Sloooow Laptop

csmdew

Trying to help out a friend with a really slow dell inspiron 1000 laptop. Have run AV, malwarebytes, defrag, chkdsk,(about all security checks i can think of) and checked to see that the unit has max ram that can be installed. This unit moves slower than a commodor 64 thats trying to run 10 programs at one time, I mean it is slow. Also ot has been slow for long time so doing a restore only can go back to aug 5 and this won't solve the problem. Any suggestions on what I should try now, thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do sfc scannow ... if doesn't work ... reformat and reinstall OS.

Uhm... I there is QUITE A BIT more things you need to check besides infection..

First I need to know the OS, System Spec ( including upgrades )which I may look up.. and also you should check to see if it has been properly updated through Microsoft Update..

BTW in case you don't know... Everest Ultimate will get mot of the stuff you need... easily.. information wise..

Post a HiJackThis! Log..

What I have found: I have a disk image with all the usual configurations done. So if it looks like a lot of work, back up files, format, image, restore files. Depending on the amount of files, it could take as little as 45min. then you KNOW your good to go.

I , myself are like most of u guys in that when a large monkey jumps into my pc I just format and reload. Probably gonna talk this person into doing the same for this monster. Tried sfc scannow but it did not run (don't know why) but have the laptop at my house now so can spend more time working on it and will try again. Its a 2.2 ghz w/xp home on it. This laptop can only load 512 mb ram according to dell and don't have anymore laying around to test on it; will have to ck the updates on it but know sp3 is installed. Most times I do the repair/updates at my house due to there slow connection to internet but she was gone all summer and when came back the laptop was like this. Wll check back in this afternoon or evening and let u know what the sfc scannow does and post a hijackthis file, thanks.

I , myself are like most of u guys in that when a large monkey jumps into my pc I just format and reload. Probably gonna talk this person into doing the same for this monster. Tried sfc scannow but it did not run (don't know why) but have the laptop at my house now so can spend more time working on it and will try again. Its a 2.2 ghz w/xp home on it. This laptop can only load 512 mb ram according to dell and don't have anymore laying around to test on it; will have to ck the updates on it but know sp3 is installed. Most times I do the repair/updates at my house due to there slow connection to internet but she was gone all summer and when came back the laptop was like this. Wll check back in this afternoon or evening and let u know what the sfc scannow does and post a hijackthis file, thanks.

The problem with SFC is that the laptop came with a version of the OS which did not included the most recent service pack.. therefore when it tries to use the files for replacement/match.. There are none where indicated in the registry... I found something about this online by searching awhile back.. It can be a simple fix.. by locating and verifying that this is the problem and changing a few items in the registry for the machine.. In the long run .. its a good thing..

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic138023.html - The part not covered in that thread is where to find most SP Files.. and what to put into that entry precisely.. So I will have to keep looking..

Also as another note.. you can't really expect much out of this one.. but there are some things we can do.. if they haven't already been done.. Will be waiting for the HiJack This!... I bet she missed a lot of stuff during the summer..

EDIT: Okay here is the info you need to proceed..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222473/ Straight from MS..

EDIT2: Also .. I would see how your system reacts to a Disk Check.. Possibly do a scan with a HD Health software for the drive type.. maybe even see if SMART can tell you anything... I have seen systems do this before.. with errors on the drive.. The older the drive the more likely...regardless of use..

Okay... so I find a lot wrong with the configuration especially with the RAM and processing power of this machine.. The following is my notation for your log file.. ( see below ) with some suggestions ( at the end of each line ) on some changes and upgrades along with notation for removing items which should not be there, are unnecessary to have proper operation.. or are otherwise problematic.. and/or have huge resource consumption compared to others..I suggest uninstalling first.. and then removing all directories and related files.. before removing parts of them with other tools.. ( Might be a good idea to do some housekeeping with the programs too.. so that overall HD size is smaller which can allow the majority of the files on the outside of the disk.. squeezing as much out as possible.. ( with Ultimate Defrag 3 )

