Interactive Whiteboards & Projectors

vin3e

Dear all,

My company is always meeting clients at our office (a small firm) and recently we've been making some technological upgrades. One of which is a move towards a projector or interactive whiteboard where we can display client information on a wall.

My question is:

- What is the most practical way to display something for the client to see whilst using the laptop to do other stuff. For example, the projector will initally show Welcome Mr Smith and then subsequently remain the same whilst my Director is perhaps showing him stuff on the laptop.

Is there a software for this? or perhaps dual screening might work for projectors?

- Would you choose a TV linked to a laptop dualscreened? or go all out for whiteboards and what not?

We have a decent budget of £1,500 and would deeply like any and all suggestions you guys have to offer. So far the cheapest is £600 but I want as many options to present to him.

Kindest regards,

Vincent.

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't recommend in testing when it comes to such

Projector, Screen, M$ Presentation tested way forward

I believe it is possible to freeze the 'outgoing video feed'. (Own experience: works fine (on a whiteboard).)

Freeze Frame:

This is a feature which "freezes" the projector image regardless of the projector input. When using a computer, this will lock the present image on the screen and keep it there while you do whatever you like on the computer. When you "unfreeze" the projector, it changes to whatever is then coming out of the computer.

Freeze Frame also works on Composite Video inputs. You can "freeze" the image from a Video Tape, DVD or Camera with no picture quality degradation.

Source: http://www.alectrosystems.com/video/projection/projector_specs.htm

So you should look for a projector with the 'Freeze Frame' function. It should allow you to do this by a keyboard shortcut, but I don't know for sure (you might need to use a remote).

A whiteboard is more multifunctional than a TV, where a TV might be the cheaper option (depends on what size, I guess ;)).

If you want a high level of functionality/flexibility then go for the interactive whiteboard otherwise projectors will do just fine BTW there are nowadays multitouch monitors/TV's available which can be hooked up with a desktop/notebook computer & provide you with the best possible solution having said that its a niche product so pretty expensive if you want a large display !

I appreciate all the advice guys and I will definitely research into each one especially the multi-touch screen monitor. Is it possible to purchase a wall mounted tv and then possibly buy a wifi dongle and connect it to the TV. Would this allow it to connect to the router and view images from the server?

My hardware knowledge is very bad :(

I appreciate all the advice guys and I will definitely research into each one especially the multi-touch screen monitor. Is it possible to purchase a wall mounted tv and then possibly buy a wifi dongle and connect it to the TV. Would this allow it to connect to the router and view images from the server?

My hardware knowledge is very bad :(

Exactly why I've recommended simple solution... it's you, but then somebody else has to make presentation/ make it compatible...

else

Brackets for TV mounting ~ £30- 100

and instead of using WRouter

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=289819&CatId=3641

much better option

Wow this fantastic. Now I can have full blown video presentations too! Thanks Atty/

One More question, Would I be able to surf the internet too? My Director was keen on doing little presentations then wowing them by doing standard computer stuff on the big screen.

I know it doesnt seem wow to show yourself using a computer on the big screen but it could cross the line between normal financial adviser to one that is evident in want to impress the client. Hopefully you understand lol.

try

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=480026&CatId=0

A/V Streaming via UPNP

A built-in UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) client has been integrated on the system, which enables the player to auto-detect UPnP Media Servers on the network to browse and stream media files from them.

NAS Network HDD / Media Player

Functions as NAS Network Drive accessible via networks. Plays / streams audio, video, image media from any device of your network.

then or so many other simple media streaming devices

Wow this fantastic. Now I can have full blown video presentations too! Thanks Atty/

One More question, Would I be able to surf the internet too? My Director was keen on doing little presentations then wowing them by doing standard computer stuff on the big screen.

I know it doesnt seem wow to show yourself using a computer on the big screen but it could cross the line between normal financial adviser to one that is evident in want to impress the client. Hopefully you understand lol.

I think you're getting a bit confused here, the device that Atasas mentioned streams content & is nowhere near what I've hinted (multitouch monitors) where you can operate a full blown OS like win7/Mac OS X through the tip of your fingers. Its like watching a stream of audio/video (like on TV) where you can rewind/play/pause/zoom but doesn't compare that to driving an OS & the only thing you have to look for is the connectivity options for the monitor but again I'll reiterate that these things are totally different & you might need a wifi setup (if supported) should you decide to go wireless.

Lemme sum it up for you :-

1) If you want a certain level of interactivity go for whiteboard.

2) For better audio/visual effects you have projectors.

3) The best of both worlds is the touch enabled monitor but real expensive incase of large display size.

I think if you ain't gonna setup the devices for the presentation then you can go for a complex setup like that with a monitor otherwise its really a tossup between projector/whiteboard & is totally upto your level of convenience & affordability !

@vin3e

If you just use a normal VGA cable, DVI cable or HDMI cable. To connect your laptop/PC to your projector (project on whiteboard) then anything you do on the PC will be shown on the whiteboard (if you freeze the image, then this stops of course). We use this setup at our school (the whiteboard even works with touch) and I think it's hard to imagine that they paid more than 1500 pound for this, so you should be able to purchase this.

Just wow at the response. Thank you ALL for helping me out.

After a little research (and common logic), I have decided to opt for shoughts idea of simply a projector and a cable.

The projector I have opted to go for is the 3M 150M .. I think thats what it is anyway.

Well apparently they dont cast alot and our budget is well over the expected total amount. Win/win situation for me and my director heh.

Love to you all.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wow at the response. Thank you ALL for helping me out.

After a little research (and common logic), I have decided to opt for shoughts idea of simply a projector and a cable.

The projector I have opted to go for is the 3M 150M .. I think thats what it is anyway.

Well apparently they dont cast alot and our budget is well over the expected total amount. Win/win situation for me and my director heh.

Love to you all.

(Late reply.)

Let us know whether it worked out as expected or if you have any difficulties ;)

Archived