LimeWire Shuts Down After Losing Court Battle With The RIAA

nsane.forums

The Gnutella-based download client LimeWire has ceased all its operations after a U.S. federal judge granted a request from the RIAA. Limewire was ordered to disable all functionalities in the current application to prevent users from sharing copyrighted material. The verdict is expected to have an unprecedented impact on the P2P file-sharing landscape. lime.jpgA few months ago the RIAA asked a New York District Court to shut down the world’s most installed file-sharing application, LimeWire.

The record labels argued that the Gnutella-based download client might have caused billions of dollars in lost revenue and that it’s therefore one of the largest threats to the music industry’s revenue. Today, RIAA’s request was granted by a federal judge.

According to the injunction, Limewire “intentionally encouraged infringement” by Limewire users, it is used “overwhelmingly for infringement” and it knew about the “substantial infringement being committed” by its users.

The evidence further showed that Limewire marketed its application to Napster users and that its business model depends on mass copyright infringements.

The New York District Court demanded that Limewire shuts down its entire operation, including all searches and uploading and downloading that occurs through the client. LimeWire users who start up their client will immediately notice that it is no longer usable.

Limewire’s in-client notice to users.

limewire-notice.jpg

The outcome of this case could potentially change the file-sharing landscape for good. Despite BitTorrent being the leading file-sharing protocol for several years already, LimeWire is most likely the most installed P2P application on the market. In 2008 LimeWire was the most installed P2P application with an impressive market-share of 37%, compared to 14% for runner-up uTorrent.

Now the RIAA has scored a victory in court against LimeWire, millions of people will have to seek an alternative download client, which might mean a significant boost in user numbers for some of the major BitTorrent applications.

On the other hand, software that’s similar to LimeWire might be affected negatively by today’s judgment. In the injunction software such as FrostWire and MP3Rocket, but also BitTorrent clients including uTorrent, Vuze and Transmission are described as “similar software”. Could one of these become the next target?

In a response to TorrentFreak, the RIAA didn’t want to speculate on future targets. Instead, we were told: “The court has now signed an injunction that will start to unwind the massive piracy machine that Limewire and Gorton used to enrich themselves immensely.”

“In January, the court will conduct a trial to determine the appropriate level of damages necessary to compensate the record companies for the billions and billions of illegal downloads that occurred through the Limewire system,” the RIAA added.

Although today’s decision is the end of Limewire as we know it, the brand is expected to reappear soon with a “non-infringing” service.

The Injunction

Article from: TorrentFreak.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest it's been a long time in the waiting after all it was the next big client after the likes of Kazaa (Kazza) however it was spelt went and what not

Wow... can't believe I just read this after what.. 8 years when they attacked Gnutella Networks I remember WinMX.. Kazaa.. LONG time ago..

More like I wanna tied a ribbon over my eyes have everyone spin me around and round... so they can get me off kilter ... and then bend me over to get f!@#$%.. ( or infected or something )...Never have had anything good come out of Usenet... Just my personal opinion.. but thats what it always felt like..

• Administrator

RIP. It may have lot of junk and useless cr@p. But it was like a already dead base in a war, even if it wasn't great in current times, it goes onto the paper that RIAA manage to capture this base.

But... some users are saying that it's still working for them. And Firewire may not be effected.

Yeah I forget about all of the spin-offs of Limewire.. I quit even trying to use it probably close to 6 years ago... I went to it from WinMX... but even then the search pool as it were did not really render usable results.. and it was very possible then especially that you were to get infected... Probably will take time for all of the servers to go down... and the program to longer be maintained..

Sad for some... :(

• Administrator

It probably the reason behind me getting infected the first time. Sad Happy memories with it. Also, the first (probably, don't remember) P2P client I used. Maybe they will target the whole Gnutella next time?

I do not believe the whole network can be targeted.. because it is not .. as a whole used only for that purpose of which would violate any law.. similar to Torrents..

It probably the reason behind me getting infected the first time. Sad Happy memories with it. Also, the first (probably, don't remember) P2P client I used. Maybe they will target the whole Gnutella next time?

RIAA can NOT shutdown the Gnutella Network because it is made up of the open-source clients itself. Limewire will continue to work if you already have it installed or if you get a copy of it.

Just the development has stopped, but the RIAA didn't really win because most of the Limewire developers are already working with Frostwire and have been for the last few years.

There are many Limewire mods still in development besides Frostwire because of the open-source code like Luckywire, MP3 Torpedo, Cabos, CitrixWire, Sharest, Limerunner, LimeZilla, etc. to name a few.

Shareaza also supports Gnutella Network, because the network is not going anywhere.

RIP Limewire, but your soul still lives on in open-source.

Thanks.:D

A federal judge sided with the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) in its copyright infringement lawsuit against Lime Wire and ordered the latter to immediately stop distributing and supporting its file sharing software.

LimeWire is a cross-platform peer-to-peer file sharing application developed by Lime Wire LLC and dating back to May 2000.

The Java program supports the gnutella P2P network, as well as the BitTorrent protocol, and allows users to upload and download music, movies, software and other files easily.

The permanent injunction [pdf] prohibits Lime Wire from distributing, selling, advertising or otherwise supporting the application and orders the company to disable the searching, downloading, uploading, file trading and/or all of its functionality.

U.S. District Judge Kimba Wood, who issued the order, said that Lime Wire intentionally encouraged copyright infringement by being aware that the program's users were violating copyright laws on a massive scale.

Judge Wood also noted that the amount of potential statutory damages the company faces is so staggering that would probably be well beyond its capabilities to pay.

"Naturally, we’re disappointed with this turn of events," said Lime Wire's CEO Geore Searle in a message posted on the company's website.

"We are extremely proud of our pioneering history and have, for years, worked hard to bridge the gap between technology and content rights holders.

"However, at this time, we have no option but to cease further distribution and support of our software," he added.

Mr. Searle also announced that the company remains open for business and plans to use its resources to creating a new music service.

More details about this service will be revealed at a later date, but it's not hard to imagine that it will probably be something conceptually similar to Napster.

It's also worth noting that the injunction clearly states that if the company want to release a new version of the "LimeWire System and Software," it must first submit it to RIAA and the court for review.

The LimeWire System and Software includes the computer hardware and servers operated by or on behalf of the company, as well as its limewire.com and limewire.org domains.

link

Archived