IE7 vs Firefox 2.0 vs Opera 9.20

Zeus_Hunt

Looking for a better, free browser has been restricted for many years. The market did not offer too many choices and Internet Explorer was by far the easiest way to go. However, its mischiefs soon echoed on our computers and we were compelled to strap it with a myriad of applications designed to reject the nasties and alert us upon intrusion.

After year 2000, the viable alternatives for the average user were either the faulty Internet Explorer from Microsoft or the ad-ware filled Opera from Opera Software. And, as the attacks towards the market share "owner" at the time (IE6) intensified, Mozilla Foundation was created and gave us hope again. The start was timid and from one year to another people did not know what to call the new browser from Mozilla: Phoenix or Firebird? The issue settled once the publishers of the application decided to register a trademark for the name Firefox.

Baptized thrice, Firefox soon became an appealing alternative to the adware in Opera and the hacker attacks via IE. And so, the battle of the web browsers begins. The undisputed leader up to now in what concerns the market share is Internet Explorer. But Firefox and Opera are soon going to tip the balance in their favor a little.

I proceeded to testing all three of them, just to see which one integrates better on Vista and what may be the problems running them on the latest OS released by Microsoft. The tests were few and from the average user's perspective. I left the bias and my preferences for web surfing aside and judged the results as objectively as possible.

After Lots of Testing which can be found Here.

Bottom Line:

Speed over security, vice-versa or a compromise between the two?

All of them excelled at some tests and all of them had minor difficulties at other tests. However, I can't say for sure which of them is the best as there isn't any.

Based on my testing, IE7 has the best anti-phishing protection but fails in blocking some pop-ups. However, ActiveX is great and prompts you whenever there is some ActiveX component to download. Microsoft's browser proved in many cases that it is the slowest of the three.

Its features may not be as flexible as in Opera or Firefox, but you have to agree that it is a quantum leap from version 6 SP2. The Quick Tabs option similar to Opera's Speed Dial is simply making tabbed browsing a pleasure.

Opera is the fastest of all. The speed score is a proof that this application is using some kind of super-code for javascript. The security is pretty tight and it almost aligned to the other two. The interface is just gorgeous and the functionality is at abnormal (read above normal) standards.

Its main advantage is speed, as in almost all other categories it ranked third.

Firefox was the "middle" application in the tests. It never ranked first and never ranked last. Speed, pop-up blocking, security, resources, it always was between the two. The interface has never been greater and despite the multiple attacks that made the developer release a series of vulnerability patches it managed to be constant during the tests.

So, if you want security over speed, go with IE7. If speed is what you need and do not care much of the security of the browsing, then choose Opera. And if you are looking for a middle solution or a compromise between the two, Firefox is what you need.

viewpo0.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stringtheory
i like ie7 works..:P

I agree that wholeheartedly IE 7 is the way to go. I'd take protection over speed any day. Besides it comes with operating system. Why add another browser program and put extra weight on your hard drive. Especially if you have a limited hard drive space like me 32.7 GB bytes. Why add another browser when IE 7 is right there. :D

2007 IE7 IE6 IE5 Fx Moz S O

April 19.2% 37.3% 1.7% 32.9% 1.3% 1.7% 1.7%

First resolved after a search on google

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

There are still people using Firefox, I am one if them. Not because I want an anti Microsoft browser or I think its safer, but for its functions.

There are tons of add-ons to make your life even easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Articles can be biased, misinformative (is that a frigging word) or simply honest, use the one suits your needs & do not forget to do some research (or leave Zeus_Hunt do it for you :rolleyes:. No favorites here, but witnessed IE7 acting retarded while calling mama for updates in different PCs, compared to IE6, it did not happened. Haven't tested the new FireFox, but the old one had a serious issue with memory management. Opera, is preferred all around, but no fanatic. Maxthon full of well like features using IE engine, but those damn bugs can be an infestation killing the experience.

Archived