Speakers -__-

elohelomg

I used driver genius to download the driver for this pc, its an hp, but doesn't have the model number. or at least, its wrong. it says its a000 but hp has nothing on that. anyway, i used driver genius, found the driver, installed it, but there is no audio output. i swapped out the speakers as well, nothing. I checked the audio settings in the bios, and its a no go.any ideas? other tools i can use to figure out the drivers, or auto downoad them?

• Replies 2
  • Views 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First you need to find out what your system actually is... and check HP.. if your trying to use a software.. try to find a model number on the system itself.. HP Cases used to have it right on the front like HP 360n ( old ).. MV750P or something to that effect.. Last but not least.. Driver Genius.. while a good program.. does not always hit the mark.. and you may actually be installing or using the wrong drivers, as with most of the 'Driver' type softwares... The main thing for some is to figure out what your chipset and north and south bridge numbers are.. long with your cards if extra.. Everest is usually pretty good at identifying system hardware for this.. Then and only then will you be able to determine rather you actually need the update.. ( for instance older hardware and systems may not actually need to be installing the latest updates as certain configurations become obsolete, the drivers that work with certain chipsets and hardware configurations also become last generation and you have to roll back to keep the system working in some cases.. )

So you will need to either use Microsoft Update.. first if your hardware is not working.. or use the device manager to find a driver.. If you have XP.. I would look for updates to it that CAN in some cases improve performance.. With Vista and 7 however it can be best to simple use system provided drivers.. especially if the hardware has yet to be supported for use with the OSes and updates do not state that they will work specifically..

EDIT: If you roll back your drivers.. does it work? if not then look into the Control Panel for settings and with some PC's you may want to look for Mute Keys and other items that may have either chosen the wrong device, or routed incorrectly.. Might want to check the back of the machine and make sure you have it plugged in correctly.. some of the older HP models can have dual connection points or points that look like it is for sound.. while a second one will actually be the one that works and works well.. ( orange one I think )

First things first though.. use Everest to find out the hardware.. then try to find n update at the main site.. Really Driver Genius is good for nothing more than notifications and downloads never worked have the time.. since I updated to Windows 7.. I don't even bother installing it.. ( especially since the OS will find it for you and update through Microsoft Update.. anyway.. ) Drivers are a little bit different that they used to be for most common hardware..

First you need to find out what your system actually is... and check HP.. if your trying to use a software.. try to find a model number on the system itself.. HP Cases used to have it right on the front like HP 360n ( old ).. MV750P or something to that effect.. Last but not least.. Driver Genius.. while a good program.. does not always hit the mark.. and you may actually be installing or using the wrong drivers, as with most of the 'Driver' type softwares... The main thing for some is to figure out what your chipset and north and south bridge numbers are.. long with your cards if extra.. Everest is usually pretty good at identifying system hardware for this.. Then and only then will you be able to determine rather you actually need the update.. ( for instance older hardware and systems may not actually need to be installing the latest updates as certain configurations become obsolete, the drivers that work with certain chipsets and hardware configurations also become last generation and you have to roll back to keep the system working in some cases.. )

So you will need to either use Microsoft Update.. first if your hardware is not working.. or use the device manager to find a driver.. If you have XP.. I would look for updates to it that CAN in some cases improve performance.. With Vista and 7 however it can be best to simple use system provided drivers.. especially if the hardware has yet to be supported for use with the OSes and updates do not state that they will work specifically..

EDIT: If you roll back your drivers.. does it work? if not then look into the Control Panel for settings and with some PC's you may want to look for Mute Keys and other items that may have either chosen the wrong device, or routed incorrectly.. Might want to check the back of the machine and make sure you have it plugged in correctly.. some of the older HP models can have dual connection points or points that look like it is for sound.. while a second one will actually be the one that works and works well.. ( orange one I think )

First things first though.. use Everest to find out the hardware.. then try to find n update at the main site.. Really Driver Genius is good for nothing more than notifications and downloads never worked have the time.. since I updated to Windows 7.. I don't even bother installing it.. ( especially since the OS will find it for you and update through Microsoft Update.. anyway.. ) Drivers are a little bit different that they used to be for most common hardware..

Turns out, the mobo is dying. I went and got a high end sound card, installed its drivers, and the same thing. I was running on xp, and even updated to win7. No cigar. Bios settings were right....even driver genius couldn't help.

But, thanks anyway :)

Archived