Computer Virus

Rudeboy2025

Rudeboy2025

My friend was checking email on my computer and got an email from his university so he decided to downlaod the attachment and turns out it was a freaking virus. That was about a week ago. I haven't relaly used that comp. Seems that I can't open the Task Manager and can't open Mcafee. So should I downlaod a new antivirus or use a avg or something which allows to scan while you are on the website? Any help will be appreciated.

• Replies 16
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could always try rebooting into Safe Mode and seeing if you can access your AV from there.

Rudeboy2025

Tried doing it in safe mode but didn't work. Whats a hijack this! log?

use Antivirus Boot Disk

most antivirus programs allow u to create 1 so create it from a good system and then use that disk to boot on the infected system...

But extract it to a directory like d:\hjt . Dont run it from your desktop  :P

Thx for the tip ;)

Rudeboy2025

Thanx for the suggestions, I'll post the log once I use the program on the infected computer.

• 1 month later...
Rudeboy2025

I have my computer packed up so I never got the chance to do the hijack this thing but i had an idea. Would System Restore work?

if you feel like losing all the data between now and then (and i mean ALL) :lol:

better go get some CDRs ;)

• Administrator

Incorrect nsane.

System restore will ONLY restore EXECUTABLE files, not others.

But in this case rudeboy.... you havent a chance as most viruses will stop system restore from working.

Rudeboy2025

I do know after reading articles that this virus stops your antivirus program from working. I have no clue what to do but after I have comp unpacked (which won't be soon) I wil try crap on it.

Incorrect nsane.

System restore will ONLY restore EXECUTABLE files, not others.

But in this case rudeboy.... you havent a chance as most viruses will stop system restore from working.

Incorrect Lite.

System restore will ONLY restore Registry entries, and not touch any files at all....

After the System restore, u would find all the files on ur system...just that some applications would not work (the ones installed after the restore point) as they do not have any resistry entry....

Systsem restore will serve no purpose for any virus iss.....

Clean reinstall is the best way...

• Administrator

@zeus

Heres some more details:

What's Restored:

Registry

Profiles (local only—roaming user profiles not impacted by restore)

COM+ DB

WFP.dll cache

WMI DB

IIS Metabase

Files with extensions listed in the portion of the Monitored File Extensions list in the System Restore section of the Platform SDK

Not Restored:

DRM settings

SAM hives (does not restore passwords)

WPA settings (Windows authentication information is not restored)

Specific directories/files listed in the Monitored File Extensions list in the System Restore section of the Platform SDK

Any file with an extension not listed as in the Monitored File Extensions list in the System Restore section of the Platform SDK

Items listed in both Filesnottobackup and KeysnottoRestore (hklm->system->controlset001->control->backuprestore->filesnottobackup and keysnottorestore)

User-created data stored in the user profile

Contents of redirected folders

Monitored File Extensions:

See here (to long to list here)

All info comes direct from MSDN

Peace out.... :lol:

@rudeboy, do you have the name of the virus?

Rudeboy2025

@Lite: I don't but I'll try to find it out. In an article I read about this article. It prevents Antivirus programs from working. And on my comp when I last tried it it also prevented me from using CTRL+ALT+DELETE.

I was looking through my CD's and I found Norton Antivirus Pro - 2004 on a CD. Wondering if it would work to get rid of the virus or it would prevent that from working too.

• Administrator

You should be able to run online malware scanners and/or some alternate on-demand scanners.

Archived