Nvidia Makes the GTX 580 Official By 'Accident'

Toshiro

geforce_logo.jpg

Just a few days ago we were reporting on a rumor that stated Nvidia is busy working on its next generation high-end GTX 580 graphics card and today this news has become official since Nvidia's very own 3D Vision requirements page mentioned this card briefly (before being pulled out).

This “leak” comes just a few days after AMD has released its second generation DirectX 11 HD 6850 and HD 6870 graphics cards, the latter being already reviewed over here at Softpedia to find that it brings a huge performance increase over the HD 5770 that is meant to replace, so this may as well be Nvidia's way of stealing some of AMD's spotlight.

The mention didn't confirm more then the existence of this board since there were no technical details to speak off, although rumors suggest this will actually be a full GF100 core with some improvements such as 128 texturing units and a wider 512-bit memory bus.

I said a full GF100 core cause Nvidia actually designed this GPU to come with 512 stream processing units, however, because of thermal and power constraints, the Santa Clara based company was forced to disable some of these in its current flagship, the GTX 480 coming with only 480 such units.

Reports also state, the GTX 580 will come to market in late November or early December, but don't mention if Nvidia will use a new manufacturing process for this core or if they have actually done anything in order to push power consumption and operating temperatures down.

And, since TSMC is pretty far from being ready to mass produce 28nm chips I am pretty sure the GTX 580 will be based on the same 40nm manufacturing process used by today's Fermi chips.

This, combined with the 512-bit memory bus and the 512 stream processors, will surely make the GTX 580 the most power hungry video card available out there so I am curious to know how exactly will Nvidia cope with the heat produced by this monster, since those 512SP were to much for the GTX 480 to handle.

All in all, I would have to say this is just Nvidia's way of bringing something to cater to its fanboy base, since AMD will soon release more powerful video cards, based on the Northern Islands GPU series, that will surely dethrone the GTX 480 as the single-GPU performance king.

Nvidia-Makes-the-GTX-580-Official-By-Accident-2.jpg

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wah... i need to upgrade my spec soon. maybe in the 200 series or in 3. 9800gtx is still high but some games requires higher sys/req.

do you think how much is the cost of this 580gtx?

wah... i need to upgrade my spec soon. maybe in the 200 series or in 3. 9800gtx is still high but some games requires higher sys/req.

do you think how much is the cost of this 580gtx?

In the beginning.. maybe around $300-$350.

I'm running the ATI 4850 512 mb.. It's still working great, but I'll need an upgrade lol :lol:

I recently upgraded to gtx460 so I'm not planing to upgrade for at least one year. And even if I plan it, I don't think I would buy so much power hungry card.

Cheers ;)

I recently upgraded to gtx460 so I'm not planing to upgrade for at least one year. And even if I plan it, I don't think I would buy so much power hungry card.

Cheers ;)

Nvidea cards demand a lot from your PSU right?

ATI does a good job when talking about PSU stressing. I'm more a ATI person :lol:

Cheers ;)

ATI does a good job when talking about PSU stressing. I'm more a ATI person :lol:

You got a point there. :D But this one is most efficient in their last series. My CoolerMaster Real Power M520 handles it quite good.

Cheers ;)

Cheers ;)

You got a point there. :D But this one is most efficient in their last series. My CoolerMaster Real Power M520 handles it quite good.

Cheers ;)

It might be due to the M520.. got the same one.. It's a though one! :)

I switched from the Nvidea MX4 400 (Playing Counter Strike 1.6 on it :P ) to my current system. (3 years old now :P )

Asus P5KL-PRO mobo

C2D e8400 @ 3.0 GHZ

500 gb HDD samsung spinpoint

2 gb Corsair TWIN2X ddr2 800 mhz RAM

ATI 4850 512 MB Graka

The CoolerMaster Real Power M520

And the Coolermaster CM690 case

Working Great.. Handles MW2 on high. :)

You can my specs in my signature. I think I have mine PSU for two years now (since my crappy "400W" PSU died which came with my case). I switched from 8600gt to gtx460. Other components stayed the same.

Cheers ;)

It is (hence a little overclock). But it's not worth a change now. When I save enough money, I'm planing new motherboard, DDR3 RAM and probably some i5 CPU.

Cheers ;)

@mara-:

By that time, you should go for i7. I mean with Intel releasing new CPUs, prices should drop quite a bit ^_^

@mara-:

By that time, you should go for i7. I mean with Intel releasing new CPUs, prices should drop quite a bit ^_^

That would be even better, but you never know with Intel. i7 price might stay high for a longer time.

Cheers ;)

Archived