Windows vista -___-

elohelomg

So, i decided to do soemthing nice for my friends father, to my great dismay, and figured I'd upgrade his windows vista, to win7. The normal thing to do, right?

SO, i upgraded his laptop, and the problems started to pour in. First, he was complaining that he couldn't play a pirated movie that was burned in .vob, and his media player couldn't open it,

then his hard drive crashed, which i was blamed for, and replaced.

Now, hes telling me hes having memory issues, so im going to put windows vista back on. He was giving me sh*t, so im going to register his copy of winodws vista, and use his product key to enter it in. Now, i'm not sure if his was x86 or 64, but in any case, can i use his serial to register it? Or does it have to be the exact one?

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

It's always recommend to do a clean install instead of a upgrade. Even if you upgrade, you should follow all the instructions posted on the M$ website before you upgrade thingy.

Even so, I don't think W7 is the cause of the problems. I would say that for Vista not for Win7.

I believe serials should work on both x32 and x64.

It's always recommend to do a clean install instead of a upgrade. Even if you upgrade, you should follow all the instructions posted on the M$ website before you upgrade thingy.

Even so, I don't think W7 is the cause of the problems. I would say that for Vista not for Win7.

I believe serials should work on both x32 and x64.

I never upgrade, i always do a clean install. and this is great, i can just put his serial, make it a legit copy, and tell him to F*CK off :D

• Administrator

I don't think that his problems are going to be solved by Vista. ;)

Yeah.. I agree with DK.. for legitimate terms.. some people.. will never be pleased, they will never listen, understand the words that are coming out of your mouth.. and some will never have the skills to learn to be able to go forward with anything.. and this can be especially true of people who feel antagonized by change itself... some I think due to a life full of it.. for some it is simply going to be something they are comfortable with.. Some can't listen because it would knock down the blinders and break them out of there little box...where they are solely focused on some twisted psychological outpour of dysfunction..

I would install his version of Vista back on the system.. Ask him ( probably at the sake of enduring more abuse ) if he knows if he had x64.. if anything go online and do a search for his system and see what it had on it to begin with.. and go with that.. If he was using 32 and used certain programs and had certain options.. he may not have them with 64 and may make mistakes himself in even doing so..

I would attempt to return the system to the state that it was in prior to the upgrade in the way of the programs you remember and so on..

The VOB issue could have been solved I believe... and probably had technically nothing to do with the Windows 7.. but the hard drive crashing could have been due to several factors.. but more than likely not your fault... Especially if there was no warning.. and it may even be a trump card he is playing to get back something that he changed his mind about ( and I am hoping that he was the one making the decision to do so.. )

After you have done everything you can to return it back.. Apologize and stay physically out of contact or in a place you could have even had access to it...DO NOT do another thing for your friend or his dad's system.. This can become a problem.. especially if something doesn't seem right.. then it probably isn't... back away ... wash your hands of it do not look back.. Just my opinion.. but I think it could be in your best interest when it comes to things of this nature .. concerning others.. not saying that you should lose the friends.. but take it under advisement.. ( Sometimes this can trigger a slew on stress related issues.. that have nothing to do with you.. insanity from misunderstanding can bring much pain and kill the innocent.. or their lives .. with a HUGE negative impact.. especially from guys who claim they are 'MEN' but are void of 70% of what their humanity states.. )

I ran into the same problem with my family.. ( wrote about it here before ) ..crappy choice in computers regardless of what they say.. the hardware peaks for itself.. and the coupled with the inability to listen to whats being said, and maintain a system.. or even take the next steps.. Some for what its worth need to be on the end of a thin client and able to do nothing and have to worry with nothing.. especially if they reject the knowledge they so desperately need..

If you run a business .. its different.. all the way around.. and situations, task, and contracts are binding... They pay .. services are rendered.. and if there is anything more.. its their problem.. You don't get to have a schizophrenic embolism.. or abuse people to get what you want... ( and if you give in and don't have them removed and banned from the property your an idiot.. ) .. BUT Point being its different...

Its nice to give of yourself.. and even improve some things.. but for different variables it may not always be the best decision in relativeness to yourself.. and the price they cost you.. You will learn it as you move on.. and you find that truthfully for some people to understand they will simply have to learn on their own.. Even advise in some cases.. depending on the person ( and we don't always have fair warning ).. would not be a good idea.. Because the inability to do anything proper with it..

