Low Frames and 100percent cpu usage

Kavu

ok my friend has this newer computer its a alienware laptop, AMD Turion 64 mobile technology ml -44 795 Mhz 2.0gb of RAM Dual GeForce Go 7900 Gs. gfx cards. we have tried playing games if several different resolutions. and keep geting the same problems it doesnt seem to matter if we have a game on its lowest resolution or graphics and it still has major lag frame skips randomly and it heats up extreamly fast. even on somthing as simple as a nintendo rom it has these problems. could it be a driver issue weve tried geting the newest updates and are going to format the driver tonight and see if any of the problems stop have even called allienware and they didnt help at all lol..

• Replies 9
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why anybody would choose a laptop for serious gaming is beyond me :-)

well, ppl who buy overpriced alienware _must_ be crazy anyway ;-)

are the hickups really related to low FPS or might a slow or flacky internet connection just lag you out from time to time?

1. make sure the laptop doesn't overheat too much (leave some room underneath to enable constant airflow, maybe use an external fan).

2. do a virus scan with e.g. NOD32.

3. update the graphic driver to the latest (stable) version.

4. update all games with the latest (stable) patch.

5. make sure there are no resource intensive programs running in the background.

6 if you know how to do it, upgrade all relevant component's firmware (i.e. motherboard & graphic card).

I'd say: Do a reinstall with the Alienware disks, or at least put their drivers back on and watch again...

uh yah this forum isnt for flaming so stfu.

and yah ebait we plan on it just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas if we cant figure it out.

"edit" seems it may be a cooling problem

uh yah this forum isnt for flaming so stfu.
and to whom is this rude statement directed to?

why anybody would choose a laptop for serious gaming is beyond me :-)

well, ppl who buy overpriced alienware _must_ be crazy anyway ;-)

To you, I presume.

@ Kavu:

did you notice the smilies? while my first remark is meant rather serious, but in no way offensive, the second one in question is clearly labeled as irony (in absent of another better English term). I'm still wondering where you see a basis for flaming.

again, no offense meant.

well, if shut the f*ck up is your answer to somebody who is trying to help you, you may better shut your mouth yourself then.

I'll happily remove this if you edit your post yourself or may be so kind as to clarify why you think I'm flaming.

edit: spelling

I suggest Kavu nor martina do more flaming in here, lets hop back on-topic. Kavu: Progress?

I'd imagine the two GeForce 7900 (I hope I understood you right, there are two SLI cards, are there?) are producing a lot of heat. as you already speculated, maybe it's a heat problem.

if it can be done easily, maybe it's a good idea to open the laptop and make sure there's a good airflow to see if the problem goes away.

• 1 month later...
I'd imagine the two GeForce 7900 (I hope I understood you right, there are two SLI cards, are there?) are producing a lot of heat. as you already speculated, maybe it's a heat problem.

if it can be done easily, maybe it's a good idea to open the laptop and make sure there's a good airflow to see if the problem goes away.

how about just getting one of those external cooling fan plates for the bottom of the laptop? about $49. oppening the laptop yourself would void the warrantly on it. btw google the problem and or check their website? you cant be the only one with the problem.

Archived