Somali Islamists al-Shabab 'execute two young women'

Atasas

Somali Islamists al-Shabab 'execute two young women'

Two young women have been publicly executed by Somali Islamist group al-Shabab, reports say

_49518881_010327798-1.jpg

They were said to have been shot by a firing squad in the city of Beledweyne.

The pair, reportedly teenagers, were sentenced to death on Wednesday after being accused of spying, but a relative insisted they were innocent.

Somalia has had no functioning government since 1991. The al-Qaeda-linked group al-Shabab and its allies control much of the country's south.

The two young women were named by AP news agency as 18-year-old Ayan Mohamed Jama and 15-year-old Huriyo Ibrahim - though other reports suggest they may have been older.

Al-Shabab militiamen walked through the town's streets, telling residents about the executions by loudspeaker and ordering everyone to attend, reports the agency.

The militia group's regional commander, Sheikh Yusuf Ali Ugas, said the two had been found guilty of spying and being what he described as "enemies of Islam".

'Surprising'

But Ayan Mohamed's aunt told a local radio station that they were not guilty.

"How can young school girls be spies for a government or Western countries, that is a very surprising matter," she said.

"These militants are doing whatever they want, we don't know what to do and where to run."

A woman who witnessed the execution, Sadia Osman, also said one of the young women had said she was innocent of the charges, AP reported.

Another eyewitness described how people in the crowd were shocked by the sight of the killings.

"One of the women who saw the execution today collapsed and lost consciousness after she saw the cruel way the girls were shot," Da'ud Ahmed said.

Somalia's UN-backed government authority only controls parts of Mogadishu and a few other areas, although it has been gaining ground from al-Shabab in recent weeks.

BBC news

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Note: If the thread gets over-heated. I or other staff members will close it.

he's trying to say that this type of news usually breaks down in a flame wars and religious talk *in a nutshell*

• Administrator

Note: If the thread gets over-heated. I or other staff members will close it.

Let me get that straight! you telling me of your disapproval to discus this issue?

Not really. Thats not the point. No one minds peaceful discussions. And going by the nsane.forums history, you can't really say that peaceful discussions are possible on these subjects. The above note is specifically for all the future posters (on this thread). ;)

sad and sicking. shaking head.

all i know if we ever in up going back to that country we are going to lay waste to them. no if, than or buts about it. kill the pirates, somali islamists and rebels. ever single one of them.

about all i can say without crossing the line.

you know there really should be an african police force from the stable countries down there that take care of crap like this.

I'd like to say one thing: it is not the Islam which makes countries like this more prone to 'illegal' activity (there's virtually no law over there, so illegal might not be the right word). It's their political and economical climate which causes these things, it just so happens to be that a lot of countries in which the Islam is the main religion have this climate and use this religion as an excuse for violence.

The same circumstances that make these countries prone to illegal activity also make it prone to religious activity. (Religion as mass brainwashing.)

I am not saying that religion IS mass-brainwashing, I'm just saying it can be used as such (when people do not actually 'decide for themselves'). When people decide for themselves to be religious, that's their business.

I hope that fairly soon, just like what happened to Christianity, Islam will fall apart. Yet again, do not misunderstand this comment: I would like it to fall apart, as in no longer be 'mass-brainwashing', but change into a personal religion. Christianity, luckily, lost most of is power some time ago and I certainly hope this is a process any religion will undergo. Religion is fine (not for me, but still), but religion with power is NOT.

Religion with power is like an ideology in power, I'm sure I don't have to remember most of you as to what happened the last time when an ideology was 'in power' in a country (*cough* Germany). People are supposed to think for themselves, anything that causes people to think as a mob, rather than as an individual, should be 'cast away'.

I hope I made things very clear, if not please do not be offended by this message; it is NOT offensive, if you are offended then there's two options: (1) you didn't understand it (most likely option) or (2) your personal ideology states that people should not think for themselves.

;)

As always, think before posting :)

Killing innocent civilians is abhorring, especially young ones. These kind of actions has nothing to do with Islam (or any religion for that matter), it's just murder committed by a bunch of thugs.

Some of best and most precious of my friends have been Muslims - come to think of it . . . . . . . . . . Customers, too. They've always been swift in condemning such cowardly acts.

Feel sorry for those hapless kids (irrespective of their gender.) :(

Archived