Windows XP connection limit

ck_kent

Hi guys! Is there a workaround to Windows XP's maximum connection limit of 10? I mean, when you share a folder or printer from an XP computer a maximum of 10 simultaneous connections can only be made. I know XP is not meant to be a server, thus the limit but I just thought some of you guys might know a workaround (software or tweaks) for this especially sharing a printer without using a print server. I also know Windows 7 now has a maximum of 20 but it's not an option right now due to licensing issues.

Thanks. :)

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes there is... HOLF ( Half-open Limit Fix ).. http://half-open.com/ do not go too high... and make sure you have altered other settings and your router as well if need.. really for it to work well you have to address every aspect you can to have it optimized as much as possible and able to handle the extra connections.. some would recommend 100 I always had mine at 1000.. but that was to make room fr request from several things at once.. which required or was capable of making many connections at the same time..

Never heard of this effecting printers though.. are you sure thats what you have a problem with? There is also a hack to change IE's limit as well.. You can install or use IE7Pro... to alter it to 99 Connections... or go into the registry and this would available to be found and searched online..

Windows 7 is not supposed to have this limitation in place.. or effecting SMB incoming I found is limited to 20..

• Administrator

Yup, heath28m has posted is the right tool. Though, depending on your connection, I would recommend to try 50 first. I agree with the printer thing. I don't think that this limit should affect any connection other than internet, I maybe wrong here, but it's less likely.

EDIT: Yup. It's related to TCP. Wont affect your printer.

Thanks for the quick response, heath28m and DKT27. I've also read about this before and thought this was the solution I was looking for but found out that this is about the half-open IP connections (internet). What I'm actually looking for is Windows XP's 10 session limit built into the server/print services in a workgroup network. In a workgroup, say 20 computers, when you share a folder or a printer connected to a Windows XP machine, only ten sessions/connections can be made to that machine. If the 10 connections have been filled other users won't be able to see or print to that machine anymore until it releases some of the connections made or until you restart the machine.

This.. though almost 5 years old may help... http://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-network-connection-limit.html

Yes, that's the one I'm referring to.

While browsing for some solutions earlier I've also found out about decreasing the time for autodisconnect, which is 15mins by default. I guess that's the only workaround I can think for now.

Thanks for the link, heath28m. I will also consider some of the options listed there but definitely not the "upgrading to a Windows server". :)

Yeah I think its was sort of encompassing or attempting to address all instances... Let me know if it works out.. I remember a program I had that is supposed to allow modification of these other protocols but I have to do some researching before I am totally sure about it.. or even know if I still have it or not... in fact I am not for sure about Windows 7 Manager or WinASO ( which I know has something about RDP )... will have to give it a look and see.. LOL

I would check your printer too and see if its wireless.. or has RJ45 capability .. this way you could use the router and there would be no need to SMB in through your system.. completely around the problem.. ( networked printer ).. and you can hit it through a Wireless connection which is something I used to think was cool.. :) LOL

I would check your printer too and see if its wireless.. or has RJ45 capability .. this way you could use the router and there would be no need to SMB in through your system.. completely around the problem.. ( networked printer ).. and you can hit it through a Wireless connection which is something I used to think was cool.. :) LOL

That was my first solution, actually. I bought a Linksys switch/print server but the problem is the HP multifunction printer was not compatible with the print server. It only works for sometime or at first use then it would stop working the following day. This is why I thought there might be another way without buying an additional device.

Thanks again! :)

What model number is your printer? The one I had.. You had to use the disc.. and hook it up a specific way ( or order ).. it was in the instructions.. I used just the regular Internet Router ... 2Wire.. I did have to allow the protocols through the firewall.. for each device/system...and keep the services for the protocols available on my systems.. I think there an issue at one point with Sleep Modes on either the printer.. or something... When I went 'Security Freak' and realized I never hardly used the printer I changed the system configuration down to having to activate the Print Spooler Service and plug directly in.. but before that I could use the PC and Print to it from the other end of the house.. as long as paper and everything was in and ready... I think it was a 2570.. there was one before that too I think that I did that way...if I am not mistaken... and along with the RJ45 connection my router would also allow me to jack in using the USB... but I do remember all of the network services like NetBIOS and being able to see computers and all had to be enabled..

