Windows 7 SP1 RC officially released

nsane.forums

Microsoft has just released an RC version of its upcoming service pack. The version, windows6.1-KB976932, has been officially released and this may have been done because of the recent leak.

The SP1 will provide several enhancements to Windows 7 including Remote FX and many incremental updates to the platform. The SP1 can be found here and weighs in at 865.4MB for the 64 bit version and 514.7MB for the 32 bit version.

Microsoft releases service packs incrementally to make it easier for users to quickly bring their OS up to speed with all of the latest security patches and enhancements. Occasionally, Microsoft will introduce new features in service packs. Service packs are always provided free of charge, provided that you have a genuine copy of Windows.

As this release is an RC, a release candidate, it should be a stable version of the service pack, but as with any software that is not the final release version, install at your own risk.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 9
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need small info.hope you guys clarify me with it..1.wil windows release service pack 1 along with original set up i mean original set up with service pack 1 as single installation file or as stated in this thread as a FREE separate file2.if this is a separate release shall i install it on my present running windows 7 ult..?3.any precautions while installing.4.also i saw another file service pack 1 iso image 1.8gb.is this different one.Note - mine is not original one.installed with loader.so pls give me instructions or suggestions to install service pack 1.Thank u guys.wil be waiting for reply

AFAIK, just like older versions of Windows, once a service pack is released new installation discs will contain the service pack. It will be slipstreamed already. So, once you install that slipstreamed disc, it's already patched to service pack 1. The service pack, however, will still be available for download as a separate install for those who already have Windows 7 on their systems.

About the precautions, I'm worried about the patch - KB971033 (Windows Activation Technologies). I've read that it will be included in the service pack. This patch is optional if you update manually using Windows Update. This patch is suppose to detect activation exploits and tampering to key Windows system files. So I'm worried if this is going to detect the loader that was applied to the Windows 7 to make it activated.

AFAIK, just like older versions of Windows, once a service pack is released new installation discs will contain the service pack. It will be slipstreamed already. So, once you install that slipstreamed disc, it's already patched to service pack 1. The service pack, however, will still be available for download as a separate install for those who already have Windows 7 on their systems.

About the precautions, I'm worried about the patch - KB971033 (Windows Activation Technologies). I've read that it will be included in the service pack. This patch is optional if you update manually using Windows Update. This patch is suppose to detect activation exploits and tampering to key Windows system files. So I'm worried if this is going to detect the loader that was applied to the Windows 7 to make it activated.

I'm worried about that aswell, and will not try this newly released RC1. I don't wont to end up, as in the worst case, reinstalling my computer. Anyhow, I do want this new RC1. God damn!

• Administrator

I would recommend everyone to wait for the final. First of all, it's confirmed that SP1 will have WAT pre-packed. But, I don't think it will effect the Daz Loader users. I'm having WAT installed on my computer and fixed Windows 7 with Daz (I wont install SP1 yet to confirm), I'm having no genuine Windows problem what so ever. But, if you are still worried, wait for the final, when it comes out, you'll see many fixes getting full compatibility with SP1.

Yeah i too got installed WAT on MY PC.nothing happened.waiting for final.lets see what happens..

• Administrator

OK then. This article helps saying why installing this would be totally un-advisable:

Microsoft made available for download Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Release Candidate (RC) Build 6.1.7601.17105.100929-1730 and I thought I’d put together a small list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) and answers for testers.

1. What are the languages supported with Windows 7 SP1 RC?

Just as for the Beta, Windows 7 SP1 RC is available in English, French, German, Japanese and Spanish.

2. When did Microsoft complete SP1 RC?

The Build number indicates that the company signed off on the bits on September 29th, 2010.

3. Who can test Build 6.1.7601.17105.100929-1730?

Well,

Windows 7 SP1 RC is a public testing release, just as the Beta development milestone was. Still, this Build is designed for users with some experience in testing pre-release software, and not for end users to run day to day.

“The RC is best suited for IT Pros, tech enthusiasts, and developers who need to test the service pack in their organization or with the software they are developing. The final release of Service Pack 1 will be available through Windows Update for consumers when it is ready,” Microsoft said.

4. Are there any pre-requirements before installing SP1 RC?

Not really. Just make sure you have Windows 7 RTM and that the operating system includes all the updates offered by Microsoft. In Windows Updates check for any refreshes you might have missed and deploy them ahead of installing the service pack.

5. I’m a Windows 7 SP1 Beta tester, what does installing SP1 RC mean for me?

Users will need to first uninstall SP1 Beta before they deploy the Release Candidate. Upgrading from Windows 7 SP1 Beta to Windows 7 SP1 RC is not supported.

6. Will upgrades be supported from Windows 7 SP1 RC to Windows 7 SP1 RTM?

Microsoft says that such upgrades will not be supported. Users will have to remove SP1 RC before they will make the jump to the final release of the service pack.

7. Is Windows 7 SP1 RC time-bombed?

Yes. Like all Microsoft pre-release software, Windows 7 SP1 RC is time-bombed and set to expire on November 30, 2011. The platform will begin to highlight the imminent expiration date as of August 30, 2011.

Windows 7 SP1 RC will expire and be treated in a manner similar to non-genuine software even if the underlying Windows 7 RTM copy is perfectly genuine. Testers will need to upgrade to the RTM version of Windows 7 SP1 in order to avoid expiration.

8. Have any new features been introduced between the Beta and RC in SP1?

No. And Microsoft will deliver no new feature for Windows 7 SP1 RTM.

9. When will Windows 7 SP1 be released to manufacturing and served to customers?

Microsoft says that users will be getting Windows 7 SP1 RTM in the first half of 2011, most likely in the first quarter. But really, the actual availability deadline is anybody’s guess.

10. Is RC the final development milestone before RTM?

Absolutely. RTM is next in terms of the Windows 7 SP1 development process.

11. Can I perform a clean install of Windows 7 SP1 RC?

No. Microsoft is not offering public slipstreamed Builds of Windows 7 SP1 RC.

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Release Candidate (RC) Build 7601.17105.100929-1730 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Release Candidate (RC) Build 7601.17105.100929-1730 are available for download here.

view.gif View: Original Article

Archived