Firefox 4

AshTheGamer

Hello about every 5-10 minutes either in FireFox or Chrome I get this message when trying to access websites "Firefox cannot find server at www.google.com" I don't have any anti-virus. I know its not the website and Detect settings is automatic.

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you mean ' Cannot Find Server '... I was noticing some odd problems this morning....

EDIT:

Are you surfing Google related services?

What are your logs saying in the Event Viewer.. any DNS Response Problems?

Try opening a cmd prompt and running ' ipconfig /flushdns ' and see if that helps?

C:\Users\Media>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution.

@AshTheGamer:

1. Open Computer Management ( My Computer > Manage )

2. Check the DNS Client service ( Services and Applications > Services )

3. If ithe service is disabled, set it to Automatic.

4. Restart your PC, then use ipconfig /flushdns again

Any load on you Internet Connection... Type of connection and Speed Test.. Checked and verified Router settings, cables and connections... checked for noise on Wireless or interference... Even checked to see if any wiring runs for more than 3 feet adjacent to network?

Made any alterations changes or tweaks to this area?

Seriously...

I recommend you to reinstall your PC. If you have two PCs in your home it's really easy, just setup a network, copy all files you need to keep over to another system, download all programs you need to install (simply by checking out your start menu > programs), copy them to the new PC as well, reinstall Windows (format, reinstall) and then all these issues you're having should be gone ;)

It's not worth fixing a system that keeps breaking when it's easier to get a new system (for free) :P

Would you spend 5.000 euro to fix a 2.000 euro car? Don't think so ;)

You want to try moving over 3TB of Data??

I am sure that with 3TB of data, that you had backed up regularly, would not take that much time.

But than again the real question becomes, how much pain and suffering can you endure before you institute the necessary changes?

BTW: I do get the same error but it was my ISP that was causing bad connections.

3TB of data would obviously be spread over a couple of disks, the only data you have to move would be the data on your C disk (or rather the disk which contains Windows). ;)

Bes sure to go to your OpenDNS Dashboard and go through the settings.. some good settings in there like Caching ( Beta ) and some other stuff.. need to use the Updater with it though.. but you only need to run it when or after your IP changes.. :thumbsup:

what makes my chrome and firefox crash recently? i'm just running the two apps simultaneously, 1 browser playing games on facebook.com and the other browsing/playing youtube...

firefox always take 50-70% cpu usage

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4

Scan saved at 6:27:32 PM, on 12/5/2010

Platform: Windows 7 (WinNT 6.00.3504)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7600.16671)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2010\TuneUpUtilitiesApp32.exe

C:\Windows\system32\taskhost.exe

C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe

C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\egui.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IDMan.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IEMonitor.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

D:\DDfiles\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 192.168.25.9:800

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =

O2 - BHO: IDM Helper - {0055C089-8582-441B-A0BF-17B458C2A3A8} - C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IDMIECC.dll

O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll

O2 - BHO: Java Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [egui] "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\egui.exe" /hide /waitservice

O8 - Extra context menu item: Download FLV video content with IDM - C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IEGetVL.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL

O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll

O23 - Service: Apache2 - Apache Software Foundation - C:\OpenSA\Apache2\bin\Apache.exe

O23 - Service: Autorun CDROM Monitor - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\SupportAppXL\cdrom_mon.exe

O23 - Service: ESET HTTP Server (EhttpSrv) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\EHttpSrv.exe

O23 - Service: ESET Service (ekrn) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrn.exe

O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

O23 - Service: @C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2010\TuneUpDefragService.exe,-1 (TuneUp.Defrag) - TuneUp Software - C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2010\TuneUpDefragService.exe

O23 - Service: TuneUp Utilities Service (TuneUp.UtilitiesSvc) - TuneUp Software - C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2010\TuneUpUtilitiesService32.exe

O23 - Service: Window Washer Engine (wwEngineSvc) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\WasherSvc.exe

--

End of file - 3875 bytes

unknownasphyxiated

make sure that you update firefox and chrome to latest build

firefox 3.6.12

chrome 8.0.552.215

also uninstall any incompatible addon

My first question is do you know you have a webserver running? That is using Apache? Second thing is that Firefox should not be crashing if it is up to date and running the plugin-container. UNLESS.. after you overload your system running Flash and continue to run Firefox with issuing the report r having the plugin container restart

.. I had the same problem awhile back... and it did not happen immediately.. Flash will crash the browser because it is taking a lot of resources.. and it has thrown up an an error.. The internals to that I do not know.. but it does and can happen.

I would also be willing to bet that overloading your system this way.. with Firefox running high system resources and Chrome expecting to be able to ramp usage WAY up when loading a tab.. together would cause them both to crash.. If its doing it on its own .. then its either the site your on... could be exploited in some way or compromised... or simply had a problem in the program or code... You could also need to upgrade or check your version of Flash..

Best possible advice would be to not try to do these things at the same time... and if you do.. do them in the same browser.. You actually are not getting around the issue by using two browsers, and because of your selection of the two.. You are actually causing more of a problem.. I would go with the simplest of things which is that right there.. and test it.. If you have repeated crashing in just one.. or the other then its going to be another issue... which will need to be traced down.. Looking at your Event Viewer can also help you find the source of the problem in the error logging..

Archived