Problem with RAM

AshTheGamer

Hi all,

I just orderd some more ram for my PC I have also just upgraded to Windows 64BIT.

When I try adding the other 2 x 2gb sticks making 8GB the screen does not come on no BIOS Post or BEEP Nothing...

I have tried with 6GB the same again nothing happens.

I have put the new sticks in the slots where the old ones go it works so they are not faulty....

How can I get my PC working on 8Gig of Ram....

For some reason also my BIOS is showing me it is only working in single channel mode and I can't seem to find where to change it, I have done in the past though.

My Mother board is a P5P43TD.

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

I just orderd some more ram for my PC I have also just upgraded to Windows 64BIT.

When I try adding the other 2 x 2gb sticks making 8GB the screen does not come on no BIOS Post or BEEP Nothing...

I have tried with 6GB the same again nothing happens.

I have put the new sticks in the slots where the old ones go it works so they are not faulty....

How can I get my PC working on 8Gig of Ram....

For some reason also my BIOS is showing me it is only working in single channel mode and I can't seem to find where to change it, I have done in the past though.

My Mother board is a P5P43TD.

The only possible reason for this is that there's something wrong with your mobo ram slots as you've also mentioned that BIOS ain't showing dual channel so I'd suggest take that mobo for repair or get it replaced btw if you could elaborate on your rigs details (like mem speed, FSB, CPU multiplier, NB/SB voltage) you might have a problem there instead !

Just to add use the jumper on the mobo(then choose optimal default on next boot) to reset all the settings & see whether that works also you should update the BIOS if there's a more recent one available.

The only possible reason for this is that there's something wrong with your mobo ram slots as you've also mentioned that BIOS ain't showing dual channel so I'd suggest take that mobo for repair or get it replaced btw if you could elaborate on your rigs details (like mem speed, FSB, CPU multiplier, NB/SB voltage) you might have a problem there instead !

Just to add use the jumper on the mobo(then choose optimal default on next boot) to reset all the settings & see whether that works also you should update the BIOS if there's a more recent one available.

It cannot be my ram slots they are all working fine. Only thing that is changed in my BIOS is the CPU Multiplier which is at 7.5, All of the other settings are set to Auto

You should try with 2 GB only and if it runs, check if you find an upgrade to your mobo BIOS

2GB runs fine. I have also upgraded my BIOS already.

7.5 X (?) Check the FSB if its too high(are all the mem speeds same) then the RAM with lower speed won't work e.g. I've got my wolfdale at 13x230(3Ghz) with RAM at 920 MHz(maxed out at 960 MHz) but when I rev it up to 13x250(3.25GHz) I have to lower the RAM(DDR2 800) to 833 MHz since it doesn't work at 1GHz !

If everything's fine (all the components & BIOS settings) then you're not putting the RAM in its slot properly, that's the only thing I can think of, btw did you try the jumper or use the optimal safe/default settings from BIOS to check them ?

7.5 X (?)

Are the mem speeds (2x2 GB) same ? If you can post your system specs (use EVEREST ULTIMATE Edition incase) otherwise if everything's fine (all the components & BIOS settings) then you're not putting the RAM in its slot properly, that's the only thing I can think of, btw did you try the jumper or use the optimal safe/default settings from BIOS to check the RAM ?

Yes everything in the ram part is Auto so will all be the same.

Here is the system spec's you requested:- dm-312857814315.png

I am not sure how,what or where jumper is :/ I am not good when it comes to motherboards and BIOS.

To reset BIOS settings, if there's no jumper you have to remove power cable from power source and peripherals connected to CPU, then remove the battery from the mobo for five minutes. Then re-connect everything and done!

The set of RAM (corsair) seems fine now if all of them (the rest of the 4 GB) have the same speed (say 1333 MHz) then there's no way you should have any problems, you don't have to use the jumper if all of them are working (maybe not in an 8 GB setup per se) but in case you're overclocking or the default BIOS settings are not in place

1) press del before POST to enter BIOS setup then load optimal default settings & reboot

2) now check the 4 RAM modules in 2GB at a time then in 2x2GB & (2x2) + (2x2) GB setup

If any of these setup fails see whether those RAM modules work with another rig(system/PC) - if working with another setup & not yours then either your mobo is faulty OR else one of your RAM modules is (assuming that the RAM modules aren't loose in their slots & neither any other cables like power/SATA) !

It might be a bit confusing since I don't use the best choice of words out there but hope that some of it might be helpful to you :D

To reset BIOS settings, if there's no jumper you have to remove power cable from power source and peripherals connected to CPU, then remove the battery from the mobo for five minutes. Then re-connect everything and done! 

