Firefox acting slow

jalaffa

At seemingly random intervals Firefox is slow responding. Also happens when running it in safe mode (all add-ons disabled). When scrolling a page there is like a second delay (using mouse or keys). Selecting a menu item takes like a second before response. Restarting Firefox turns things back to normal (for a while)

The WebGUI of my seedbox has been upgraded lately (like as late as yesterday). The GUI of that page is pretty advanced. You view the ruTorrent activity live in a browser page. I'm starting to believe that my problem has something to do with that.

What seem to have solved my problem is to view the seedbox page in a different browser (Opera). Firefox has acted normal after I started doing that.

If submitting a support ticket to the seedbox company. What documentation would you suggest me to include? Can you suggest any tools that can analyze Firefox compatibility of web pages?

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not familiar with that page.. but is there a flash related object or scripts of any kind... Could be something as simple as querying their database... My first guess though would be something wrong with the scripts.. or even something blocked.. I would need to know more about that page.. and I don't have a seedbox.. so a little unsure.. but most problems are fairly simple.. You could also use something like web developer... to look for and run validation on the page... see if you can find something wrong there.. quite often a problem when it comes to pages that are badly written or have the right combination of errors...

Thanks heath28m. I seem to have isolated the problem. I'll submit a ticket. It's weird how Firefox can be so much affected by me simply browsing a single page.

Yeah.. you run into some of these issues when you go for cross browser/OS compatibility, some simple appearance problems.. which are common.. and even worse like this one.. I remember days of some pages crashing Firefox.. and other browsers...

@jalaffa:

Are you using a nightly build? I also experience this problem.

When I open the Task Manager, I see firefox.exe consuming +500MB of RAM and Virtual Memory.

Restarting Firefox seems to be the only solution for now.

I'm using the 3.6.12. Come to think of it. I really should "install" the portable version of it to prove my point here.

You know looking at that.. it looks exactly like the regular WebUI for uTorrent.. minus the tabs up top...and of course the remote control of WebUI I am guessing.. is that what this is or is it something different.....

Mine a little modded... LOL and from version 1.8 BUT.. the new one is identical to what you posted..

J are you using some smooth scrolling add-on? I was experiencing this very same problem with random websites and as soon as I disable "yet another smooth scrolling" add-on the problem seems to have been fixed.

@jalaffa:

Are you using a nightly build? I also experience this problem.

When I open the Task Manager, I see firefox.exe consuming +500MB of RAM and Virtual Memory.

Restarting Firefox seems to be the only solution for now.

my FF uses about 130-140 mb RAM in average. if I ad that stupid plugin- container which takes 50-60 mb of RAM I end up with 200 - 200+ mb.

does anyone know if I am permitted to shut down that plugin container and how?

Try this..http://www.technogadge.com/how-to-stop-firefox-plugin-container-exe-process/

If submitting a support ticket to the seedbox company. What documentation would you suggest me to include?

It's a good idea keep the 'error console' enabled (it's disabled by default.)

<type> about:config <in the address bar> >>----> <type> console <in the search bar> >>----> <double click> javascript.options.showInConsole>>----> <change to> true

Thanks for the feedback dudes :) No problems since running it in a different browser. I'll test if it works in Fx again and use your guidance alongside.

Edit: ok heath28m.

Just to be clear.. my post was for tipo's question... and a little off-topic... I technically don't and will not recommend disabling the plugin-container.. as it keeps your browser from crashing ... and actually becoming so vulnerable and vulnerable to crappy outdated flash scripts and apps.. :)

Archived