ATI update in Windows Updates

DKT27

• Administrator

Just today I found an update in Windows Updates Recommended section called ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series.

Wonder if anyone else has this or similar update. What do you guys think, do I need to update? I fear it may screwup my drivers.

More info on it:

ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series

Download size: 25.5 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

ATI Technologies Inc. Display software update released in October, 2010

More information:

http://winqual.micro...iverid=20394333

Help and Support:

http://support.micro...ect/?target=hub

Well, the links above don't give any ideas either.

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have that one too , but I'll not update , simply because I don't know what that is , kinda weird ...

I'm not sure what to do here ... links for help are not saying anything ...

SacredCultivator

Saw it and just said what the heck, installed it.

No problems.

I have it too, for my HD4850. Windows Update screwed up my videocard drivers once (it installed a older version of Catalyst over a new one), so I'll wait for some concrete info.

I disabled the updates for ATI drivers. Sometimes Microsoft gives you older drivers.

A few month ago i installed Catalyst 9.6 but Microsoft installed the 9.4 over the new ones.  :angry:

• Administrator

Hmm. I'll wait a little then.

BTW, do I need ATI drivers installed in VB that's running Ubuntu. Just wonder. :think:

Specifically for video drivers, it is best to download them from the hardware manufacturers. (Just remember that MS gets its updates from the manufacturers. Unfortunately, the drivers may not be the latest.)

Another way to stop the Windows Update from displaying the video driver update is to completely remove the hardware (ATI Radeon HD 5400) from the computer and send it to me. :D

• Administrator

Specifically for video drivers, it is best to download them from the hardware manufacturers. (Just remember that MS gets its updates from the manufacturers. Unfortunately, the drivers may not be the latest.)

Another way to stop the Windows Update from displaying the video driver update is to completely remove the hardware (ATI Radeon HD 5400) from the computer and send it to me. :D

Haha. :lol: I guess I will :P , cause this 5450 is the biggest POS I've seen, I really regret buying it but had no other option. 5570 wasn't released in India at that time. Remember old ATI Radeon 9000? This is similar with only few additions like a support for DX11, Shader 5 and OpenGL 3.2.

What I don't understand is, ATI drivers package is about 100MB in size. But this one is only 25-30MB.

The update disappear from Windows Update list after updating to Catalyst 10.11. So I suppose it was a complementary package somehow, to update from 10.10 to 10.11? I'm anyway pretty happy I resisted the temptation to install it. Better directly from AMD, but to be honest, the Catalyst drivers are usually bugged one way or another anyway. Last versions worked just fine though.  

• Administrator

SacredCultivator confirmed it on the frontpage thread. ATI update in Windows update was a driver of 10.11. Oddly, M$ got its hands on it before it was officially released. :rolleyes:

SacredCultivator

MS stole it from them!!!! Haha, and I believe the one from Windows Update was the regular package, not the one with Parallel blah blah blah, which explains why it's smaller in size as well.

What I don't understand is, ATI drivers package is about 100MB in size. But this one is only 25-30MB.

It's so small because only driver is included, not all other stuff, like Catalyst Control panel.

Cheers ;)

Archived