Windows won't start, how do I save my files?

kallejosef

Hey guys.

When I try to start windows i get bluescreen everytime <_< . And I really need the files on my HDD. How do I get them? I've searched a bit on google and seen several rescue CD's. But i dont know if they work and who to trust. Can you guys please recommend something.

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have alos come across this situation. Mostly caused by virus or some malware BSOD appears every time you boot your system.

Boot using any Linux or other OS Lice CD. That should solve your problem. Moreover you only need to backup important files form Windows Partition. You can reinstall Windows afterward.

Use a LiveCD or Hirens boot CD to access to your HDD, rescue information and then format the HDD.

Use a LiveCD or Hirens boot CD to access to your HDD, rescue information and then format the HDD.

this...........

You should try Hiren's BootCD and use BlueScreenView in it.

EDIT:

Did you try safe mode?

Yeh.. I tried safe mode. I Was going to try use the windows xp cd to repair windows. But I've managed to fumble it away. :frusty:

Anyway, Hirens-bootcd it is... :)

• Administrator

BlueScreenView will only show you the thing that's causing the BSOD. But Hiren's BootCD has lots of tools that will help you get your data if anything else isn't possible atm. :)

I will back that up as well.. Hiren's Boot CD.. and you can use an External to grab your files from the drive with one of the programs in MiniXP...( Backup section ).. should be fairly quick... Also .. how are you going to reinstall without your XP disc? Just curious..

I will back that up as well.. Hiren's Boot CD.. and you can use an External to grab your files from the drive with one of the programs in MiniXP...( Backup section ).. should be fairly quick... Also .. how are you going to reinstall without your XP disc? Just curious..

I'm going to install win7... or maybe ubuntu.. I'm not sure yet. :)

ubuntu is a bit heavy...especially for a boot cd used for back up.

go with light weight distros such as puppy linux, slitaz, or DSL

• Administrator

Ubuntu isn't heavy at all. But it isn't as lite as others specially made to be lite. :)

But Ubuntu does have a ability to run and work on most of the systems. ^_^

BartPE is good for some things.. but I think Hirens has a lot more for MiniXP .. The icon in the system tray has most of it.. but much better really.. Glad things have improved in fact.. days of all sorts of methods in combination with BartPE are over... for me.. I still keep the disc though..

BartPE is good for some things.. but I think Hirens has a lot more for MiniXP .. The icon in the system tray has most of it.. but much better really.. Glad things have improved in fact.. days of all sorts of methods in combination with BartPE are over... for me.. I still keep the disc though..

hiren has minixp in now? lol, i gotta get a new version then. the one i have still has mini98 which wouldn't work properly with ahci setups so i didn't recommend it.

hiren's bootcd is great, been using it for years. :clap:

• Administrator

Hiren's been having miniXP from the time I know about it. :rolleyes:

Hiren's been having miniXP from the time I know about it. :rolleyes:

hmm.. i have 10.1 and it actually seems to have xp..! (just read the included changelog) lol, but i don't recall seeing it in the menu.

anyway i still come across discs with version 7.x and below when i'm exploring the mess that i have gathered over years. (za burened discks? thei being evarywhare! :fear:)

Archived