Strange graphic problem with Windows XP

mara-

Hello guys,

I'm trying to repair computer of some friends, and it has really strange issue which I never sow before. I'm trying to avoid reinstalling Windows. It seems that some graphic elements are not showing at all. Here is the example of NOD32 and nsane frontpage (attached). Anyone have any idea?

Cheers ;)

post-10441-0-42767000-1289395078_thumb.p

post-10441-0-70088600-1289395087_thumb.p

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you disabled or ( Them rather ) .. The themes service.. or possibly using an old theme.. Trying resetting these areas.. The only time I have ever seen this is when I was trying to mod Windows 7... for use with Litestep.. I could not patch the system at the time.. so I switched to the classic theme.. and modded the colors inside it..

I would check to make sure that the resolution settings and DPI settings are at normal.. Mine was redone.. and I eventually patched with VistaGlazz..

Also .. you should ask if they tried to install a small program which allowed the usage of unsigned themes... or if they tried to patch the files in some way.. this could be part of it..

EDIT: Don't forget to check the Performance Settings area as well and make sure the right items are turned on.. I actually think that if the computer gets into trouble, and its set to adjust automatically that .. this can happen.. ClearType text has been disabled.. looks like nothing other than the basics are turned on.. use visual styles..

Really with me this sort of happened trying to see how much I could squeeze out of Windows 7.. on a 12 year old system..LOL.. oops.. not a bunch of difference either.. but ugly.. to say the least.. :D

Thanks for the fast reply. Theme Service is fine. DPI and resolution is fine. Now, I don't think they patched it for unsigned themes, but some program might did that. Do you know any tool that can verify if file is original or patched?

Cheers ;)

Have you checked NOD32 user's interface? Have you checked if there's some strange theme installed? Or maybe a virus?

The only way that this is a virus or infection is if registry settings were changed by an installation maliciously..

Can you perform an SFC/ScanNow?

Did you go in and try to load a new Theme for Appearance.. and use XP? then save the theme.. and switch back to old.. then to new again..

EDIT: I know this is a simple one.. and the change you see in ESET is most definitely caused by settings in the OS.. same thing on mine.. The system starts not using the themes and styles on anything.. therefore any programmatic aspects.. gone..But it truly is simple its just a matter of tracking it down.. Check your list of Services.. and look in your error logs to see if anything has had issues that could be related..

DeepXW created a patch program a long time ago for each OS.. it can verify if they are or are not patched.... BUT DO NOT PATCH WITH IT.. ( UXTheme Patcher for that.. for your SP number.. the right patcher can tell you ahead of time if they are or are not patched but nothing fancy.. ) Anyway the program if its still around can verify the Checksum I think.. of the files.. when many of those started to fail in the patching department for Windows 7 and Vista.. and some were not necessary I think development was abandoned..

Now, I don't think they patched it for unsigned themes, but some program might did that. Do you know any tool that can verify if file is original or patched?

Yes, here's the UxTheme Patcher for Windows XP SP3. It can either patch or restore a Windows XP system.

http://www.softpedia.com/

get/System/OS-Enhancements/SP3-UxTheme-Patcher.shtml

Problem solved guys. I used MBAM to do a full scan. It found around 30 infected objects. After removing and reboot I started to get a message: "Windows Cannot Load the Locally Stored Profile". I followed instructions from Microsoft page and problem is solved. So, profile was somehow corrupted. Thanks guys for trying to help.

Cheers ;)

Wow.. that was unexpected...I was going to say to check for the default Luna msstsyles and accompanying files...

Good to know it's fixed regardless.. :)

Archived