2.5" Vs. 3.5" SSD

mara-

Hi everybody,

I'm seeing much more 2.5" SSD to buy, then 3.5". Is there any difference between drives, except the size? Can I use 2.5" SSD on my desktop PC? Is SATA cable and power cable/voltage the same?

Cheers ;)

EDIT: 1000 posts. I didn't even notice, Atasas had to remind me. :D

• Replies 9
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everybody,

I'm seeing much more 2.5" SSD to buy, then 3.5". Is there any difference between drives, except the size? Can I use 2.5" SSD on my desktop PC? Is SATA cable and power cable/voltage the same?

Cheers ;)

From experience of ATA/sATA and other interconnections- all the same, apart, that 2.5" IDE drives are possible to boot without PSU (USB)

I'm assuming 2.5" might turn out ever so slightly slower, but should have same sATA and power options. (Guesstimate)

OK, I'll need more confirmation. And, SSD has great speed comparing to HDD, so slightly slower is not really a problem. Maybe SSD shouldn't be slower at all. In laptops we usual see 5400 RPM HDD, but such thing does not exist at SSD.

Cheers ;)

For my Corsair SSD Extreme X64 2,5" 64 GB SATA2, I needed something like this: Kingston SSD 2.5" to 3.5" SATA Drive Carrier for SSDNow series (case mountable solution) to make it fit proper.

For my Corsair SSD Extreme X64 2,5" 64 GB SATA2, I needed something like this: Kingston SSD 2.5" to 3.5" SATA Drive Carrier for SSDNow series (case mountable solution) to make it fit proper.

OK, I know that I need something to fit it nice, but you didn't had to do anything else? Connection with PSU and SATA was no problem?

Cheers ;)

To be honest mara- I have not opened my rig since purchased over a year ago. It is my understanding that you don't have to do anything else though.

I'm fairly sure that there are no other measures you'll have to take. The 2.5 or 3.5 is just the size and all connections and other stuff should be exactly the same. (This is also a guess though, but I'm pretty sure, as in; I would be willing to bet my money on it ;))

The sata and power supply cables for the 2.5 and 3.5 are the same. As far as cablings, there is no need to get any special adapter to make the 2.5 work in the desktop. For me, a 2.5 form factor is better because I can swap it between a desktop and notebook.

The sata and power supply cables for the 2.5 and 3.5 are the same. As far as cablings, there is no need to get any special adapter to make the 2.5 work in the desktop. For me, a 2.5 form factor is better because I can swap it between a desktop and notebook.

Hello box, my friend, long time no see. Thanks for the info.

Cheers ;)

Archived