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disabling the Read/Write Caching and Shadowing is going to be in the OS configuration and settings... not your BIOS... ( IF in fact the cache that you are referring to is Read/Write Caching - and I am not even sure you can disable it on the man drive )

This is a old, old desktop. Those settings are not even in the bios. xD

You have to go into the device settings for the Device... after you boot into Windows.. Volume Shadowing should also be a service which is turned off... and disabled.. There are several ways to do it..

EDIT: If the system is really old you may want to look at replacing it or the hardware.. especially if your trying to install a newer OS..

This is a old, old desktop. Those settings are not even in the bios. xD

You have to go into the device settings for the Device... after you boot into Windows.. Volume Shadowing should also be a service which is turned off... and disabled.. There are several ways to do it..

EDIT: If the system is really old you may want to look at replacing it or the hardware.. especially if your trying to install a newer OS..

There is no OS to boot into. I cant exactly change the settings if there isn't anything to boot O.o

Is there a way where i can install windows on my own pc, on the other hard drive, and switch the hard drive to the other one?

Can you find the correct BIOS for the system in question.. and to answer the question above the answer would be no.. not at this point.. I mean you could .. but it may not work.. plus if your having problems in the BIOS.. ( I thought you meant it would boot properly but you got an error )... They need to be addressed..

Can you find the correct BIOS for the system in question.. and to answer the question above the answer would be no.. not at this point.. I mean you could .. but it may not work.. plus if your having problems in the BIOS.. ( I thought you meant it would boot properly but you got an error )... They need to be addressed..

Heres what happens. When i put in the windows XP, it loads up everything, but, when it comes to to the previously installed versions, or, shows the hard drive and its contents, it crashes with a BSOD. It asks me to disable the BIOS' shadowing and what not, but, there is no option like that in the bios.

Right, so what I am thinking is that either drivers on your Disk for the drive are not working correctly.. or the firmware is bad on either the HD.. or for the BIOS.. possibly even your DD...so why I suggest looking for the specific BIOS and firmware upgrades or updaters for the particular computer... Where did the system come from.. One you already had or second hand..

I would also see what results you get when running Hiren's Boot Disc..

EDIT: Are you certain you are using ONLY an untouched version of XP...

Right, so what I am thinking is that either drivers on your Disk for the drive are not working correctly.. or the firmware is bad on either the HD.. or for the BIOS.. possibly even your DD...so why I suggest looking for the specific BIOS and firmware upgrades or updaters for the particular computer... Where did the system come from.. One you already had or second hand..

I would also see what results you get when running Hiren's Boot Disc..

EDIT: Are you certain you are using ONLY an untouched version of XP...

It was pre used. What should i do with the hirens boot disk?

First check all of your hardware inside the computer.. make sure your jumpers are right on your drive/drives... cables are nice and secure.. then..

I would first attempt to boot into MiniXP Mode and see what happens, I would access the drive ( with Hiren's BootCD ) and see if there are any problems.. there are also quite a few utilities with which you can check the drive.... see if there is any data on the disc.. and run a diagnostic.. to see if there are any problems there...

Then if not I would either wipe the drive and/or partition.. and reformat it.. Boot into BIOS.. reset it to defaults... and try the install disc again.. I would also.. IF it fails.. try another installation disc... and go from there..could be several things..

First check all of your hardware inside the computer.. make sure your jumpers are right on your drive/drives... cables are nice and secure.. then..

I would first attempt to boot into MiniXP Mode and see what happens, I would access the drive ( with Hiren's BootCD ) and see if there are any problems.. there are also quite a few utilities with which you can check the drive.... see if there is any data on the disc.. and run a diagnostic.. to see if there are any problems there...

Then if not I would either wipe the drive and/or partition.. and reformat it.. Boot into BIOS.. reset it to defaults... and try the install disc again.. I would also.. IF it fails.. try another installation disc... and go from there..could be several things..

I tried installing tiny windows 7, and, it got a LOT further. I got to the point where i had to tell it which hard drive to delete, and did that successfully. Expanded all the files and what not, rebooted, but, when it came to "finishing install", i got a BSOD.

attempting to write where its only read only.

Well, that sounds like some component is broken. Maybe that hard disk is gone. If you have some other HDD, try it on that computer.

Cheers ;)

I concur.. totally.. drive is flat-lined.... or something else is wrong... Sounds like a bad driver though.. or the system is WAY too old.. Care to post up some specs.. or model number? or something? ( hard to do without using a boot CD or anything.. ) If its really old.. I would say its simply time for it to be trashed.. and it seems it has been scavenged and the good has been juiced out of it.. is what I am thinking right now... RAM.. Hard Drive.. strange errors... I think you got screwed.. It would not surprise me..

I concur.. totally.. drive is flat-lined.... or something else is wrong... Sounds like a bad driver though.. or the system is WAY too old.. Care to post up some specs.. or model number? or something? ( hard to do without using a boot CD or anything.. ) If its really old.. I would say its simply time for it to be trashed.. and it seems it has been scavenged and the good has been juiced out of it.. is what I am thinking right now... RAM.. Hard Drive.. strange errors... I think you got screwed.. It would not surprise me..

I swapped out the ram, i got a bit further in the install, but, ultimately crashed. The hard drive, i switched out. still no cigar.

Well.. you could buy more hardware and cables and g through the whole thing... one piece t a time.. but by the time you are finished you could have taken the money and built yourself a good system.. for the same price instead of buying compatible decade old + hardware..

You should be able to use Hiren's to get some specs or list what type of system it is.. Technically.. I would say it would time to take what good parts you have out of it.. and trash it.. providing you have check connections and done all you can.. It is going to be a motherboard... or component.. possibly a cable.. or even a bad BIOS.. someone may have even bricked the system by installing the wrong BIOS for the machine.. simple to do.. and at this rate would not hurt.. otherwise you have exactly just that.. tie a rope around it with a note and throw through the window of the place you bought it from --- ' Brick '.. not really but you get the point.. :)

Well.. you could buy more hardware and cables and g through the whole thing... one piece t a time.. but by the time you are finished you could have taken the money and built yourself a good system.. for the same price instead of buying compatible decade old + hardware..

You should be able to use Hiren's to get some specs or list what type of system it is.. Technically.. I would say it would time to take what good parts you have out of it.. and trash it.. providing you have check connections and done all you can.. It is going to be a motherboard... or component.. possibly a cable.. or even a bad BIOS.. someone may have even bricked the system by installing the wrong BIOS for the machine.. simple to do.. and at this rate would not hurt.. otherwise you have exactly just that.. tie a rope around it with a note and throw through the window of the place you bought it from --- ' Brick '.. not really but you get the point.. :)

Yea. I figured as much. Whats interesting, though, is it seems i might be able to get linux on here.

Archived