Photo Gallery script?

RadioActive

I'm looking for a good Photo Gallery/Album script, preferably based on PHP/MySQL. The critiera I'm looking for:

- (VERY Important) The ability to enforce custom permission (per album AND per photo) such as "Private", "Public", "Password Protected", "Registered Users"...etc.

- Themes support.

- Relatively easy to install.

- Being open-source is a plus but not a must.

Thanks in advance.

PS: So far I found Coppermine and Gallery3 interesting, still checking out their detailed features to judge.

• Replies 7
  • Views 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats your server and versions.. setup in other words..

I don't have one yet, I'll get one based on the script's requirements, but as I said, I prefer something based on PHP/MySQL since they are pretty common in hosts.

Explain to me what you are trying to do and what your requirements are...

I mean.. as far as quick and easy is concerned.. I would say.. to install Plone from Plone.org.. install, run buildout.. and technically it will sort of do it for you.. but it will create thumbnails for all images in a repository... and then you can install Products.PloneSlimbox ... and you will be able to have a configurable slideshow of images.. see attachment for a screen shot.. I have redacted most data.. and the site heavily modded from default.. Private personal CMF/CMS.. Blog, Forum, and Live Chat.. but integrated... not native.. ecept blogging can be.. anyway.. you should sort of get an idea.. the blurred areas around Slimbox are actually the thumbnails which are automatically produced of a repostitory when viewed.. click on it and you get the Gradient fade.. and SlimBox/Lightbox..

Once you get going with Plone.. get used to it.. it's really easy on you.. and easy for others with accounts on your site to use...

Take a look at some of these. I know you mentioned you looked at Coppermine but I included it in the list of all the ones I know of. Check out their demo sites or try them all on your own to know what they are capable of because sometimes reading a small description does not help.

Coppermine http://www.coppermine-gallery.net/
Coppermine is a multi-purpose fully-featured and integrated web picture gallery script written in PHP using GD or ImageMagick as image library with a MySQL backend. CPG is so fully featured it's not enough to fully list them.

TinyWebGallery http://www.tinywebgallery.com/en/forum.php
TinyWebGallery is a free php based photo album / gallery that is very easy to install, extremely user friendly, does not need a database (uses xml files) but still has all the features you should expect and much more!
TinyWebGallery can be configured very fast for a professional gallery like a model agency but also for the pictures from the last ski holiday! Just check out the demos and the list of all functions.

Gallery http://gallery.menalto.com/
Galleryis an open source web based photo album organizer. Gallery gives you an intuitive way to blend photo management seamlessly into your own website whether you're running a small personal site or a large community site. Serving millions worldwide, the Gallery project is the most widely used system of its kind.

LinPHA http://linpha.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php
LinPHA is an easy to use, multilingual, flexible photo/image archive/album/gallery written in PHP. It uses a SQL database (MySQL/PostgreSQL/SQLite) to store information about your pictures. It comes with a HTML-based installer, so you don't need experience in setting up SQL databases. Thumbnails are created as needed and stored in the SQL DB. It features complete user management, zip-album downloads, top ten statistics, hidden albums, web filemanager with upload capabilities, watermarks, printing, guestbook and much more.

Piwigo http://piwigo.org/
Piwigo is a photo gallery software for the web, built by an active community of users and developers. Extensions make Piwigo easily customizable. Icing on the cake, Piwigo is free and opensource.

Pixelpost http://www.pixelpost.org/
Pixelpost, a small photoblog application that's a no-brainer to set up and use. It's perfect for anyone wishing to regularly post their photos on the web like a blog.

ZenPhoto http://www.zenphoto.org/
Zenphoto is an answer to lots of calls for an online gallery solution that just makes sense. After years of bloated software that does everything and your dishes, zenphoto just shows your photos, simply. It's got all the functionality and features you need, and nothing you don't.

phpAlbum http://www.phpalbum.net/
phpAlbum is an Open Source PHP script which allows you to create your personal Photo Album / Gallery in just a seconds. All you need is a web space with FTP access. No database is needed. After a few clicks you are ready to upload your photos, create new directories /galleries, and use your photo album.

