1st Laptop

Josh

Hi Guys,

I would like to seek assistance in your views / ratings re: my 1st laptop. I'm not quite knowledgeable on the laptop specifications. I would like to know if it can handle some hardcore games and applications and if it is a good laptop. Specs listed below:

1. Intel® Core™ i5-460M Processor ( 2.53GHz 1066MHz 3MB )

2. Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64

3. NVIDIA GeForce 310M 1GB

4. 4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz

5. 15.6" HD LED Glare 1366x768

6. 500GB 5400

7. 6 Cell Lithium-Ion

8. Intel Wireless Wi-Fi Link 1000

9. Bluetooth Version 2.1 + EDR

Thanks in advance! :)

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The specs looks pretty decent ... sure it can handle hardcore games and apps .... for how much did you get for?

The specs looks pretty decent ... sure it can handle hardcore games and apps .... for how much did you get for?

Thanks Nivrid (kabayan :) )

Im not quite sure how much they've got it since it was on a sale in Dubai. It has a free 500gb external hard drive. Lenovo z560. Anyway, is lenovo a good laptop? thanks!

Yeah dude Lenovo is one of the best brands ... anyway goodluck with your new lappie ... just stay away from viruses ok :lol:

Lenovo is good make, there ae many other good makes, but on e bad one (not that necessarily components are bad) but stay well clear of Gateway

I'd reconsider the video card for 'hardcore gaming':

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-310M.22439.0.html

GT330 or even higher would be a better pick ;)

(How much money are you looking to spend? Also is there some online shop you're planning on buying from (or is there some online shop which resembles the prices in your area)?)

If you could somehow get the Intel CPU with an AMD GPU you would be fine. nvidia is overpriced, under-performing, too power hungry so will kill your battery, outputs too much heat so it will reduce the lifespan of your battery and fry your balls. Due to bribes and payoffs it is hard to find a laptop with AMD GPU and Intel CPU. The Nvidia 330M is a rebranded old 220M so there is no support for DX11. I should really say the entire mobile 300 series is rebranded old stocks of mobile 200 series cards, nvidia does that so you will think it's new. If you want to stick with nvidia then look for something from the 400 series, the 420M is more powerful than the 330M so that's a good place to start.

• 4 weeks later...

That should be more than adequate initially, if ya want a top end laptop for games try an alienware but they do cost.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd reconsider the video card for 'hardcore gaming':

http://www.notebookc...0M.22439.0.html

GT330 or even higher would be a better pick ;)

(How much money are you looking to spend? Also is there some online shop you're planning on buying from (or is there some online shop which resembles the prices in your area)?)

Agreed. The 310 would probably run games well enough but I doubt you'll be able to use high quality settings on it on modern games.

If your use will mainly be for gaming I suggest you concentrate on finding the best possible GPU even if you have to lower on some other areas.

Archived