The printer is an HP LaserJet M1319f Multifunction Printer and the print server I used was a Linksys PSUS4 . It's connected through the USB port of the print server. The printer is not in the compatibility list in the print server's site. I just thought I might give it a try since it's the cheapest I could find. It worked for a couple of days but it stopped working after that. It would work again if I remove the old configuration and do a fresh install using the CD and it's utility but after a couple of days it would stop again. :angry: That's why I decided not to use it anymore. I didn't want to use HP's print server because it's just too expensive, enough to buy a new pc.

Hear what I recommend to do. First update your print server with the latest firmware. Second be sure to assign it a static IP address on your network because this is the major problem causer. Most users leave the printer IP to automatically set via DHCP but sometimes the IP might change and the drivers on your pc will say the printer is offline and cannot be located.

Also I personally have never bought a print server before because they are overpriced and really the same exact hardware as their router counterparts just with slightly different firmware. Instead you buy a router for under 50 bucks and install dd-wrt and use it as a wireless ethernet bridge. In this case the printer is already a network printer with an rj-45 port so you use a bridge, if there is only USB port then you configure dd-wrt as a print server and well you need a router with a built in usb port or you can mod a router and solder a usb port since most of the router CPU have support for atleast 1 usb port.

If you just want to buy commercially ready print servers I recommend you NEVER buy Link-shit. I will tell you why, ASUS and Buffalo networking products are way better. The reason is that Linksys removes plenty of the router ram and cripples the unit and sells them at 2x the cost of another brand with better specs. When I say better specs I'm not joking around, Asus WL-520gC has the same router CPU as WRT54G except the Asus comes with 16MB of ram and the Wrt54g comes with 8MB of ram so it cannot sustain any great number of connections at all, Load uTorrent and internet dies, the router runs out of ram or reboots. ASUS RT-N12 has the same exact Broadcom CPU with 32MB ram as WRT160N v3 which Cisco also renamed to E1000 and trying to pass it off as something new but it's the same old shit and look at the price. Asus RT-N12 costs 35 to 40 bucks whereas Linksys charges around 75 bucks for their WRT160N v3 and their E1000. Don't follow the hype, Linksys is overpriced and over-hyped.

My recommendation for a good print server: ASUS RT-N13U. It works for everything.

Yeah.. It doesn't have the connectivity for RJ45 either I noticed... nor wireless.. ( Only RJ11 )and looks like the only other way would be via USB to the normal router.. but that would probably take a special cable and even then the printer may not like it... ( Mine had four RJ45 Ports the Wireless.. and a place where you can hook the square end of the USB into and connect to a system for connectivity.. on yours you would probably have to get one of the USB cable where you can exchange/change ends - to have both of the same unless you have a USB port somewhere, for the flat ).. to even try.. AND your normal router would have to have it.. connected directly through the system seems to be the only option its giving you..

Interesting issue... hope it works out though.. Seems really odd that it would quit working... Did you ever see any issues posted around about the printer itself?

I personally got to where if I had to use a disc to install it.. and it would not plug-n-play.. especially with HP stuff.. I wouldn't use it or I would take it back... The one I have now.. thankfully will simply plugin and work with all functions. Really don't even know why I have it.. I never even use it or have it hooked up.. Just in case I guess.. My big gripe was all of the unnecessary services and programs and crap that came with them... didn't even need most of it...

EDIT: I think Leet has something there with the DHCP Configuration.... something I didn't think about.. how I have mine setup anyway.. always.. kind of forget .. don't think .. LOL :)

Thanks LeetPirate. I did use a static IP and the firmware was up to date during the time I installed it. Sadly the existing Linsys WRT54G router's version is not supported by dd-wrt because of its low RAM. I've also read a lot of good reviews about the ASUS RT-N13U. I would definitely consider trying that if everything else fails or the need really arises.

@heath28m: If time permits, and the users in the office where it's installed would permit it, I would like to give it a try again. Cleaning all their installed network printer drivers and all the remnants of the Linksys print server and observe what really is causing the issue. :)

At the moment, I am just going to try to lower the time of autodisconnect and see if they would be able to print without restarting the host pc if all connections are filled.

• 2 weeks later...
NewEraCracker

I remember cw2k was working in patching this

Take a look here:

http://free.pages.at/antiwpa11/Other/

There are some LanServer patches but there is none for XP SP3 :( (I think someone with ollydbg skills can fix it via cw2k tuts)

Archived