Amd Phenom II X6 1090T - Hexa Core Cpu Review

AshTheGamer

Welcome to my review topic of the latest AMD CPU the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Hexa Core CPU. This is a 6core CPU running at 3.2Ghz Stock, 6MB L3 Cache + 3MB L2 = 9MB Total Cache. The CPU is 125W CPU with it also being AM3 socket. The CPU comes with Turbo core software overclocking the CPU to 3.66Ghz when you most need the performance and increase on the fly!

Here are some 3DMark Vantage CPU Scores

Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2Ghz - 16460

Phenom II x6 1090T OC @4Ghz - 20692

Some comparison to other CPU'S...

Phenom II X4 965 @3.4Ghz - 11376

Intel Core i5 750 [email protected] - 15243

Intel Core i7 920 2.6Ghz - 16697

Intel Core i7 860 2.6Ghz - 17905

The CPU performs really well in games such as Crysis and Modern Warefare 2 however when overclcoking the CPU to 4.0Ghz nothing can touch the CPU it performs so well.

I would recommend this over the i7 x6 due to the fact is being very well priced yet giving you plenty of performance as an i7 can the only advantage with the i7 would be it has more Virtual Cores than the AMD X6.

It really is up to you in which you choose on this.

If you are thinking of getting one may I suggest you use the Asus Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard for the best performance!

I hope you enjoyed my review, comments are appropriated.

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- the motherboard supports USB 3 and SATA 3, not the CPU (Edit: mara posted while I was writing this)

- i7 technology is way more performant compared to the new Phenoms II X6, or any other consumer PC CPU. Even in it's 4 core, 2.6 GHz variant it's sometimes faster than the 6 core 3.2 GHz AMD, which is OK only from the price/performance perspective. However, if you don't render things like crazy there's no point in buying either 6 core CPUs, a 4 core is more than enough as of now. I admit though, I would get one x6 for Premiere/After FX/AME.

I wish AMD will do something to challenge Intel supremacy at the top, so we can have even better prices, but I'm not very optimistic, since they didn't even make the step to 32 nm. Maybe in 2011.

- the motherboard supports USB 3 and SATA 3, not the CPU (Edit: mara posted while I was writing this)

- i7 technology is way more performant compared to the new Phenoms II X6, or any other consumer PC CPU. Even in it's 4 core, 2.6 GHz variant it's sometimes faster than the 6 core 3.2 GHz AMD, which is OK only from the price/performance perspective. However, if you don't render things like crazy there's no point in buying either 6 core CPUs, a 4 core is more than enough as of now. I admit though, I would get one x6 for Premiere/After FX/AME.

I wish AMD will do something to challenge Intel supremacy at the top, so we can have even better prices, but I'm not very optimistic, since they didn't even make the step to 32 nm. Maybe in 2011.

I have to disagree, the new hex cored i7 costs almost 300% more than the AMD counterpart, and although it does offer better performance but the difference is NOT worth 300% extra cash! So, from a cost-to-benefit-ratio IMHO the new hex cored i7 is not practical.

Personally, I prefer the i5 since it offers more bang-for-the-buck, but that's just me.

Hello Lohengrin,

I said:

the 6 core 3.2 GHz AMD, which is OK only from the price/performance perspective

meaning I agree that the AMD is better from a price/performance ratio point of view. So we share the same opinion. It's tradition for Intel to price it's best consumer CPU at 1.000$, but there are many Intel alternatives in the 200-500$ price bracket, like the powerful i5 processors. I assume you were talking about the i700 series, although the dual cores are also very nice.

I wouldn't buy a i7 980 only if I'd be a millionaire. The 6 core CPUs are useless for now for the majority of the people, and are only good for number crunching and media creation, like rendering from Maya and 3dsmax and working with Adobe Media Encoder (that encodes the Premiere and AfterFX projects primarily). But even rendering is switching slowly from the CPU to the GPU...

Archived