Foobar2000 but m4a

anemones2

Are there any small programs, that can play m4a?

I want to replace win-amp, or maybe a simple Codec for WMP11 that doesn't clutter the computer up?

Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have tried several different media players and none of them playback m4a files like Winamp.

On the other media players the sound is choppy, skips or hangs. Basically sounds like crap.

If Winamp is too large or heavy on your system then try Winamp Lite . It only has the needed features to play audio and video files with codecs included.

All of the bloat is removed a little less than half the size of Winamp full version.

Thanks.:D

Hm, well thank you, I will try the foobar add in and If I dislike the sound quality, I will just convert my m4a to Mp3.

Win-amp is fine and has good skins, I just need one program for everything, and like my WMP 11

and have grown to dislike win-amp.

Also is there a last.fm Plug-in for Foobar2000?

Thanks, feel like giving another Audio player a try.

Music match jukebox I had for a while, but it costs money, and isn't very compatible with other things.

~ Anemone

Foobar is by far the most advanced and customizable (and free) player as of now. It lacks the coloured GUI and modern buttons and graphics, but if you need to listen to music, that's the way to go. It can also transcode your m4a to mp3 if you install the codecs. Same goes for WMP11, it should work if you install the right codecs.

@ anemones2:

I don't use WMP. But I use the Nero AAC Codec for m4a (AAC) files in foobar2000.

This would be better than foo_input_alac from foobar site?

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_alac

foo_input_alac, as it name suggests, is only for input (i.e. decoding). I mentioned the Nero AAC codec because it codes (output) and decodes (input). If you don't need to create m4a (AAC) files, then just use foo_input_alac to play your m4a files.

@ anemones2:

I don't use WMP. But I use the Nero AAC Codec for m4a (AAC) files in foobar2000.

This would be better than foo_input_alac from foobar site?

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_alac

foo_input_alac, as it name suggests, is only for input (i.e. decoding). I mentioned the Nero AAC codec because it codes (output) and decodes (input). If you don't need to create m4a (AAC) files, then just use foo_input_alac to play your m4a files.

Ah thanks, all i want it to not have to convert them, I prefer MP3

Sorry to ask here, but I added cd write function to components folder.

but it doesn't do anything, when I select all and writecd function, it links to a windows update?

Any way I can get around this? in Foobar2000, thanks

but it doesn't do anything, when I select all and writecd function, it links to a windows update?

What Operating System are you using? For Windows XP and Vista SP0 you need the IMAPIv2 redistributable package.

More info and download link: Audio CD Writer for foobar2000

What Operating System are you using? For Windows XP and Vista SP0 you need the IMAPIv2 redistributable package.

More info and download link: Audio CD Writer for foobar2000

Xp. home edition. Will it fritz my usb/externals?

"Known issues

Optical devices that do not correctly implement the optical device standard may not work after you install this update. This includes virtual devices. "

Also I have no idea which to get http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=63ab51ea-99c9-45c0-980a-c556746fcf05&displaylang=en

they are all vista or xp x86

SmartCard_SRV2008_x64.msu ?

I don't need blu-ray suppport.

Wait i'm on x86 anyway, . _o haha

Yes, IMAPI is what you need to download. Since you're running Windows XP x86 you would need to download: IMAPI_XP_SRV2003_x86.exe (1.3MB). I opened up this file with WinRAR, but no documentation is provided within the EXE file.

The foobar2000 documentation for the Audio CD Writer (foo burninate) says you need the IMAPIv2 redistributable package.

Yes, the "Known Issues" section definitely scares me too.

I use Burrrn to burn my audio CDs. It's a great program that I've been using for years and it supports CD-TEXT too.

Burrrn

Burn audio CDs the easy way!

Burrrn is a little tool for creating audio CDs with CD-Text from various audio files.

Supported formats are: wav, mp3, mpc, ogg, aac, mp4, ape, flac, ofr, wv, tta, m3u, pls and fpl playlists and cue sheets. You can also burn EAC’s noncompliant image + cue sheets! Burrrn can read all types of tags from all these formats (including ape tags in mp3). Burrrn uses cdrdao.exe for burning.

Yes, IMAPI is what you need to download. Since you're running Windows XP x86 you would need to download: IMAPI_XP_SRV2003_x86.exe (1.3MB). I opened up this file with WinRAR, but no documentation is provided within the EXE file.

The foobar2000 documentation for the Audio CD Writer (foo burninate) says you need the IMAPIv2 redistributable package.

Yes, the "Known Issues" section definitely scares me too.

I use Burrrn to burn my audio CDs. It's a great program that I've been using for years and it supports CD-TEXT too.

Thanks so much, you are a very helpful fellow.

I have imgburn.

It is relatively sexy. i'm just being silly.

And stuborn.

Write cd is much more attractive to me than burrrrning what I love. I'm like that sometimes . hah!

foobar2000 is lovely, i'd like to make a cd via it without molesting my system.

And seeking out each track and moving it to a folder and or, burn program is far less appealing.

'- ' I'm a hobbledehoy

@anemones2: You are most welcome. :)

Yes, I use ImgBurn too for burning data CDs and data DVDs. But I love Burrrn for burning audio CDs. With Burrrn you can just drag your playlist .M3U file or your Cue sheet .CUE file to Burrrn and then Burrrn will know all the tracks. So you don't have to select individual tracks if you have either a .M3U or .CUE file.

I know that ImgBurn provided .CUE file support for audio files a couple of years ago, and that they finally supported M3U files over a year ago, but I haven't tried ImgBurn yet with these new features. Next time I burn an audio CD I'll try ImgBurn to see how it compares with Burrrn. :)

@anemones2: You are most welcome. :)

Yes, I use ImgBurn too for burning data CDs and data DVDs. But I love Burrrn for burning audio CDs. With Burrrn you can just drag your playlist .M3U file or your Cue sheet .CUE file to Burrrn and then Burrrn will know all the tracks. So you don't have to select individual tracks if you have either a .M3U or .CUE file.

I know that ImgBurn provided .CUE file support for audio files a couple of years ago, and that they finally supported M3U files over a year ago, but I haven't tried ImgBurn yet with these new features. Next time I burn an audio CD I'll try ImgBurn to see how it compares with Burrrn. :)

Will there be an uninstall for IMAPI update.

Don't like windows updates much.

Archived