Sixth-grader admits stabbing ducks with pencil

Bolt_Gundam510

Bolt_Gundam510

WICHITA, Kansas (AP) -- A sixth-grader stabbed to death a mother duck and two ducklings that had nested near a school, distressing the other children and alarming officials who said the boy needs mental health treatment.

Students at Wilbur Middle School had named the mother duck Lucy and were monitoring her and her brood, making sure no one disturbed the nest in a grassy creek bed. Their mutilated bodies -- stabbed with a pencil -- were found this week.

An announcement over the public address system led the boy to admit the killings, officials said. They said he had also talked about the act to classmates and didn't understand why it was wrong.

The boy, whose name was not released, was suspended Wednesday. His return to the school will hinge on a hearing.

School officials were responding "the way we do whenever we believe that a child might be a risk to himself or others," said Liz McGinness, who coordinates the district's mental health crisis team.

She said his parents were being told they must seek outside mental health care. "We really don't mince words on this," she said. "We know that animal cruelty is a very serious, significant behavior."

No decision has been made on possible criminal charges. Killing mallard ducks is illegal this time of year, and even in hunting season, the way they were killed would be illegal, officials said.

Mark Rankin, assistant director of law enforcement for the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks, said the boy may not be charged because of his age. A hunting violation charge could bring an adult up to seven days in jail and a $250 fine, while animal cruelty carries up to a year in jail and $10,000 in fines, he said.

Kris Meckenstock said his seventh-grade son helped monitor the nest and "just can't believe somebody could be so mean."

"By the same token, I think that kid obviously needs help," Meckenstock added. "My thought is, we need to look a little bit further and find out why somebody would have those tendencies."

Wilbur students and staff held a ceremony Thursday "to share their grief for these animals," McGinness said.

Source: CNN U.S.

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dunno bout this. saw lots and lots of kidds doing overwhelmingly cruel things 2 animals. i tend 2 believe its an exploratory thing or so, more than a self-consciouss act of cruelty-one. but thats just my opinion

Zeus_Hunt
Meckenstock added. "My thought is, we need to look a little bit further and find out why somebody would have those tendencies."

Agree with the above...one needs to understand y the kid did it...

They said he had also talked about the act to classmates and didn't understand why it was wrong.

This is scary!

Jeffrey Dahmer II.....F'd up in my opinion....get the kid help NOW...or ready his prison cell for when he turns 18.

They said he had also talked about the act to classmates and didn't understand why it was wrong.

Kid kinda sounds like the VT shooter type person... ;)

Archived