Look for great partition free tool

Authur

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ll suggest you Partition wizard home edition it contains lots of other features which is not in windows7 built in windows7 and its free too

In the segment of 'Partition Tools' the terms 'great' and 'free' don't go hand-in-hand. ;)

Not true.

However, if you still insist on a 'free' tool, then it's pointless using a third-party Partition Manager - the one built into Windows Se7en is as good or as mediocre as any third party freeware. 8)

Also not true.

Partition Wizard Home Edition 5.X or EASEUS Partition Master 6.X Home Edition are both excellent free partition tools.

Hello.

Two great Live CD (USB ?) tools

- GParted

- Parted Magic (core programs of GParted)

Else, Acronis products are great (but not all free)

Cheers.

++

Appears nobody else has a good vote for g-parted...? have not tested perhaps?

as for topic reply- this is by far best free, uncomplicated, user friendly, fast tool.

Support forum

G-Parted 0.6.4-1 .iso download

Load of screenshots

I vote for G-Parted but not their live disc, their live disc is not as user friendly or awesome looking as Parted Magic. Also I had problems where G-Parted live disc gave errors and could not boot due to the distribution of linux they use. I tried the G-Parted live cd on my ASUS UL30 and it didn't want to boot for some reason but Parted Magic booted up so I still got to use the very excellent G-Parted partitioner. In light of the problems and difficulties associated with the linux distro used by g-parted for their live disc I instead use Parted Magic. It basically uses the same GParted partitioner but the difference is the live linux distribution works better.

About Parted Magic

The Parted Magic OS employs core programs of GParted and Parted to handle partitioning tasks with ease, while featuring other useful programs (e.g. Clonezilla, Partimage, TestDisk, Truecrypt, G4L, SuperGrubDisk, ddrescue, etc...) and an excellent set of documentation to benefit the user. An extensive collection of file system tools are also included, as Parted Magic supports the following: ext2, ext3, ext4, fat16, fat32, hfs, hfs+, jfs, linux-swap, ntfs, reiserfs, reiser4, and xfs.

Parted Magic requires at least a i586 processor and 256MB of RAM to operate or 128MB in "Live" mode.

Features

• Format internal and external hard drives.
  • Move, copy, create, delete, expand & shrink hard drive partitions.
  • Clone your hard drive, to create a full backup.
  • Test hard drives for impending failure.
  • Test memory for bad sectors.
  • Benchmark your computer for a performance rating.
  • Securely erase your entire hard drive, wiping it clean from all data.
  • Gives access to non-booting systems allowing you to rescue important data.
  • Runs from the CD, no install required.

Screen shots here.

Download Parted Magic here.

@ LeetPirate:

Yes complications of boot are possible down to some reasons, that are related to boot configuration. For example if sys have no SATA drives- use some of builds 0.3.1 or even older. USB boot options require another PC (for novice) to read on how to, thats all, not that I could disagree with your post. Regarding ASUS... unfortunately trend in later years of software "taking care" of everything has got serious dowsides- I'd guess BIOS was not allowing RAM dumping in that particular case?

ANW Older days I remember performing miracles using G-Parted- system crashed unrepairable... got G-parted shrunk main partition by 3.5GB; installed new XP on it, extracted everything form bad system partition and since, always use separate main partition (20%-50%) of whole maindrive for programs , desktop etc and remainder for OS independent Media / Progs/ Docs... not worried to have a crash ever! B)

My vote still goes for Partition Wizard Home Edition, I recently discovered it and it has served me well since then, it offers creating a bootable CD which saved me a lot of grief on several occasions and it's GUI is very simple and easy to use.

@Atasas: I cannot remember the exact error I got but basically I was using a external USB dvd burner drive to boot G-Parted live cd and it could not boot. The Official G-Parted live cd was my first choice but when it didn't work in my situation I began searching for other tools and I found Parted Magic that basically gave me the same G-Parted program I wanted but came with a different live linux distribution that worked for my situation. I am forever sold on G-Parted as my best partitioning software so I always recommend it to anyone. ;)

@Lohengrin: I never used the programs that allow you to create a boot cd after you install them because most of the times when I do need a partitioning software it's because everything is destroyed and I have no OS on the system, lol. I find it easier to download Parted Magic ISO and burn it to rewritable. You should check out the interface and options of G-Parted. There are some neat things like "round to nearest MB" and "round to nearest cylinder" I use it to calculate the partition size accurately so I won't end up with those tiny 8MB useless partitions. I guess the only time I would use a Windows App to partition is if I have to resize on a working OS or something.

@Lohengrin: I never used the programs that allow you to create a boot cd after you install them because most of the times when I do need a partitioning software it's because everything is destroyed and I have no OS on the system, lol. I find it easier to download Parted Magic ISO and burn it to rewritable. You should check out the interface and options of G-Parted. There are some neat things like "round to nearest MB" and "round to nearest cylinder" I use it to calculate the partition size accurately so I won't end up with those tiny 8MB useless partitions. I guess the only time I would use a Windows App to partition is if I have to resize on a working OS or something.

Umm...for your information, Partition Wizard Home Edition is already integrated in Hiren's BootCD 11.X (also contains GParted, I believe) , also you can download the bootable CD from the official website for FREE. And regarding the GUI, I believe PWHE has a more familiar interface, but maybe that's just me.

Well, I hope that helps and in case I suggest you give PWHE a try then judge for yourself ;)

Umm...for your information, Partition Wizard Home Edition is already integrated in Hiren's BootCD 11.X (also contains GParted, I believe) , also you can download the bootable CD from the official website for FREE. And regarding the GUI, I believe PWHE has a more familiar interface, but maybe that's just me.

Well, I hope that helps and in case I suggest you give PWHE a try then judge for yourself ;)

Ohh, didn't know it was on Hiren's. I'm on the other side of the fence with that one though because I'm more of an Ultimate Boot CD user than Hiren's. :D I will be sure to take note of Partition Wizard Home Edition for future use. Thankfully I don't need to do any partitioning right now which is a good thing for me cuz it means all my systems are working well. You can never have too many tools in your pc fixing arsenal.

Those are merely 'good' tools - the OP is looking for 'great' partition mangers not 'good' ones. :coolwink:

Gowd.. dude, take a chill pill?

Its a matter of opinions now, topic poster would <ideally, have his say on his experience... :drunk:

Archived