How to share files....

elohelomg

Here is my dilemma. I recently got asked by the lady who is handling my medical stuff, to setup their computers. I figured, hell, how hard can it be. She said she needed 3 computers, and I figured i'd hop online and find a good buy (custom made, its always cheaper)

Little did i know, shes moving offices. Sort of. Shes having another branch, in the office in front of her. She also has a server up. Now, i know nothing about servers, but hers seem useless. Its not doing anything. Its not monitoring her log ins, its not setup to back stuff up. Nothing. zilch.

Anyway, so, she wants the office building next door, to hook up to her own network in her current office, which i was thinking wirelessly, but, router doesn't support it, because it seems to be a hub. So, we have to run a wire through it. Thats no problem either.

The problems comes here. If i hook up another router, would i sill be able to share files from the computers on the other network? If so how does one go about setting this up?

We want to share the entire hard drive, not just particular folders.

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To clarify:

Server is set up, that she has i hers office? does she need to be monitoring other (Office )PC's?

anw, a lot to learn and to set up, but if she has Server OS should be possible

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759202.aspx

there is also feature of active directory management, but I'm not too clued up in that area either

This is going to get detailed and I am guessing you have it all covered EXCEPT the part about the new router.. I could be wrong.. BUT it should work.. using DHCP on both.. except you will use one allocation in the first or main ( connected to the internet ) like the 192.168 variety.. then on the new ( Intranet ) you will want to use a 10.0.0.1 type allocation... and it should be that all necessary services are allowed through the system/hardware firewalls.. you may have to go for port forwarding.. but you may not it depends.. even on the model and available settings.. but you will have to setup the network first before you indicate a network drive or share.. because it could become broken.. BUT.. there also may be the ability to keep it as is.. had this problem with a $360,000 printer once...( HUGE ) Two routers second had wireless.. DHCP wasn't used and the devices could not be seen... I thin once the Hardware ID was tagged for the device and DHCP was in place then it worked fine.. then the address allocation for the 'spooler' worker.. but should work the same like I said if nothing is being blocked.. and protections are not in the way either...

Could be wrong.. so experience trumps me in this area ..

LOL.. Only one way to find out :w00t: .. :lmao: and weekend to do it.. actually shouldn't take but a few minutes.. BUT you want to plan for incidents..

I would suggest some security in this area as well .. just as a side note.. and wireless may not be the best option to enable.. definitely not without WPA/PSK.. Tenable Nessus would be a good tool to use for the type of thing as well..

How does one go about (if you could list the steps please) in sharing the computers together if they're on difference routers. By sharing, i mean, allowing access to each others drives.

Well there should not be a difference of any kind.. than on a regular router.. the same way that you do on a normal machine...the only difference is that their DHCP Address is given by the second router, internet service and machines or devices can be given addresses on the first and second...

Depending on which OS.. you may have to restart for the NetBIOS and things to kick in and for other computers to see them..

Dont wanna go off topic on my own thread, but she was also wondering if there were any "monitoring" apps. She wants to see what all her other employees are doing, be able to go in, and close stuff if necessary.

When you say 'close stuff' do you men files or programs.. because simply closing a program isn't going to cut it.. and access permission is going to be the way to go..

What is the setup.. with OS wise...

EDIT: There literally are a thousand and one tools out there for this sort of thing.. a full encompassing solution is going to be better arrived at by considering all aspects of use programs involved.. and needed function..

There are ways to watch every file and keep track of who and when it was accessed.. versioning.... restrictive privileges on the system itself that is being used... files that are able to accessed.. I mean really... LOL depending on what and how it to be used.. even a CMF/CMS Based platform could be used.. with WebDAV and FTP support.. which could also be used remotely.. if need be.. just too many solutions.. and you could miss something..

It could be easier if she is simply looking at using each one as a work station.. and having programs/files all on the main server.. Local Security Policy and Group Policy setup... plus this could be different and even more capable depending on the OS..

Well, this is has to be a crossover between windows xp and win7.

She wants to be able to visually see the other computer (like remote viewing), but, be able to do it with all the computers on the network.

Well.. First thing's first.. and my advise is to run Windows Ultimate 64 Bit .. Your going to need good Video, RAM, and Processor Power... Your not going to want to do it with a system that is not going to be able to handle it... Your also going to have to get some decent systems.. I don't mean of the same grade as the server.. but when you setup and run a client/server on that end.. you don't want to lock down or slow down the system in use or create bottlenecks..( unless you want to lock it down for work or security purposes ).. There is a program that will allow you to manage remote sessions in one window.. using tabs.. I will have to search for it however... Remote Viewing, sharing, and administration can cover several programs... Office 2010 is probably going to come into the picture somewhere as well...

It sounds like a chunk of change.. but it really is going to be worth the investment in the long run... I would look at upgrading the systems which are using XP right now..including their hardware support..( support will completely end in a few years anyway ) to Windows 7.. it will make things go a lot smoother.. from a managerial standpoint.. and IT.. it will also create a better platform to work from when putting it together.. I know its possible to do it.. but XP is missing new features and integrated features which can cause some issues and in some scenarios cause you to have to go from the tools which are readily available to other programs and methods which can become more complicated and problematic.. IMO.. Windows 7 .. though possibly new to her.. will smooth the integration and usage of the new business network and workstations a lot easier... Not to mention that by default.. even without a few tweaks... Windows 7 is a more secure system for business right now.. Administration covers a wider range than in the days of XP.. ( unless you start really working mods and alterations/patches and configuration changes to death.. which means again more money for IT and maintenance of said systems...There are quite a few points to be made..

I would run that across her and see what she says.. Being financially prepared to do it is a thing as well.. even if its a business loan.. lots of expenditure when it comes to expanding a business so it is a point to be made/considered..

Archived