My BEST guess.. is that if you go through and clean this stuff out.. Change the Security Suite.. Configure Malwarebytes as a second opinion scanner.. or switch to Hitman Pro.. do a Disk Cleanup...Clean Junk Files.. and Privacy Cleanup...Defrag the drive...Clean and Defrag the registry... and possibly alter a few settings in System Performance.. ( of visual aspects and effects ).. You will probably put the new back into the machine... maybe even faster than it was when it was new... Some of these things are needed.. Like the Apoint related to the mouse pad.. and one of the other ones.. for the system to operate.. but there are others which are not needed and set in memory sucking up resources... The Printer for example.. most have Plug and Play ability and do not need extra programs or services..) .. keeping the performance down.. Not to mention that during use.. the system has a TON of stuff in the way.. Soooo... clearing it up.. should get it back as desired.. I also seen that Google Updater is in your computer.. This thing is like a frakin disease... You have to uninstall, then trace down all of the locations the remnants reside in to remove it.. ( especially if you have multiple applications from Google ) and you should.. Just with that one change, see a jump in performance... ESPECIALLY with the system specs you give.. you can keep all of the ( Google ) programs.. but every time you update them.. you will have to remove the Updater.. Just something to remember or you keep going in this circle..

I would advise her about it.. or perform these things.. and I would also recommend using AVIRA, NIS, or ESS.. for your security suite.. they are good on resources.. ( can help with the config for ESS if need be ) ..and all rank much higher for protection.. and like ESS.. only runs like two services to do EVERYTHING.. not have 12 active running processes.. at once.. nor will you need to supplement with yet another form of full-time protection like MalwareBytes, but can use as a second opinion scanner.. not actively running during startup or as a service..

Anyway I hope this helps and you may want to copy this out into a text file so you can read all of it.. or w/e.. Good Luck!!! :)

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgchsvx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgrsx.exe

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Identity Protection\Agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe - AVG is not the best Free option out there.. and is not as efficient as others on system resources.. Would suggest an adjustment here.

C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe - Could be removed from startup, and make sure it is up to date with 6u22..Adjust Settings within Control Applet..
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe - Part of Sonic DVD Burning - Many Problems reported...and incompatibilities.. would suggest disabling and removing only necessary for Drive Letter support.. Get a different software..
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe - Modem could be uninstalled... if not ever used..
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe - Woudl suggest this as second opinion scanner like Hitman Pro.. should not be running all of the time.. and for new securty suite to have this protection in place.
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 922\dlbtbmgr.exe - Is this necessary for proper printer support? if not should be removed.

C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 922\dlbtbmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe - Running on Startup??.. should be possibly updated and signed into and then remove to start on boot.. could also be registered as a service.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\sistray.exe - This is not necessary to have running..
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgfws9.exe - & services ths far Just for crappy low level protection from AVG.. IMO..???
C:\Program Files\Canon\IJPLM\IJPLMSVC.EXE - Printer or Camera? it is needed... UNLESS you don't have the hardware anymore.. soo..
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe - 2 services for this..

C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe - This is not necessary and Wireless Networks can be managed and their settings by using the default Wireless Zero Configuration from MS.. which runs anyway..
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe - This can also be removed..
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgam.exe

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgnsx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Identity Protection\agent\bin\avgidsmonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe - Okay a total of 12 services related to AVG..
E:\HijackThis.exe - :o

R3 - URLSearchHook: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll - Not really necessary..

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll - Get another PDF Viewer.. Security Vulnerability OFTEN and isn't as efficient as it could be..Remove
O2 - BHO: AskBar BHO - {201f27d4-3704-41d6-89c1-aa35e39143ed} - C:\Program Files\AskBarDis\bar\bin\askBar.dll - Remove
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgssie.dll -Not necessary
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll - Really overdoing it though it can help.. not necessary..
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll - installed with Sonic Record now.. can be removed..
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll -Not necessary
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll - Please remove
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.6.5612.1312\swg.dll - Remove

O3 - Toolbar: Ask Toolbar - {3041d03e-fd4b-44e0-b742-2d9b88305f98} - C:\Program Files\AskBarDis\bar\bin\askBar.dll - Remove
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll - Remove
O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll - Remove

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe - This will be removed when you address the settings improve startup and free up mem..
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe - Shoudl be removed
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe - Modem that could be uninstalled..along with any software related to it..
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe" /starttray - Remove from startup..
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG9_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe - Said my thing about this..
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell Photo AIO Printer 922] "C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 922\dlbtbmgr.exe" - Should look into this one..about being able to remove or disable..