Shutter http://shutter.tenfourzero.net/
Shutter allows you to store and share your photos in an unlimited number of albums with ease of control.

4images http://www.4homepages.de/
4imagesis as a web based PHP and MySQL for displaying images on the Internet. 4images can be configured through an administration area. 4images supports apart from the typical image formats like JPG, GIF and PNG, other data formats. Furthermore 4images includes a template system to modify the design of the gallery. An external language file allows for easy translation into other languages.

Explain to me what you are trying to do and what your requirements are...

I mean.. as far as quick and easy is concerned.. I would say.. to install Plone from Plone.org.. install, run buildout.. and technically it will sort of do it for you.. but it will create thumbnails for all images in a repository... and then you can install Products.PloneSlimbox ... and you will be able to have a configurable slideshow of images.. see attachment for a screen shot.. I have redacted most data.. and the site heavily modded from default.. Private personal CMF/CMS.. Blog, Forum, and Live Chat.. but integrated... not native.. ecept blogging can be.. anyway.. you should sort of get an idea.. the blurred areas around Slimbox are actually the thumbnails which are automatically produced of a repostitory when viewed.. click on it and you get the Gradient fade.. and SlimBox/Lightbox..

Once you get going with Plone.. get used to it.. it's really easy on you.. and easy for others with accounts on your site to use...

Thanks, but I'm not looking for a CMS, I'm looking for a script dedicated to photo gallery.

Perhaps I should explain what I'm trying to achieve to avoid confusion; at first I wanted a place to store my personal photo collection (not wallpapers), so I started checking out a couple of services most of which sucked big time and pretty much all require payment to make full use of their features.

Picasa Web Albums: Extremely easy to use and somewhat cheap but offers simple permissions (no per-photo permissions).

Flickr: Offers good set of permissions but I just couldn't get myself to like it's interface, I found it confusing if not irritating.

Webshots: Pretty similar to Picasa Web Albums.

Anyways, I wasn't satisfied with anything, so someone suggested I'd get a web host and use photo gallery script. Which sounds like a good idea, because now I'm thinking of making it a family gallery so all my family can upload their photos on it. But I need a script that offer flexible permissions. In other words; guest can see limited amount of photos, and members get to see more but not everybody should see all photo obviously.

Take a look at some of these. I know you mentioned you looked at Coppermine but I included it in the list of all the ones I know of. Check out their demo sites or try them all on your own to know what they are capable of because sometimes reading a small description does not help.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

But I need a script that offer flexible permissions. In other words; guest can see limited amount of photos, and members get to see more but not everybody should see all photo obviously.

That and saying you would install whatever you would need.. plus the absence or need for SQL or PHP.. with Plone was why I suggested a CMF... Plus if you ever wanted an intro page or anything else it would already be there.. in place ready..

Guess.. I misunderstood.. LeetPirate always has some excellent suggestions.. and offers great help, more experienced in this area than I am.. in good hands.. :thumbsup:

hehe to be honest I did not verify the availability of his user permissions requirement. I had a feeling the permissions part would require something more advanced like a CMS as you say but I want him to check those out first before turning to CMS. Reason being that I did not research in detail to see if any on my list actually supports user groups and I'm hoping one of them would have that feature along with everything else he wants.

If I had to build the photo gallery site though I would just use Joomla as it has become my all in one favourite CMS that does everything, in your case you like to use Plone. Plone 4 looks very amazing I might add, they did some wonderful things with the content editor, I don't know why they don't offer a demo site though.

Lohengrin: If you need help selecting a good web host we can assist you. Most important advice is to stay away from hosts that offer unlimited resources, those things are all tricks as things like infinite and unlimited cannot be materialised, they are just tricks and the limitations are in the terms of service document hidden away to screw you over at some later date.

Archived