I have just done this now however still unable to boot with 6GB OR 8GB ram :/

The set of RAM (corsair) seems fine now if all of them (the rest of the 4 GB) have the same speed (say 1333 MHz) then there's no way you should have any problems, you don't have to use the jumper if all of them are working (maybe not in an 8 GB setup per se) but in case you're overclocking or the default BIOS settings are not in place

1) press del before POST to enter BIOS setup then load optimal default settings & reboot

2) now check the 4 RAM modules in 2GB at a time then in 2x2GB & (2x2) + (2x2) GB setup

If any of these setup fails see whether those RAM modules work with another rig(system/PC) - if working with another setup & not yours then either your mobo is faulty OR else one of your RAM modules is (assuming that the RAM modules aren't loose in their slots & none of the other connectors like power/SATA are loose) !

It might be a bit confusing since I don't use the best choice of words out there but hope that some of it might be helpful to you :D

I have just done the jumper and I have just checked the speeds on both ram which are 1333mhz. It only fails when I put in 6GB or 8GB the rest of the time it works.

You have this:

Old stick 1 (os1), old stick 2 (os2), new stick 1 (ns1) and new stick 2 (ns2).

Also

Slot 1, 2, 3 and 4.

You have confirmed that the new sticks are working because when you insert them in the first two slots they work. Did you try putting 4GB (2 x 2GB) in the last 2 slots (3 and 4) to make sure the slots aren't screwed up?

You definitely don't need more than 700W.

With a quad core cpu & a GTX 470 & 4 ram modules(2GB each) that's hardly the case now I've got a 450 W PSU & pentium e5300, Barracuda LP & a single module 2GB mem that's barely enough to keep it running btw what's the 12V rating on your SMPS if its 20A or above then you're good or else you'll definitely have to look for a higher rating on that !

You have this:

Old stick 1 (os1), old stick 2 (os2), new stick 1 (ns1) and new stick 2 (ns2).

Also

Slot 1, 2, 3 and 4.

You have confirmed that the new sticks are working because when you insert them in the first two slots they work. Did you try putting 4GB (2 x 2GB) in the last 2 slots (3 and 4) to make sure the slots aren't screwed up?

You definitely don't need more than 700W.

That is correct,

I have done this, all the slots are working fine its just when I add more than 4GIG it wont post,beep,boot anything...

With a quad core cpu & a GTX 470 & 4 ram modules(2GB each) that's hardly the case now I've got a 450 W PSU & pentium e5300, Barracuda LP & a single module 2GB mem that's barely enough to keep it running btw what's the 12V rating on your SMPS if its 20A or above then you're good or else you'll definitely have to look for a higher rating on that !

No idea what the rating is Sorry.

Did you try combining one of the new modules with an old module? (So 2 x 2GB, but an old module with a new module.)

This to rule out module incompatibility.

I will try now hold on....

Update:-

I tried this and it worked I then tried adding the other stick and it worked and booted fine so now 6GB is working fine however I tried adding the last stick and it didn't work. any more ideas :/?

I will try now hold on....

Update:-

I tried this and it worked I then tried adding the other stick and it worked and booted fine so now 6GB is working fine however I tried adding the last stick and it didn't work. any more ideas :/?

The mem contact with the slot might be loose so try pressing/placing the RAM carefully in the slot one at a time & reboot.

I have tried this pushing, pulling, want me to use a hammer?

I will try again once my GTA 4 has installed.

I have tried this pushing, pulling, want me to use a hammer?

I will try again once my GTA 4 has installed.

I've had this problem till last year when I was on P4 & a couple of DDR sticks powering my windows XP desktop the reason is simple :-

the loose contact of the module within the slot !

If all of them are working fine (2GB at a time) then there is no way a DDR RAM won't work with another DDR module or DDR2/DDR3(in your case) for that matter even DDR4 cause they all have the same slots & follow JEDEC standard. The only case is when you're overclocking & a lower rated mem can't keep up with the speed of the higher rated one otherwise in normal circumstances the latter will work at slower speeds equivalent to that of the former !

Personally, I believe Asus is no longer a company worth buying from.

Over the last two to three years I have seen their quality and reliability fall through the floor and I have frequently had to replace Asus boards.

Just today I had a PC come in here with a blown cap on the Asus board.

Their website has historically sucked for getting drivers from too, though they do seem improved in that area lately.

I did notice that about there website to the homepage is up to date however the back end pages such as drivers and support the most active of the site looks like IBM's website in 1990!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived