Eset 4.0 or 4.2?

nsane99

I'm currently using Eset Smart Security 4.2.67.10 and im experiencing system slowdown.

I reinstall Eset Smart Security 4.0.474.0 and my system speeds up.

Now... Is it advisable for me to stay with 4.0? or it is recommended to upgrade to 4.2?

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you can still download and install version 4.0 ESET, but I recommend you download and install version 4.2 for maximum protection.:)

ESET 4.2 many improvements to version 4.0. Check Here

Yes, you can still download and install version 4.0 ESET, but I recommend you download and install version 4.2 for maximum protection.:)

ESET 4.2 many improvements to version 4.0. Check Here

After trying some release versions of 4.2 and all of them makes slowdowns but when installed Eset 4.2.40.0 no slowdowns encountered looks like this release fits my needs :lol:

Having a software firewall is practically useless, nobody wants to hack you. Most users have dynamic IP addresses anyways so again, nobody wants to hack you or any other typical user so why waste resources on a firewall you will never need? Companies saw a way to easily leverage on the insecurities of computer users by making them believe in false threats that have a 0.00001% chance of occurring just so those said companies could sell their products.

What excuse will people give? They will say they need hips and behavourial protection and protection against worms stealing there data, well in all those cases if any threat gets through then blame your antivirus, it does not mean you need a firewall software. Software hips is another useless thing, it does nothing except ask you for permission to run everything, quite worthless. You want hips protection then go to cisco or nortel and buy equipment that actually provides hips/hids protection. People can lie to themselves all they want to provide self comfort but in reality those software firewalls do nothing but hinder productivity and waste your time, they also provide no extra security over the default windows firewall.

I'm currently using Eset Smart Security 4.2.67.10 and im experiencing system slowdown.

I reinstall Eset Smart Security 4.0.474.0 and my system speeds up.

Now... Is it advisable for me to stay with 4.0? or it is recommended to upgrade to 4.2?

This could be a result of system settings.. I would comb through them and see if there are any areas which need to be addressed or are overlapping.. There are quite a few variables that could apply here and as to why your having issues..

Having a software firewall is practically useless, nobody wants to hack you. Most users have dynamic IP addresses anyways so again, nobody wants to hack you or any other typical user so why waste resources on a firewall you will never need? Companies saw a way to easily leverage on the insecurities of computer users by making them believe in false threats that have a 0.00001% chance of occurring just so those said companies could sell their products.

What excuse will people give? They will say they need hips and behavourial protection and protection against worms stealing there data, well in all those cases if any threat gets through then blame your antivirus, it does not mean you need a firewall software. Software hips is another useless thing, it does nothing except ask you for permission to run everything, quite worthless. You want hips protection then go to cisco or nortel and buy equipment that actually provides hips/hids protection. People can lie to themselves all they want to provide self comfort but in reality those software firewalls do nothing but hinder productivity and waste your time, they also provide no extra security over the default windows firewall.

I almost agree in all, but i like to have a tool that can allow or block internet access on demand.

NetLimiter 2 seems to be very nice, allowing you to block or put limits for each application, but every time i use it, i think my internet performance drops heavily.

So i use ESS (in combination with NetLimiter 1 some years ago). I only need a *basic* friendly firewall

Oh no.. after installing Eset Smart Security 4.2.40.0 it dropped my wireless connection. I tried to reconnect with no success.. whats wrong with eset :unsure:

Now im back at Eset 4.0.474.0 and my internet connection came back... :mellow:

Oh no.. after installing Eset Smart Security 4.2.40.0 it dropped my wireless connection. I tried to reconnect with no success.. whats wrong with eset :unsure:

Now im back at Eset 4.0.474.0 and my internet connection came back... :mellow:

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2351 :D

make sure in ESET that protect is set to allow sharing (network)

This can also be caused by your Advanced and IDS Settings... Some protections can be tripped by the method of function of your Network , ISP, or DNS Server..

Though I agree with the notion of no need for a firewall, i could see why some people would need it. I installed it on a friends PC, and he travels a lot, running business stuff, whatever. I installed a firewall to stealth his ports, and basically make him invisible.

As for HIPS applications, this i cannot agree with.

Malware Defender: Check this thread. Effective, yet simple. I use it on some business computers to solidify them. Limit the users as to what they can do, what they cant. They have yet to be infected. Really hard to infect something almost NO software can be run.

It all comes down to who. Some people love alerts, some dont. Software firewalls ARE useless, but, i can see some (how little it may be) use for them. I dont use them particularly, but, I do enjoy my HIPS software.

Just my two cents.

Please dont hate on me... xD

I honestly disagree... I am not saying that there is a huge need for a firewall in place.. but if you and everyone stops using it.. guess what will happen.. I also feel that through using the firewall you actually have control of what is going out and coming into your system.. with ESS I feel I have better control over the Rules that are set.. and I am also notified when something sends a request for a connection to my system.. I see that as a needed knowledge to say the least... I run several servers on my system as well.. and there are a few programs that I honestly do not want communicating outside of my system.. and love the idea that should something get installed that a rule has not been made for.. I will know if its existence immediately...

I also believe in HIDS/HIPS.. Yes UAC is an HIDS system.. as well as monitoring this area... ESS has this capability as well.. less prevalent after initial rules are being set up.. BUT it does exist... and you are made aware when something tries to access areas of your system or even interact or are detected to be accessed by Windows Explorer. IF I had something crawling through my system.. that did not have a specific rule or definition set for it.. I would be made aware...

The Internet can be made safer, we can change our habits and FEEL safer or even have a false sense of security.. BUT regardless of the prevalence.. it does still exist... I mean I do cover quite a few areas in my computer quite thoroughly... using the knowledge of those areas and the methods in which most vulnerabilities that are known found and sometimes patched are caused from.. so I sort of like to have better control and knowledge of those areas.. Maybe its only for my piece of mind.. some would argue.. but either way.. its what I do..

Archived