XP Pro Networking Issue

JunkInternetMail

JunkInternetMail

Having a pesky problem with a home network...

4 machines all Windows XP Pro w SP2 and all updates.

4 machines NOT using simple file sharing.

All joined on the network via lan and/or wifi...all seeing one another on the same workgroup.

Permissions set to full for all groups.

When trying to share printers/folders something goes wrong and I'm asked for usernames/passwords.

How can I fix this and wtf can be done to make it go away?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver (usually fixes crap like this)...

Start > Settings > Network Connections > Right-Click Network > Properties > File and Printer Sharing

...just uncheck it, OK, reboot, recheck it, OK, reboot ;)

also, if the printer is hooked up to a PC and not directly to the router check the following options to ensure your have network access to said PC...

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right-Click Adapter > Properties > Power Management

...make sure other users can bring the computer out of standby to create a print queue entry and make sure the admin only option is UNCHECKED (could be your prob right there) :ph34r:

JunkInternetMail

Thanks for the suggestions but eventually I just broke down and gave the admin accounts strong passwords and wrote them all down on paper then entered the username/pass for each share I wanted to create.

Previously, I used simple file sharing and it was much easier and then I noticed windows updates knocking out shares...

When I removed simple file sharing in the past it fixed most of the issues.

I have no clue wtf is up with this network that changed from before but I got a fix working now.

These kinds of issues are one reason why I use a triple boot on my laptop...hehe.

P.S. In case you were wondering I checked/tried everything suggested...it was still bugging me about the username/pass.

I'm chalking it up to 2 things: 1) Not using simple file sharing 2) The distro of XP I used for installing 3 out of 4 of the machines.

Archived