Finish your updates first then have it check online for drivers..devices..

I downloaded the drivers manually, but it still wont find any networks. Oh god, here we go

Have you used the keyboard to turn on the wireless? - This gets more people than you know..

While the keyboard does glow red (indicating no wireless), there is no "button" to turn it on.

seems some of the services are disabled perhaps.

What model system is it?

Home Premium? HP DV7 1240? not sure what you mean.

Well I was going to see if I could get a picture of the keyboard.. see like mine has a Fn key which stands for function.. and you can turn on a number pad.. and use other functions.. Thinking that it could have something like that.. The old ones had the light and button on one thing.. so I dunno.. on this.. one.. Looks different.. but I went to the HP site and found drivers and all kinds of stuff.. but nothing what I was looking for .. Should be something simple though..

EDIT: Link to stuff for that system BTW.. JIC .. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3860622

What model system is it?

Home Premium? HP DV7 1240? not sure what you mean.

Well I was going to see if I could get a picture of the keyboard.. see like mine has a Fn key which stands for function.. and you can turn on a number pad.. and use other functions.. Thinking that it could have something like that.. The old ones had the light and button on one thing.. so I dunno.. on this.. one.. Looks different.. but I went to the HP site and found drivers and all kinds of stuff.. but nothing what I was looking for .. Should be something simple though..

EDIT: Link to stuff for that system BTW.. JIC .. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3860622

Think its something to do with that little button. Just re formatted, nothing. gunna mess with it for a bit.

So, i decided to do soemthing nice for my friends father, to my great dismay, and figured I'd upgrade his windows vista, to win7. The normal thing to do, right?

SO, i upgraded his laptop, and the problems started to pour in. First, he was complaining that he couldn't play a pirated movie that was burned in .vob, and his media player couldn't open it,

then his hard drive crashed, which i was blamed for, and replaced.

Now, hes telling me hes having memory issues, so im going to put windows vista back on. He was giving me sh*t, so im going to register his copy of winodws vista, and use his product key to enter it in. Now, i'm not sure if his was x86 or x64, but in any case, can i use his serial to register it? Or does it have to be the exact one?

His laptop is an OEM that came with Vista preinstalled and a sticker under it with the serial?

Well in that case his serial will never work because it was never used in the first place, those serials printed on stickers are dummy serials that are worthless. OEM companies use a single Royalty OEM serial for mass installation of all their OS. Get the royalty OEM key for his brand of laptop and use it. Check the sticker under his laptop to see it it was 32bit or 64bit edition.

Also he's a moron but I know about your situation and it's the same reason I stopped going out of my way to do free favours for people. :rolleyes:

unknownasphyxiated

I've installed the drivers, but it seems that they do no "install".

The device manager does not find the driver i install

try use Automatic Product Detection

link

this link should direct you to download page...based on your post

HP DV7 1240

must check whether 32/64 bit

I figured it out guys. The MORON forgot to mention he had his computer "fixed" before, and guess what, they replaced the hard drive (supposedly) as well, and, it just so happens they replaced the wireless nic too. so then, i found out which particular one it was, and now, all is well.

But now, there seems to be another problem, he wants me to make sure that something called a "super connector", i dont know what, and yea.

Its a circular thingie, with a tv with 2 antena's sticking out. I dont know what the hell that is. I'll post a picture of it up.

img00068wi.jpg

What does he want you to do with the Super Connector.. ( I know what I would do with it at this point.. ).. for automotive?

EDIT: This is an S-Video Connection.. I believe.. I am doubting he has ever used it... Does he even know much about computing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

S-Video was also adopted in the graphics card market in the early 2000s as a video-output solution, from computers to TVs...

Got a TV that is a few decades old.. that will receive a connection? ... or an ancient S-VHS Recorder?

• Administrator

I believe that's S-Video port.

There is a connection that looks like S-video but isn't... it is for older laptops/computers though. The name of it completely alludes me. The pin arrangement would be different from s-video though. This picture is too blurry for me to know though. Woo... a+ certification studying ftw... except I only read the first 10% of the book. Fail.

Archived