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background - This should not be in startup.. unless its REALLY needed..
O4 - Global Startup: Utility Tray.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\sistray.exe - Not needed..

This section I would go through with Something like Windows XP Manager by Yamicsoft and check these entries for validity.. and remove not relative dead entries and items which should not be used or there to begin with.. all the way through section 16 I have questions about it...some may be remove with other changes but a few I don't think need to be touched.. yet I don't see what they pertain to at all..

O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML - REMOVE

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O16 - DPF: {4A3CF76B-EC7A-405D-A67D-8DC6B52AB35B} (QDiagAOLCCUpdateObj Class) - http://aolcc.aol.com/computercheckup/qdiagcc.cab - Remove
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1105131554917 - WTH are these two for..
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1173738831848
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {CF40ACC5-E1BB-4AFF-AC72-04C2F616BCA7} (get_atlcom Class) - http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/nos/gp.cab

O18 - Protocol: avgsecuritytoolbar - {F2DDE6B2-9684-4A55-86D4-E255E237B77C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll - Shoudl remove when you swap out Security Suites..

O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgpp.dll

O23 - Service: AVG Security Toolbar Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\ToolbarBroker.exe - Should be gone
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (avg9emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgemc.exe - Should be gone
O23 - Service: AVG WatchDog (avg9wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe - Should be gone
O23 - Service: AVG Firewall (avgfws9) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgfws9.exe - Should be gone
O23 - Service: AVG9IDSAgent (AVGIDSAgent) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Identity Protection\Agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe - Should be gone

O23 - Service: getPlus(R) Helper - NOS Microsystems Ltd. - C:\Program Files\NOS\bin\getPlus_HelperSvc.exe - This is not needed..
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe - Man this definitely need to go.. keep the programs but rid this system of all files relative to the updater.. may can atest to this..
O23 - Service: Inkjet Printer/Scanner Extended Survey Program (IJPLMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Canon\IJPLM\IJPLMSVC.EXE - Mentioned asking her about thi hardware..
O23 - Service: MBAMService - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe - Shoudln't really be needed all of the time.. after or with a secuirty Suite..
O23 - Service: WLTRYSVC - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe - Broadcaom Modem stuff that can and should be removed..

If its not there.. there should not be a reason to address it ... I took out most of the other stuff which is normal..I would also look at the services.. in XP and see if there may be a few that can be optimized to free up even more ...

Thanks have already started to remove some of this junk (said her kids put on it) and will make some changes to it as well. After the scannow and ccleaner runs it has gotten somewhat faster, thanks. Will let u know how it goes. Can u put this back in a rar file, having trouble printing it from site(can't get all info). thanks

Actually you can open Notepad ( the exact same thing I am going to do.. ) then copy everything in that window... Then paste it into a new document.. OR actually you may want to use worpad.. because it can wrap text and may be easier that scrolling back and forth on long lines.. Anyways..

Okay same as before.. with all the stuff I said before hand.. except your system seems to be a little better than that one... still found a few things.. with notations..

And usually reformatting and reinstall is not going to be necessary.. unless you have a disease of an infection in your system.. but I did find like two things.. that were questionable and some changes that will free up your system some.. same as I insttrusted before.. change configuration, then disk cleanup and all the rest .. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I'll knock this stuff out and see what I have left.

:thumbsup:

U suggest to use different pdf viewer, what would u suggest as being best/free, thanks.

Foxit or Nitro.. I use Foxit Phantom personally.. a few others here use Nitro..

Foxit Reader is free and is something you can get right off their site... I would see how it goes and see if you actually need the plugin or not for FF, if that is the browser you use.. It integrates and runs inside a tab.. download it through updates or at the site as well..

• Administrator

I'll recommend Nitro Free PDF Reader. It's still in beta but it's faster than Foxit, has no Ask toolbar during installation crap and it can also edit/make PDFs.

I'll recommend Nitro Free PDF Reader. It's still in beta but it's faster than Foxit, has no Ask toolbar during installation crap and it can also edit/make PDFs.

Thanks to both of u for recommendation.

Archived